1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

On Writing Fan Fiction (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Redsonga, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

It is funny to see things like that... I think if any fandom would be open to reading fan takes on characters it would be the muppets :). I mean with other types of movies you only have the writers and actors but with the muppets and fraggles there is a whole other layer to how the puppeteers can bring them to life and have a say so in what they will and won't do even with a hot glue gun aimed at them :coy:...

All Hallow's is done! Yay!..I think I'm starting to really have faith in myself actually being able to finish things :3
  2. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I have a/some question (s):
    What to you makes a one shot a one shot? The fact that it is all done in one part or the fact that it stands on its' own? When does a one shot become just a normal short story? And then, when does a short story get to be called just a full size story? Is it based just on word count? I know answers to most of these questions for offline fiction but not so much for fanfic...
  3. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I don't know if there's an actual definition. I just consider it a single story with a beginning, middle, and end by the end of the first post.
  4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I short of think of one shorts as being stories that never link up to any bigger story or series..like they can stand alone and be a part of the universe, but no one has to read anything else you write to 'get it' :)
  5. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

How are everyones' stories coming along? :) I just found all my little notebooks I start mine in so everything is going pretty well :3
  6. RedPiggy

Well, I'm debating how long to deal with mine. Moulin is thinking of going over others' heads to fix certain problems. I don't want to get too heavy-handed with it, though. I'm willing to think that I'm about 3-6 chapters away from being done.
  7. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

I've been thinking of writing a FR story, but I don't think I'd to the show justice (plus, I can't think of a story to focus on :p).
  8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I never thought I could ether and here I am *lol*:excited:
    I recommend watching the series two times through before you start, that is my (crazy) method :3. And then, watching the episodes you want to draw the most on in your story a few times more (using an episode as a spring-broad for an idea will help to make it feel more connected naturally).
    It is funny, but after you watch a certain number of episodes is easy to get into the overall feeling of the shows songs IMHO (plot is fine and dandy but songs are the heart of FR I think:excited:).
  9. bazooka_beak

You know what? Somebody needs to write a Cotterpin/Whatshisname (LOL, I can't remember his name - he's Cotterpin's Doozer friend) fanfic.
  10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Oh gosh, I can only imagine what would happen if I started to write doozer fanfic to :confused:
    The weird thing is I don't even really like the doozers but it seems like whenever I write about characters I dislike it is some some of my best writing...
    Now Cotterpin/ Large Marvin I might do some day, not only because it is just so odd but it is pretty much canon for at least one episode :3
  11. RedPiggy

*coughEmergency of Doozer Domecough*

Technically, this is a play by and for humans, so I don't know whether to assume the plot takes place in my universe or not. However, it stars Cotterpin. She wants to make a name for herself by building the first Doozer amusement park. However, other issues come up....

edit: Wrench is Cotterpin's friend.
  12. bazooka_beak

^ Ah, thank you. I thought that might be his name but couldn't be sure :)

I'll check out your story.
  13. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Have there ever been any fanfics about how SST got started? (not as a show, but more like it was a real place?) Also, would a dark fic about The Count being a real vampire (even if he really isn't in the real show) be too out of line? I have this idea, and even my best friend since middle school (he is not even as big of a muppet fan as me) thinks it would be funny in a dark-but still in character written out of love sort of way. I have years of experience writing vampire fics :3 ..
  14. bazooka_beak

Hmm.. I've never heard of a "SST Beginning" story, but then I've never looked for a SST story before :) I say go for it if you want to.

As for The Count, I'd try to keep it in character and believable, and be sure to warn people (since the show is supposed to be for toddlers and children) :)
  15. bazooka_beak

I have a question for you fraggle writers. I want to write a story where Red becomes very (possibly fatally) ill because she eats something from Outer Space. I figure because it's been unheard of to interact with "silly creatures" outside of Gobo and Uncle Matt before, their little bodies wouldn't know what to make of foreign food or even smells.

I just can't think of what she could eat that would cause so much damage (a donut or other sweet? Something as simple as a ham sandwich?) and what the fraggles might call her mystery sickness. Although I'm sure Uncle Matt lived on "silly creature" food while exploring, which I guess kinda screws up the idea? Should it just be a smell or poison, then?
  16. RedPiggy

Solution: she's allergic to something (that way, Matt can continue to eat Silly Creature food and yet Red can be hurt by it)
  17. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Or, Uncle Matt can explain that he had the same issues, and how he overcame them, or how he eats healthily when he can. If you do make it a donut, or something sweet/fatty then the fic could, to some degree, be relevant to our times, in that the government (yay) has finally figured out that diets are affecting health.
  18. bazooka_beak

Thank you for your suggestions!

I don't want her to simply get a tummy ache or spend a week running to the bathroom (wherever and however it is that fraggles go XD), something more serious. It's a cool idea to comment on just how bad sweets can be for you, and then everybody would wonder WHY a "silly creature" would want to put something like that in their body.

Did Uncle Matt eat those Christmas cookies in the holiday episode?
  19. RedPiggy

To be honest, I don't remember him ever eating any "human" food. When at the fast food place, he watches them "race" and then falls asleep. In the Xmas ep, he takes the cookie, says he "could get used to it" ... implying he ate it.
  20. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Really if anything, I think eating any sort of meat might be a better idea, since they don't seem to, and it has already been shown that fraggles can handle sugar and fat in their own form of candy just fine. I don't know...I guess I am a bit jaded, I have seen many many 'so and so is sick' fanfics in other fandoms and this is the only time I think I could see the vegetarian vs. meat cultures idea working. If course, if you are going to make it food and not just a human waste product you have to be very careful it just doesn't come off as a rant against eating _______ to such a level that the idea overshadows any other plot and makes it just a fraggle PSA :\