On Writing Fan Fiction (Discussion)

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
^ Ah, thank you. I thought that might be his name but couldn't be sure :smile:

I'll check out your story.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Have there ever been any fanfics about how SST got started? (not as a show, but more like it was a real place?) Also, would a dark fic about The Count being a real vampire (even if he really isn't in the real show) be too out of line? I have this idea, and even my best friend since middle school (he is not even as big of a muppet fan as me) thinks it would be funny in a dark-but still in character written out of love sort of way. I have years of experience writing vampire fics :3 ..

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Hmm.. I've never heard of a "SST Beginning" story, but then I've never looked for a SST story before :smile: I say go for it if you want to.

As for The Count, I'd try to keep it in character and believable, and be sure to warn people (since the show is supposed to be for toddlers and children) :smile:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I have a question for you fraggle writers. I want to write a story where Red becomes very (possibly fatally) ill because she eats something from Outer Space. I figure because it's been unheard of to interact with "silly creatures" outside of Gobo and Uncle Matt before, their little bodies wouldn't know what to make of foreign food or even smells.

I just can't think of what she could eat that would cause so much damage (a donut or other sweet? Something as simple as a ham sandwich?) and what the fraggles might call her mystery sickness. Although I'm sure Uncle Matt lived on "silly creature" food while exploring, which I guess kinda screws up the idea? Should it just be a smell or poison, then?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Solution: she's allergic to something (that way, Matt can continue to eat Silly Creature food and yet Red can be hurt by it)

Beauregard

Reaction score
Or, Uncle Matt can explain that he had the same issues, and how he overcame them, or how he eats healthily when he can. If you do make it a donut, or something sweet/fatty then the fic could, to some degree, be relevant to our times, in that the government (yay) has finally figured out that diets are affecting health.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions!

I don't want her to simply get a tummy ache or spend a week running to the bathroom (wherever and however it is that fraggles go XD), something more serious. It's a cool idea to comment on just how bad sweets can be for you, and then everybody would wonder WHY a "silly creature" would want to put something like that in their body.

Did Uncle Matt eat those Christmas cookies in the holiday episode?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't remember him ever eating any "human" food. When at the fast food place, he watches them "race" and then falls asleep. In the Xmas ep, he takes the cookie, says he "could get used to it" ... implying he ate it.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Really if anything, I think eating any sort of meat might be a better idea, since they don't seem to, and it has already been shown that fraggles can handle sugar and fat in their own form of candy just fine. I don't know...I guess I am a bit jaded, I have seen many many 'so and so is sick' fanfics in other fandoms and this is the only time I think I could see the vegetarian vs. meat cultures idea working. If course, if you are going to make it food and not just a human waste product you have to be very careful it just doesn't come off as a rant against eating _______ to such a level that the idea overshadows any other plot and makes it just a fraggle PSA :\

RedPiggy

Reaction score
LOL ... please don't let Fraggles work for PETA ... I don't think I could handle it :big_grin: