1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

New Muppet Abby Cadabby heads to the Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by gfarkwort, Aug 6, 2006.

1. luckiebrat

luckiebrat New Member

Why does she have to be a Grouch?

So what are we saying here, that because she is cute and likes pink and is a fairy she can't play football with the boys or hop on a pogo stick.. really though.. when was the last time we argued about Barbie.. hey barbie is a doctor , vet and everything else under the sun.:excited:
  2. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

I think Abby is a great character and you can't completely judge her yet after 2 introductory episodes. We don't know her full potential yet and what her purpose in the curiculum will be. Give her a chance and let's see what she does in her upcoming appearance. I think she is some nice fresh blood (which is what Elmo was originally for).
  3. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah, I gonna have to agre with bear and say that I seems time to give the show some new life now.

Ya know, old doesn't maen bad, but new doesn't have to either.
  4. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

IS it true that ther;l be new episodes on the 27th and 30th? I'll keep my eye's open and alarm clock set, so at leats I'll try to keep mt eyes open, LOL!
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Sad yes, but I think Abby Kadabby is Monsterously annoying, and the worst thing to come out of SS in some time. Her incessant catchphrases seem planned out, and while the puppeteer has talent, I think the character is horrible to begin with.

The problem? Some of Jim's best characters aren't exactly P.C. Miss Piggy and Janice are both played by men, and the Chef? That musta upset some Swedes. Oscar isn't P.C., and neither is Cookie Monster (especially with all that foofarah about him eating veggies, which was blown out of proportion)

That is with out a doubt the most beautiful thing I have ever heard about Elmo. Sure, a lot of so called die hards hate him, and even I think he gets waaaay too much screen time, but little kids LOVE him to death. He is cute. He is cuddly. I liked Elmo when I was younger, even though he didn't do too much then. I remeber he had some excellent I -deeeeeee-ahs for Games with Kermit. I went through an "I hate Elmo" phase because of the Tickle me fad (I even didn't like SS for a time in High School, I'm well over it). But I realized the character is so passionately performed by Kevin, and to look at all the other characrters he performs, he has an AMAZING range. Heck... he even performed a puppet version of LeVar Burton once.

But, Abby seems like a contractual obligation. Her episodes were routine, "hey! Someone's new to Sesame Street! Let's see how she interacts with the other characters," much like that one actual human handicapped girl from a few years back. Plus, I do think the Puppet looks very Un Sesame like. I like how they're going new directions in Puppet Designs (I never thought I'd see the day a Richard Belzer Muppet would be made, and it looks perfectly like him!) But the cute, big blue eyes... nahh... looks out of place.

So, I guess she's going to Lulu, Mary Monster, Biff's daughter (or niece) pergatory, and never be seen again... unless they plan to have her in next season more... I sure hope not, though.
  6. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Abby is supposed to be in a new episode this week or next.
  7. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

It's tommorrow Bear.
  8. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Sah-weet!!:D
  9. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I can't wait either1 I can't wait to see the look on Oscar's face when she turns His Soppy jaloppy into a pumkin, LOL!
  10. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Is that what's supposed to happen? Sounds funny!
  11. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Oscar and Grundgetta prepare for a car race. but their vehicle won't start, and Oscar is hesitant to accept help from Maria and Luis, while Grundgetta welcomes the offer.

Funny thing is it's Gna's Baby bottle that knocks into it and makes it start. But they win the race anyway becaus the car that moves the slowest is the winner. So thay take a car sputtering vitory lap, haha!
  12. Big Bird Fan

Big Bird Fan Member

I know this was already answered, but I just wanted to point out there is no next week. Tomorrow is the season finale. :(
  13. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

But they still could have choosen to have aired it next week.
  14. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I agree that Abby looks as if she were designed for some other kids' show, and that her introduction was seriously over-hyped (come on, she's appeared in only three episodes this season!). With everyone else's fairy godthings turning up lately, she isn't as distinctive as the producers meant her to be either. Even Abby's limited magical skills make her a literal one-trick character: if she doesn't learn some new, different spells soon, I agree that Abby will be written off in a season or two.

P.S. Speaking of the Swedish Chef, I am one of those Swedish-speakers who finds that character annoying. If I have to convince people that the language doesn't really sound like "bork-bork-bork" one more time... *grrrr*
  15. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

I'm sure they will find some new things for Abby in the next season. Remember she is just a little girl and that is the one trick she know right now. As she gets "older" she will learn more stuff. Remember that she was mainly brought in as "new blood" which was needed. There hasn't been a new character really for quite sometime, particularly a female. They are still testing her out. I'll bet you she is more popular than you think and that is among the younger kids (her own age group) that she is meant to relate to. The producers don't care if you (a grownup) likes her, she is meant to be appealing to a toddler. It's the same with Elmo. I don't care if the adult population finds him annoying and obnoxious. The point is, the kids love him and he is beneficial to their learning/growing. That's all that really matters.

For the record, I think Abby is adorable.
  16. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Yeah the audience that SS is targeting is what's important. Not those who are past the target age.
  17. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Abby's design was ment to not look look like Elmo, Grover, Zoe, Bert, Ernie, Oscar, Cookie or have that traditional "Muppet look". Abby was conceptualized as a way to simultaneously introduce a new female character to the show and add someone from a completly different culture (in order to do some episodes with "cultural differences/misunderstandings" without being so preachy). In an NPR interview it was said that Abby's design was an intentional departure from the typical "Muppet look", because she's not originally from the Sesame Street universe. The implication is that the fairies in her old neighborhood are like her and she doesn't quite fit the look of the rest of the world on Sesame Street.

Granted it was over-hyped (but then again when hasn't a Sesame Street event not been blown out of proportion - from Cookie's "diet" and an HIV Muppet to "Ernie's death" and Bert & Ernie's "relationship"?). The press has a long history of this kind of thing. However it is a somewhat major event for the show. Yet I'm sure if she was the center of "too many" episodes this season people would erupt with rage that she was "taking over" and being "forced upon us". In her first season, without having any real audience feedback yet (to see if people really do like and respond to her) and with no fanbase yet, I'm sure producers didn't want this season to be all about Abby (you know putting all their eggs in one basket this early on could have resulted in disaster). However Leslie Carrara (Abby's performer) said that she'll be returning next season. So Abby will be back.
  18. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

It's just not always that simple. Just because a character is cute and happy or popular doesn't mean they are helpful to children or education. Hey, the Stepford Wives were cute, happy, brightly colored and cheerful too. They represent everything that's good, wholesome and wonderful. What's wrong with that?

What's wrong is that they lacked life, heart and originality. They lived in an isolated fantasy world with no problems. Only it wasn't real. They weren't real. Frank Oz's remake may not have been perfect, but it did teach that much.

Sesame Street's main audience is children, but that doesn't mean their content should talk down to them. Teenagers (and parents) loved Brittany Spears for being happy, cute and popular too, but her music was not particularly original and her image was not helpful to girls. And that is important. I'm not saying modern Sesame Street is necessarily harmful. I'm saying it's entertaining, but not much else.

Through the years, the most successful and long lasting children's entertainment have been those that challenged children and assumed they were smarter than "Yay, let's have fun!" Rocky and Bullwinkle are still fresh (and popular) forty years later. It's old, and it still works.

"Elmo's World" has been around maybe 8 years. That sounds impresive. Except when you consider Sesame Street without "Elmo's World" lasted for nearly three decades. Let's wait and see how long "Elmo's World" endures.

Changing your image to fit the current trends very often includes sacrificing your quality.

That being said, I don't think Abby's that bad from what I've seen, so this isn't directed so much at her.
  19. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Why are you telling me this?
  20. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

No disrespect intended, I was just replying to what you wrote. ;)