Pixar Dumps Disney

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Well, I dunno, Buck. I loved A Bug's Life. It's my second favorite Pixar movie. Monster's Inc., followed closely by A Bug's Life.
I'm a big Dave Foley fan (he's from Toronto too!) and I loved A Bug's Life. All I am saying is that's their weakest film which is still pretty amazing.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I have two types of Questions for eveyone here.

1: Would Pixar be able to Use any of the films they made or would DIZZY have to aprove for it.

Second one.

2: How would ya'll respond if Pixar would do a CGI Muppet show or type of show or cartoon? Would ya'll think its cool?

Good for Pixar. I remember someone from here talking about this last year. I'm glad. Just hope they can keep it going. Not to say I don't have any HOPE in Pixar (because I do). LOVE ALL OF THERE FLIMS!!!!

Beebers

Reaction score
1. It depends on the ins and outs of their departure agreement. Some of the brainiacs on here might be able to answer that, I'd have to study the thing and I don't have time right now.

2. I'm very mixed about CGI, it has its place but audiences turn away from its overuse, with the exception of LOTR. They want to see real hands-on craftmanship, not only key-striking and mouse-clicking. Probably very few here would agree with me, but I rather think not, for me, I'd rather not see a ton of CGI with Muppets. lol.

:cool:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Disney loses the Muppets, runs ABC into the ground, fires its traditional hand drawn animation division and now has lost Pixar (the company that's been keeping them afloat). I see why Roy is so angry. And this is just the stuff we know about. I know Eisnter has a contract, but can't he be fired if the majority of shareholders object to his business practices? He was the guy who brought Disney out of the red in the 80s, but now he's more of the guy who thought EuroDisney was a good idea. He's lost his touch. The Disney/Pixar agreement was a match made in heaven and could have continued for years to come, but now Fox, Viacom or Warner Brothers will reap all the benefits. Maybe they'll allow Pixar's films to have a little more edge to them. And Disney? Well they'll bring us classics from their 3D department like Dinosaur... :smirk:

Beebers

Reaction score
Normally, Boards of Directors function within contractual mandates governing employee contract clauses (Eisner is an employee) which put the shareholders' benefit first. All hire contracts at the level of Eisner in any company contain out clauses, both to protect the company and the employee. The company can get out of the relationship. The employee can get out of the company. It isn't often a simultaneous wish. Whether Disney's mechanism for this is through the Board, the shareholders, or both, is a matter of research. The answer to your question is yes, they can get rid of him. You'll be seeing much more fallout around Mousetown as time goes by.

:cool:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
They’ll probably have to pay him off to do so. I wonder if they can get around that by citing gross mismanagement. And the question then becomes - who can fill his shoes? Eisner has so married his face to Disney's image just as Walt did. A management change is long overdue.

Beebers

Reaction score
Everything turns on how things were written in Eisner's contract, and how they are written in Disney's company policy. In some companies, provisions allow shareholders to band together to oust individuals they feel no longer benefit their company in either fiscal or behavioral matters and sometimes both. Some company policies allow for shareholders to pressure and make vulnerable Boards of Directors, and some shareholders in some companies have the power to remove any or all Board members and replace them. Executives at such high levels always have buy-out clauses included in their hire contracts, not to be confused with the out clause. Like pre-nuptial agreements, these often are contested, with varying degrees of success, by the individual who is leaving. Eisner has a buy-out clause of X. Showbiz being what it is, chances are good he'll ask for more. Disney will not look kindly on this and the attorneys will all go at it. Disney will want him out with settlement based on his actual contract. Again, IF the shareholders have any power, they can throw their monkey wrench in and just hand him his hat and his previously-agreed-upon money. Roy Disney and his friend, I'm sorry, his name's not coming to me, the other guy who resigned with him, they are in constant contact with the Disney Board. So, we'll see what happens. It'll be quite interesting all around.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Disney's attorneys taking down Eisner - Now that's something I'd love to see. Karma, man, karma. Whatever happens they should televise it on Pay Per View. :crazy:

Beebers

Reaction score
It's going to be lots of fun, no doubt about it. It may not happen this minute, but it's a-brewin'.

What I find so totally rich about the whole thing is that, currently, the best and possibly only talent worth having helm Disney is . . . Pixar.

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

Nice chatting with you, by the way.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
2: How would ya'll respond if Pixar would do a CGI Muppet show or type of show or cartoon? Would ya'll think its cool?
I don't know, but it's an interesting idea. I've wondered how the Muppets would look in well-realized CG. I've always really felt that Pixar reminded me of the Henson company anyway--their characters have so much warmth and life to them, yet the zaniness quotient is pretty high as well.

This question also reminds me of something (off-topic) that I was thinking of yesterday. I'd be interested to see a well-done Muppet Show comic book series... So many possibilities!