1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

regular figures...mega sized...what about minis?

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by beaker, Jul 29, 2002.

1. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

Re: "I don't care what anyone says, I'm having a good time."

If we all just "moved on" every time we disagreed then we wouldn't have much of an active forum for you to moderate, would we? Personally, I "find it tedious" that you feel it necessary to "gripe" yourself everytime someone disagrees with you or what might seen as your agenda.

I mean has this thread really been "negative"? One or two lines made in jest amidst many, many valid comments about a topical subject hardly seem enough to warrant a "suggestion" from you to tone it down.

But then again, I guess it all depends on which side of the subject you are on. As I recall, in the 'MTI Widescreen DVD' thread, you "griped" continuously about your pet peeve against 'full frame'... a stance that I am sure some people didn't exactly find positive or proactive. Yet you are entitled to voice your opinion, even ad nausea should you wish it. It would only be hypocritical to suggest otherwise.

I gather from your last couple of threads that you are very dedicated to the Palisades cause and are eager to support it in any way possible. However, others should also be free to express their views (within the confines of civil discussion of course) without being maligned. And if you don't agree then I suppose you are always free to take your own advice and move on.

Must we all think alike? Seems to me that a "we all sing with the same voice" mentality might be better suited for pre-school television than an active adult forum.

2. Louis Kazagger

Louis Kazagger New Member

Re: Less expensive? Have to be...

Yeah, when you're a monopoly, you can get away with stuff like that I guess. I have no idea how Diamond was found not guilty by the Department of Justice, when there are clearly no real alternatives for a comic retailer today (I've seen the barrel my retailer is over firsthand). I hope Steve Geppi lost big when the stock market dived. Uh-oh, gonna have to sell that minority ownership of the Orioles now. To paraphrase a recent Spidey comic, he exemplifies Uncle Ben's phrase, "Never seen a man with money that didn't have to walk over people to get it."

3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The Mini PVCs I'd Like To See:

Here are 9 pretty good evenly-spaced waves:

1 Kermit, Animal, Crazy Harry, Sweetums, Mahna and a Snowth

2 Gonzo, Scooter, Beauregard, Pops, Annie Sue and Boppity

3 Beaker, Bunsen, Sam, Zoot, Lew Zeland and Thog

4 Piggy, Swedish Chef, Floyd, Janice, Uncle Deadly and Dog Lion

5 Rowlf, Statler, Waldorf, Lips, Louis Kazagger and Gloat

6 Fozzie, Dr Teeth, Newsman, Nigel, George and Mildred

7 FM Piggy, Link, Strangepork, Hilda, JP Gross and Fletcher

8 Pepe, Seymour, Rizzo, Van Neuter, Mulch and Carl

9 Clifford, Johnny, Sal, Digit, Waldo and Bean

4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Ms W

I am very supportive of the Palisades figures not just because Ken is a really cool guy but that this product is breathing new life and interest into the Muppets.

I feel that you have continually criticized the figures and the figure threads for months and these posts have not been very constructive or informative.

We are quite aware of your position on this, as you have posted about it many times. I just wish you'd offer something more enlightening than pot shots at Palisades and figure enthusiasts.

It is easy to tear things down, but I find it a much more rewarding challenge to create something new or offer some sort of enlightenment - even out of a tedious situation. Wouldn't you find that to be more enjoyable?

If you find the topic of action figures boring then maybe you should start an alternate thread about something that you find more interesting. I'd definitely contribute to it.:)

5. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

Gee... here I am actually expressing interest in, and support of an idea for Muppet figures...

... too bad it was Cory who came up with these and not Palisades, huh? I guess then my posts would be more to your liking.

:D

6. GWGumby

GWGumby New Member

Maybe something that might help the price for mini PVCs a bit would be to pack 3-4 figures rather than 6+. I know the more the merrier, but I am more easily talked into buying two $10-12 packs on two different occasions than 1 $22-24 pack. Of course, this being muppets, I wouldn't hesitate on either size, but a large payment done in installments is psychologically more appeasing to me than all at once.

7. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

Yeah, but what if the other set sells out in between purchases? I still think they could be done for less money in bigger sets. Course, I am not a figure collector, unless you count all these Hello Kitty PVCs we have laying around here. $5.99 for three of them, how could a mom say no?

8. radionate

radionate New Member

I really don't see how they could be made for under $20.00. I have collected PVC since I was a tot. I literally have boxes upon boxes of them. Applause was the leader of the pack in the 80's. They had line upon line coming out, and many of them were simple molds, semi simple paint jobs, but incredible sculpts and likenesses. They retailed around $3.00 each. So even in todays market, a set of six would retail at $18.00.

Now knowing the advances in technology, and seeing more and more detailed figures coming out from different companies, I'm sure they could come up with more complex molds and still have costs around $25.00.

Is that expensive for PVCs? No. I don't know how Playmates and the WOS PVC line has kept the prices so low. Its very interesting to me, and I'm actually leaning towards getting a few sets, because the price is attractive. But I don't think that the detail is anything like what needs to be done for the Muppets. What's a toy collector and Muppet fan to do?

9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think the stackable arches couldl help these sell by the pack. Just an interesting concept rather than just plain PVC.

10. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

>>>Arch display stands. Mount on the wall or stackable...that would be cool to me. I imagine a wall full of Muppets, stretching as far as the eye can see...in arches, now THAT might be nifty<<

Ken, I have been dreaming of those exact things my entire life(ok, prolly since I was 3)

as far as the eye could see in arches...mmmm

as a big time muppet collector, that to me would be the ultimate dream.

"someday we'll find it..."

11. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

>>>I really don't see how they could be made for under $20.00. I have collected PVC since I was a tot. <<<

same here man...but once again I point you and others to michael crawford's breakdown of the WOS minis. These are under $12? amazing! 5 articulated mini figures with such detail for that much is amazing, Playmates have definately raised the bar.

Now, I suspect me and others would be VERY VERY happy if the Muppet minis were to have the level of sculpt the WOS minis have. I dont expect nor really want the level of detail of the 6" line done on the minis. Mini figures dont need to be sculpted that detailed, and I think maybe thats the trap Palisades feels they would be in. Its just not so. A pack of 4 or 5 mini figures dont like WOS minis to me would just be the perfect thing.

Those DC figures? Theyre just tiny non articulated cheap pvcs, and highly priced ones. So they have h*llboy, preacher, sandman, etc. For $25+ its not worth it.

Anyways, if Playmates can make extremely great limited articulated simpsons minis, 5 for $12...then I think its fair to say
    Palisades might be able to at least do 4 to a pack for $18 or less.
    In this day and age a lot think massive sculpt and crazy articulation is everything...but oh to go back to a time when it
    was the fun of it all.

And also, I dont care how this sounds so I'll just say it...

People think TMS might be a kiddy line...but to be honest,
    just how many kids to early teens are buying the TMS 6" line? It would seem to me a series of TMS minis would infinitely sell more to not only colelctors and adult fans, but also parents buying them for their young kids.

12. Lu775

Lu775 Member

minis!

Hi,
    I know I'm a little late in joining this thread. I just wanted to say I think the idea of mini muppet PVCs is a great one!
    Instead of everyone using Simpson's as the base of comparison why not try using Smurfs? They're sold individually, but the new wave released every year still seem to have a theme. (Yes, they are still making new smurfs!)
    I love collecting PVC figures, as they are a lot easier to store and display than large toys. Also, at about $4 a miniature they're affordable.
    Anyho, just my 2 cents.

13. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

Lu775

That is exactly how I was thinking of them! I forgot about the Smurfs. (Had no idea they were still making those) Great idea!

14. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the new simpsons minis as a sort of template way better than anything else. Weve already seen small pvcs like schliech and from Applause and comics spain.

15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think the strategy with these PVC sets is to pack obscure fan faves in with the regular guys so that they will sell. Splitting them up into individual units may actually be a detriment and prevent these frackles, snowths and nigels from being made. I have a feeling that some stores may try to break up the sets themselves, but a 6 pack of PVCs may be cheaper than the individual markup if they are sold seperately. I feel conflicted about it, but I'm leaning toward the 6 pack sets.

16. Michael Crawford

Michael Crawford New Member

Sets vs individual

Part of the beauty of the sets is getting the more obscure characters. Add to that the show theme, and packing them together at five a set is ideal.

Another factor to consider is retailer support. I'm betting Palisades will get better retailer support on sets, at a higher SRP, than individual figures. Just a hunch, but they are more likely to get Diamond, Musicland, EB and TRU to listen with sets.

Of course, how well the Simpsons mini's do will have a direct effect. Retailers like proven ideas - if the first wave of Simpsons minis sell well, when someone else goes along with the same idea they are more likely to bite. That's how TRU ended up with all those Blockos.

Michael
    MWC
    obviously, it doesn't always work

17. kansasteen14

kansasteen14 New Member

where can you find smurfs? love to get some

18. Luke

Luke Active Member

The major place i find new smurfs is through Mcdonalds Happy Meals - prior to last week in the UK one was given away free with each meal and i guess a similar deal happens in the states. I was a big smurf collector when i was a kid and kept all the figures, including accessories. Anyone know if there's much value in these ? Not that i'm looking to sell !

19. Lu775

Lu775 Member

Smurfs

Actually the McDonalds Smurfs are exclusive to the UK.
    You can find Smurfs in some toy stores, (a lot of those new candy stores, like Sugar Shack) and on line... check out
    http://www.esmurfs.com/

(The 2002 Smurfs are a marching band!) :)

20. Luke

Luke Active Member

Well if anyone ever wants me to send em the Smurfs over from the UK next time they have a promotion on just give me a shout. I will be more than happy to eat the Happy Meal for you all too ! ;-) Cool link also !

BTW Lu - LOVE the Avatar ! Basil Brush - BOOM BOOM ! :p