Potential New Muppet Show

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Oh yeah, maybe with Modern Family. We don't watch that show, so I didn't even think of that. I hear its pretty funny! Maybe when it gets added to Netflix instant streaming we'll catch up, ha ha.

What I WAS thinking, was that since Desperate Housewives is ending soon (though it ended for us near season 3, lol), maybe they could push Once Upon A Time up to that slot, then sandwich our Muppets inbetween that and Americas Funniest Home Videos. One big family entertainment Sunday Night, like it once was in days of yore!! :big_grin: Well, OUAT gets a little intense sometimes, but that just requires the occasional hand-cover over little eyes. :wink:

It would kinda be like getting back The Wonderful World of Disney, but instead it'd be all about Muppets, YAAAAAAAAAY!!! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I stand corrected. Now that I think about the two shows I was thinking of were Smallville (Which you mentioned) and Supernatural...both hold overs from WB if I'm correct. I still think they might hold onto a name liscense like the muppets rather than kill it though. CW still might not be the best choice. That is really my biggest fear though.
Let's just say, I still can't believe the shoddy treatment they gave Reaper. That show was begging for a third season. Everything could have been solved in a third season, and it could have turned the show around completely. Plus, I hate what happened to Saturday mornings after UPN's share goaded the WB's share into selling that programming slot to 4Kids. That's why Spectacular Spider-Man died after 2 seasons, instead of the multiple seasons Greg Weissman (sp?) was going for.

The only thing that really makes me happy about the CW is that they're the only network to have consistant failures in reality programming.

I still am not too sure about Disney channel being a bad place to air it. TRue many of their shows are tween friendly, but PHineas and ferb is probably one of the most brilliant things on TV (One of my students said it's a clean version of family guy). Maybe if they try to hit that audience.
Phineas and Ferb was a turning point for the network. I don't think I've seen a Disney cartoon that aggressively marketed since The Disney Afternoon. It's getting interest from all these different focus groups, and it's doing better than any of their single Tween pop shows ever did. They had a lot of lessons to learn from this one, considering they almost passed on the series completely. I don't even see any of the pop stars on packages of granola bars anymore. After the fiasco of unsellable Johnas brother merchandise, I think they finally got their priorities straight. So if Phineas and Ferb is any indication, the Disney Channel could very well be a decent place to put a new Muppet Show. But we have to realize, and this is if its on any network, they WILL have at least a few guest appearances of their "celebrities."

People are watching most of their television in short segments on portable devices. I'm afraid that the simplification of entertainment into one-note set-ups is becoming more often because of this. There are still some great shows out there. I hope they stick around! :concern:
Instant gratification culture ruins entertainment. I'm glad that you can get a large variety of shows online legally that they don't even release on DVD, and it's great to be able to watch a show you missed the next day (or, unfortunately the next week in some cases)... but it hurts the loyal television viewer in terms of show quality and longevity. And if people are only watching Family Guy cutaway gag sized portions of television shows, the best thing for Disney to do is go back out there and make some more viral videos before anything else. Bohemian Rhapsody was such a huge hit... think of what else they can do there. More song covers maybe? Or better yet, recreations of old Muppet Show skits. A Pigs in Space web series sounds full of potential.

Disney may struggle to find where a Muppet Show would fit on television, but they have a perfect place to put it online.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
What I WAS thinking, was that since Desperate Housewives is ending soon (though it ended for us near season 3, lol), maybe they could push Once Upon A Time up to that slot, then sandwich our Muppets inbetween that and Americas Funniest Home Videos. One big family entertainment Sunday Night, like it once was in days of yore!! :big_grin: Well, OUAT gets a little intense sometimes, but that just requires the occasional hand-cover over little eyes. :wink:

It would kinda be like getting back The Wonderful World of Disney, but instead it'd be all about Muppets, YAAAAAAAAAY!!! :smile:
I actually LOVE this idea. Sunday night at 8 is actually the perfect time for kids to watch, I think!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
KermieBaby47 said:

I actually LOVE this idea. Sunday night at 8 is actually the perfect time for kids to watch, I think!
That's a great idea. Why not just bring back The Wonderful World of Disney in an hour-long format on Sunday nights at 8pm and dedicate some of the slots to a new Muppet Show? I miss the Muppets and all the goodness that used to air in the WWOD line-up.

Alvin

Reaction score
Didn't they try that a couple of years ago?? It didn't last very long...or at least I haven't seen it lately.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's a great idea. Why not just bring back The Wonderful World of Disney in an hour-long format on Sunday nights at 8pm and dedicate some of the slots to a new Muppet Show? I miss the Muppets and all the goodness that used to air in the WWOD line-up.
WWOD is dead (for some reason). They just can't find a place to put it, their Sunday Night Line up is supposedly so important with AFV, which will outlast cockroaches after the Apocalypse, apparently, the recently canceled Desperate Housewives slot they'll never find a decent replacement for, That Fairy Tale thing, and GCB (which I doubt will last the mid-season). Then there's Saturday, which COULD have been a nice spot for it, but they just want to dump reruns of Wipeout on that night unless there's a sporting event. And don't get me started on Friday Night Voyeurism theater.

There really is no excuse for not having WWOD on Fridays or Saturdays, especially since they've been able to use them to promote upcoming movies. I remember when WWOD had behind the scenes/ movie promotional specials. I really think the fact MWOZ didn't do all that well in the ratings was half the reason they took down WWOD. But if they had it back, it would be the perfect place to rerun Muppet movies and create new Muppet specials.

Alvin

Reaction score
Funny how some things work one time and don't the next.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
their Sunday Night Line up is supposedly so important with AFV, which will outlast cockroaches after the Apocalypse.
I don't want to derail this thread too much, but the fact that AFV is still on the air boggles my mind. 23 years! And it's the same things every show! When will it get old?

Alvin

Reaction score
I was thinking that the other day...I mean know people still do stupid stuff...but good grief enough already.