1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Pre-Order Sesame Street 40 Years DVD Boxset

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by Phillip, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Maybe they're listing celebrities that the current viewing demographic would be more familiar with...

But I DID notice that Henry Winkler as Fonz is on the cover.
  2. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It's just a shame they didn't name a few past celebrities like -- and I'm just theoretically listing them -- James Earl Jones, Judy Collins, and James Taylor (I'd be surprised if none of them were featured).

One thing that would make a cool feature, and I doubt it will be done, would be a "now and then" comparrision, or "originals and remakes", showing the original version of a classic song sketch and then a later remake. Like the original Rubber Duckie and the late-1990s Rubber Duckie, or the original What's the Name of That Song? and the 1990s cast version.

I hope that sales are good enough for Sesame Workshop to consider more insert-only DVD releases.
  3. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Well, I searched sesamestreet.org and youtube for clips pictured on the cover for runtimes, and from what I could find the cover covers at least 52 minutes. I added the run time for the non-celebrity version of Monster in the Mirror, which is 2 minutes and something seconds (the celebrity version is 3 minutes and something seconds). I also checked the CTW Archives "first season show content" for the run time of Henson #1 (though the times listed for skits in those files seem to contradict the run times found at sesamestreet.org). I chose not to look at run time for any of the street stories, as we do not know how much of the stories will be included, but I did look at the run time for Hooper's death, as I have a feeling that'll probably just have the scene where his death is explained.

I'm not sure if this was useless or not. I calculated using my cell phone calculator... But I wodner if I goofed. I used a . instead of a : and then I found that that simbol was there. Maybe I should re-do it.
  4. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping by that list, we're talking about listing current celebrities for some marketing reason. The next thing we need is another "Songs from the Street" fiasco where one of the disks mostly contained "Elmopalooza." I'm glad SS is using celebrities on this set... but I just hope we don't have everything from the last 5 years over and over again.... and Celeb appearances better NOT take up the whole second disk.
  5. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I thought that the "I" segment pictured was in episode 926, the segment shown before Biff and Sully's scene, but I was just watching the segment I thought the image was from, and I appear to be wrong.
  6. zns Active Member

I;m sure that whatever Sesame Workshop has put on this set will definately be worth it. Sesame street is still going strong to this very day and after 40 years, it is still considered one of the best shows for all ages.
  7. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I agree. Even if it doesn't have everything on my personal wish list (and I'm sure it won't) it'll probably still be a great set.

And there is something I was thinking of today, that would be great to see on this, and I figure it probably won't, but it'd be great to see the various clips where Gordon, Maria, and Linda finally decide to believe that Snuffy was real, before they actually saw for themselves. Same with Uncle Wally. Probbaly not likely, but I can still dream, right?

And now we've practically got another month and a half until it's out.
  8. Phillip Administrator

9. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

That is AMAZING! The bonus features are incredible--worth the price of the entire set alone! I'm honestly stunned at the incredible amount of bonus features. Interviews with Jon Stone, Caroll, AND Kevin? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. I am SO excited for this set!
  10. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I must own this even more now!
  11. zns Active Member

This is definately one of the best video releases that Sesame Workshop has brought out since they started with the Old School sets in 2006. :p:(

Just a little bit off topic here, I just want to clear something up. The 40th anniversary book written by Louise Gikow.... what is the actual realease date for it. This website says the same day as the DVD set, but other websites, including Muppet Wiki, state that it will be on October 1st. Am I missing something? :smirk:
  12. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

When you said you got details on what "all" will be included, I thought you meant alist of all of the clips, not a listing of special features.

Good list of bonus features, though. Yes! James Taylor will be on it (I hope it's the "That Grouchy Face" clip, and not Jellyman Kelly). And Feist is on it as well (I figured she would)!

Oh, and Dr. Nobel Price is included in the behind-the-scenes portions! I hope that one of his segments is included as part of the main program!

I am also happy that this set will have pop-up facts, like the Muppet Morsels.
  13. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Okay... is it just me, or do the special features seem to be worth buying the set alone? That is one thing that these have over the SS Old School sets. Those bonus features were just more clips... this is rare behind the scenes and archival stuff.
  14. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I agree, though I do wish the set would have included either This Way to Sesame Street, A Walking Tour of Sesame Street, or Sesame Street Unpaved. But the various features, along with the hopeful possibility of it containing the long-unseen Henson #1, make it worthwhile.

And the fact that it will have pop-up facts makes me forgive the fact that this set includes stuff that's already been released on video and DVD, especially in the past Old School sets.

And I wonder if the back of the booklet will include any Muppet character interviews, like on the back of the Old School booklets.

Sigh... But still no sign of whether Roosevelt Franklin will be on the set. Or Guy Smiley. Or Sesame Street News. But I am more confident that those last two will be included. and I wonder i Buddy and Jim/ Larry and Phyllis/ Wally and Ralph will be included...
  15. Drtooth Well-Known Member

All I can say is we don't know the exact sketch list. There clearly will be double dipping, but I don't think anything too major. We'll clearly see Rubber Duckie and I Love Trash and C is for Cookie... other than that, I'm sure we will see at least one Guy Smiley and Roosevelt Franklin sketch on there. And I wonder how accurate the cover art as it pertains to the contents of the DVD are. We could very well see some sketches illustrated on the cover that aren't actually on the disk (believe me... I've seen too many DVDs of TV shows with screenshots of episodes that aren't even included on the disk... in some cases, episodes that weren't even released at all)

So until we actually get a finalized review at least, everything's going to be a surprise. And again, the special features are a million times more interesting than what ever could possibly be featured.
  16. BIGMuppetFan Member

I am really Looking forward to this DVD! :) I think a lot what they put in the description was for people to notice the current stars since most people who buy this DVD will have heard of them, But I do think older celebs and stars will be featured on it, as well as our Favorite Clips! The bonus features sound cool too! Over all I am really looking forward to this DVD release! :)
  17. zns Active Member

It's going to be worth every penny. I'll be even more anxious once I see a review on here.
  18. BIGMuppetFan Member

Ditto I agree! :)
  19. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I thought of something that would be cool for this set, though I doubt it'll happen, and that would be for the set to have each season represented by the street scenes from one street story and assorted sketches from that season.
  20. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I had mentioned this possibility earlier. However, I have a feeling that all of the guest stars pictured will be on there. It'd be stupid to include guests on the cover who won't be on the set (just as stupid as putting Elmo on the packaging for Follow That Bird despite his small screen time... Oh, wait a minute...).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.