Popular Shows that You Hate

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ahem... Spongebob is supposed to be dumb. It's a jolly good dumb time. Overrated... yes. But on the upside, Nick has at least cares about one cartoon show. I'd take a marathon of Spongebob over another crappy Big Time Rush clone any day, even if I hated the show. Unfortunately, because no other show can get that same audience (that Spongebob didn't even have until 2 years down the road), they kick them to the curb. I'm really worried about T.U.F.F. Puppy. Looks like TMNT is doing alright, especially in the merchandising department.

But you have to love a show that, when the moral guardian schmucks came up with an imaginary conspiracy about the show promoting homosexuality, threw in a LOT of Patrick X Spongebob Ho Yay just to tick them off. Now if only they could troll Commercial Free Childhood by making the unhealthiest breakfast cereal ever...

I watched Green Screen Adventures once when my cable provider first got ThisTV, when I was checking out their shows. The show is supposed to teach kids about literacy, and has segments where you have to write about a subject matter that come on before commercial breaks. As for Zula Patrol, it only airs once a week on ION here since we don't get qubo, and the station that aired it here, WYNE dumped every kids program they had since 2006 or so for programs that were about arts and crafts and films made by high school students.
I also have a similar problem to your Zula Patrol problem here-whenever Family Guy airs on FOX here, no matter if it's new or syndicated, both My9 and CW are running the syndicated version. Also, Lassie once aired on TBN at the same time another network was airing it.
Green Screen Adventures is a embarrassing. To quote Darkwing Duck, "If I wanted to watch a bunch of clowns, I'd tune in to a Congressional hearing." There's a difference between leaving your dignity aside for the sake of comedy and jumping around making stupid voices like an attention hungry 4 year old in front of a video camera. That show is the latter. The show only exists to fulfill that FCC requirement. And it's on 2 networks (ThisTV and MeTV... which SHOULD have classic shows that fit the TV/EI requirement) twice on weekends. That's 4 episodes of mediocrity.

Qubo and my PBS Kids channel have such an unhealthy obsession with Zula Patrol. Qubo airs 2 episodes at 12:00-1:00 both Weekened days and NOW has it on 11:00 PM... 6 Times in a weekend. My PBS kid runs it 11:30-12:30.... that's 4 episodes (combined with the qubo airing) with 1 episode running against itself! And it runs the show weekday mornings... HOW many times does that have to be on? Is it that cheap.

And the thing is, I didn't want to hate it because of Cam Clarke and animator Kent Butterworth (who's wasting the crap out of his talents on this show). And the villain can be genuinely funny sometimes. But the character designs are ugly, and the CGI animation is even uglier... it's like a hair above Ratatoing quality. And half the character voices (Zeeter especially) go through your head like a knife.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ahem... Spongebob is supposed to be dumb. It's a jolly good dumb time.
And people wonder why American kids are dumb today. :rolleyes:

There's a difference between a jolly good dumb time (GREEN ACRES), and just straight-up brain cell melting dumb... SpongeBob is the latter.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Ahem... Spongebob is supposed to be dumb. It's a jolly good dumb time. Overrated... yes. But on the upside, Nick has at least cares about one cartoon show. I'd take a marathon of Spongebob over another crappy Big Time Rush clone any day, even if I hated the show. Unfortunately, because no other show can get that same audience (that Spongebob didn't even have until 2 years down the road), they kick them to the curb. I'm really worried about T.U.F.F. Puppy. Looks like TMNT is doing alright, especially in the merchandising department.
That Sanjay & Craig show seems to be pulling in decent (for a cable kids' show) ratings, too.

Green Screen Adventures is a embarrassing. To quote Darkwing Duck, "If I wanted to watch a bunch of clowns, I'd tune in to a Congressional hearing." There's a difference between leaving your dignity aside for the sake of comedy and jumping around making stupid voices like an attention hungry 4 year old in front of a video camera. That show is the latter. The show only exists to fulfill that FCC requirement. And it's on 2 networks (ThisTV and MeTV... which SHOULD have classic shows that fit the TV/EI requirement) twice on weekends. That's 4 episodes of mediocrity.
I took a look at their official Flickr photostream, and dear GLOB does it look mind-numbing from the photos alone! :grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And people wonder why American kids are dumb today. :rolleyes:
There's nothing wrong with a brain melting dumb cartoon. I mean, a fun one. I hate the heck out of Care Bears. Any version! Though, to be fair, the Nelvana series was as good as it got. Spongebob is too popular for it's own good, but I felt the same way about Rugrats. Difference is, Spongebob lost what was special for being on too long, Rugrats lost it because Arlene Klasky (or is it Cuspo or whatever) made Angelica look like Pollyanna (in more ways than one).

Even if I really hated Spongebob, I still think the worst ever Nicktoon was Rocket Power. Spongebob may be a lot of things, but he wasn't some producer powered cynical cash grab directed to the fat kids who LOVE X-treeeeeeme stuff as long as it didn't mean doing any of it. The show still stands as a titanic embarrassment to the network. Even Fanboy and Chum Chum, terrible in its own right, wasn't as awful as that.

Don't get me wrong. I suffered through the Christmas episode I got free with the Spongebob Christmas claymation special. It was horrendous.

That Sanjay & Craig show seems to be pulling in decent (for a cable kids' show) ratings, too.
They do at first, and then Nick tries to screw them over. I need to see that show sometime. It looks far better than I thought. And I hate missing out on some wonderful cartoon. Took me years to get into Phineas and Ferb, and I've been kicking myself the entire way.

I took a look at their official Flickr photostream, and dear GLOB does it look mind-numbing from the photos alone! :grouchy:
I've seen bits and pieces of that show, and photos don't do it justice. It's like the show runs on being annoying.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
SpongeBob is kinda like Madagascar, mindless fun without much depth. The only problems I have with it is it's extremely bad case of Seasonal Rot and the over-saturation of the merchandise. You can't go somewhere without seeing SpongeBob related stuff. I think everyone's tired of SpongeBob by now.

Anyways, the show that everybody seems to love that I don't is Family Guy. It's not mature humor, because it's incredibly immature. Kids seem to love it, though.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Sure, Spongebob is silly and subversive. He's also pure joy on-tap. He has this unique way accepting himself and others that's very Muppety. I can understand why some people might find him annoying. I love the sponge out of him! In fact, if he were a Muppet, he'd probably be Walter. :fanatic:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I cannot STAND Adventure Time or Regular Show. Maybe I just don't get the humor, or its just not my kind of humor, but well, Adventure Time just doesn't make sense to me, and Regular Show makes me think I need to be high to enjoy it :s

I dunno. MAYBE if I gave either show a proper chance rather than watching bits a pieces, but neither show has kept my attention long enough to make me even want to watch a full episode.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Qubo and my PBS Kids channel have such an unhealthy obsession with Zula Patrol. Qubo airs 2 episodes at 12:00-1:00 both Weekened days and NOW has it on 11:00 PM... 6 Times in a weekend. My PBS kid runs it 11:30-12:30.... that's 4 episodes (combined with the qubo airing) with 1 episode running against itself! And it runs the show weekday mornings... HOW many times does that have to be on? Is it that cheap.
Since you seem so confused about this show, I'll tell you all about it, since I used to watch it as a kid. It came on in between VeggieTales and 321 Penguins! and LarryBoy Stories on NBC. It was about a team of space aliens who taught science though stories. The leader was a green alien named Bula, and even though he was the leader of the team, he sometimes got into trouble. The smart person was an orange alien named Multo, who had an encyclopedia. I'll get to that later. The pilot was a girl named Zeeter. There were two lightning bug-like kids named Wizzy and Wig. The team pet was a dog named Gorga. The main villian was named Dark Truder and had a talking hair on his head. Each episode was somewhat the same. There would usually be some monologue at the beginning of each episode about outer space. After that, we find out about the problem of the day, which is related to science. Multo would use his Multopedia to tell them about whatever subject the problem related to. For example, one episode about the lack of water on Earth had him talking about how water is made, and there was another one about photosynthesis. At one point, Dark Truder would try to prevent the Zulas from stopping the problem. By the end of each episode, they do solve the problem and thwart the villain. Each episode ended with a "Multo Moment", which was Multo doing an experiment related to the science lesson taught in the episode. As for the reason your affiliate keeps playing the show, is your PBS station perhaps the flagship station that distributes the show, WGBX, by any chance? I know that Connecticut Public Television distributed The Saddle Club and Barney And Friends (even though it originated in Texas, but a little girl whose father worked for CPT rented a Barney and the Backyard Gang video one Superbowl Sunday and watched it over and over, and then the father asked Lyons to make it into a show), KCET made SeeMore's Playhouse and Sid The Science Kid, WGBH made Arthur and Peep and the Big Wide World, and WNET, my local station, made Cyberchase and Fetch! With Ruff Ruffman. From what I can gather, all these stations still air those programs more than once a week (usually in the "one episode a day" fashion, including on weekends, and for Sid, three times a day on KCET.).
This isn't really a popular program, but it airs on a popular pre-school channel, and it's airing as I type this. It's actually a block of programs called NickMom. It's supposed to be a place for moms to relax after a hard day of care-taking when the kids go to sleep, but the problem is that not all kids are asleep at that time. For example, in Hawaii, it's 4PM when it comes on, and in California (except on one cable provider), it comes on at 7PM. Another problem is that the programs on the block are very inappropriate for kids to watch-for example, a baby who is called "Devil Baby", someone asking "Ever gone gangsta on a new mom's ***?" and the words "Hot Monkey ***" on a show called "Parental Discretion", a girl named Andrea visiting a nudist colony to see how they raise their kids on a show called "Take Me To Your Mother", and on NickMom Night Out, a mom explaining to her daughter how babies are made, egg donors, and in one clip I saw, a father talking about what kind of liquors to bring depending on a child's birthday party theme (EX: "Try this one: Oh, it's a Dora party! Ah, no, so close! Backpack full of tequila!"). A block with content like that is totally unacceptable on a channel for preschoolers. Does anyone agree with me?

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I cannot STAND Adventure Time or Regular Show. Maybe I just don't get the humor, or its just not my kind of humor, but well, Adventure Time just doesn't make sense to me, and Regular Show makes me think I need to be high to enjoy it :s

I dunno. MAYBE if I gave either show a proper chance rather than watching bits a pieces, but neither show has kept my attention long enough to make me even want to watch a full episode.
I think the humor of Adventure Time is that it's like when kids play pretend. As in, it makes no sense and seems to be made on the fly (even though it's not). I don't really enjoy Adventure Time, but I don't loathe it. It gets lots of merchandise, though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Adventure Time is a show you need to really get into to like. It rewards you highly when it does, as it's the shockingly most dramatic animated series I've seen. It runs on quirkiness, and that is a bit of a turn off. That's what stopped me from watching it at first. I'm glad I got over it and became a fan, though.

Regular Show... well, it doesn't exactly hide any drug references very much (among other things....The Getting Crap past the Radar page on TVTropes is pretty expansive), it really isn't fueled by it so much as it's a spiritual successor to Clerks. It's a show about 20 year olds that didn't make it in college and have to work a low paying dead end job. Something that quite a lot of 20 somethings can relate to. But there's a stunning amount of continuity and character development. Relationships in the series actually grow. Muscle Man used to be a complete jerk that would always dump on Mordecai and Rigby and now he's one of their closest friends. There's something extremely heartwarming in that.