regular figures...mega sized...what about minis?

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Heh - i know ! Y'know i don't know what people are going to do when the figure line ends. I think i'm going to have to start up a counselling hotline, smuggle Ken out of the country to the Virgin Islands for fear of being mobbed, and start a thread where people can she a tear for the beautiful moments we all shared together discussing plastic !
Or... we could rent a hall and throw a friggin' party to celebrate the passing of a tedious age gone by.

Seriously though, I do like the minis idea (although not, apparently, as much as 'ole Cory here.... **** does he go on about them! haha). Minis are easier to display, and to put in your pocket while traveling. I can see Emileigh with them in church right now.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by FellowWLover
I can see Emileigh with them in church right now.
When i used to go to Sunday School when i was a pup - i used to take 20 pence to put into the collection box, and while i was there took out 50 pence. Judgement day isn't going to be pretty for me ! ;-)

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by ResidentLilly
Bored? Dang...gotta come up with some more controversial product ideas...
Hey, i know...how about the Muppet Characters in Resident Evil gear?

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Of course that'll have to be in the Mega line, we can do a two month build up kinda 'who dunnit' angle between Kermit and Gonzo !<<<

what can a controversial worms did you open up with this one? I mean what you said is quite controversial and potentially embarassing: do we really need another series one variant?:wink:

>>>Seriously though, I do like the minis idea (although not, apparently, as much as 'ole Cory here.... <<<

hey, ok so my vitriolic rallying clal for tms minis is a bit...um zealous...but oh I can think of a thousand and one cool ways to display this size of figure(dashboard, computer top, ear cleaner)

>>>Hey, i know...how about the Muppet Characters in Resident Evil gear?<<<

Well first theyd have to do Sesame Street Fighter and Muppet Kombat....ouch, from the horrid files of a decade old joke, back it goes. *sometimes it doesnt seem likes its really 2002*

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Here's a question. Why the assumption that a set of mini-figures would be cheaper than a Mega Muppet or a Playset? Maybe a simpler line like Simpson's, with the less complicated sculpts and simpler paint jobs can carry that, but I doubt it for Muppets.

If we were to do a set of, say, six mini PVC figurines, you would want them to be detailed right? Far better than anything that had come before...textures, good paints and all that. So, taking that into account, and comparing it to other lower volume, higher detailed PVC sets like the ones from DC Direct or Dark Horse or the like, you might be looking at a 24.99-29.99 retail price. That factors in complicated sculpts that require more than a 2-part mold to make, extra parts and details and multiple spray masks for detailed paint jobs.

Not sure what the Simpson's line in the smalls is running these days, but the most recent PVC sets I have bought were Danger Girl and Hellboy and Justice Society. These had a real high level of quality. Granted they were specialty market only but you might have to go there with Muppets because of the fact that there is no guarantee TRU would take them, as the PVC set is a difficult sell in a lot of cases, particularly to them with no tie-in.

If we WERE to do a line of smaller figures, on a personal note I would expect them to be new sculpts, not rehashes of the existing figures. That works on a MEGA line, but not on a PVC line. And I also, and this is just my opinion here, would dig on themed packs like the current Simpson's. Plus with a multi-pack there is the theory that you could go WAY more obscure with some of the characters. By packing a Kermit or Gonzo in a pack of six figurines you can get away with putting a Mahna Mahna in there because from a marketing perspective you will have a character or two in there that the non hardcore will recognize and the hardcore will really want to see made, but who would probably not be able to carry his own figure. You know what else would be cool? Arch display stands. Mount on the wall or stackable...that would be cool to me. I imagine a wall full of Muppets, stretching as far as the eye can see...in arches, now THAT might be nifty.

Contrary to popular belief, bigger doesn't always mean better!

Luke

Reaction score
Ken,

I just gotta say, you sound like you are talking yourself into it there ! LOL !

Yeah i guess the problem is we're talking 'low volume' - i think the majority of the fan base doesn't quite understand that like you would with your postion at Palisades. I agree these would be nice but they would have to be at the price point of a set like 'The Simpsons'. Personally i can't see TRU selling out of a $30 Muppet PVC line.

I love the idea of themes and obscure characters - just thought it might be easier for the existing designs to be used like they have been for the Mega line - obviously not !

Michael Crawford

Reaction score
Less expensive? Have to be...

I'd think you'd have no trouble doing the PVC's at a far more reasonable price than any DC Direct product. Their stuff is way overpriced, and they are forced to deal through Diamond, a distributor that expects and demands major markups for themselves, not to mention a lot of up front cash.

And while you want detail, you won't get as much at that scale - just not possible. But you could still make awfully good figures, just check out the WOS stuff. It's selling at under $10 at TRU, and around $10 each through on-line stores.

I'd be happy to do all I can to convince TRU to carry them as well :smile:

But if you find that you can't do it at that kind of price point, then DON'T do it. PVC's don't sell at $25. The DC Direct stuff is still at every comic shop, and the runs weren't all that big.

Michael
MWC

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Eh, who cares about high quality. I just want to hold those Muppets in the palm of my hand.

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Unfortunately the costs and ultimately the SRP is volume related totally. If a TRU were to be on board, you can do it for less, because your overall volume increases and you get to amortize all your costs across a higher number. But the sad fact is that you can't know that right off the bat, unless you wait a while and see what kind of response the line gets overall. It's a difficult "line" to walk, to say the least.

I would want to have the sets at less, far less, than a 24.99 SRP. But the ultimate decision on any first set would be determined by the retailers, who would either choose or not choose to take the line. Those comic PVC lines carry the higher number because of the markups you mentioned and also because of the lower runs, like the DCD figures themselves. You and I know those figs are NOT worth 15 bucks...but that's what they have been going for, a lot of which I assume comes from the lower volumes. I don't know that as fact, that is only my assumption. The middleman doesn't help there either as you pointed out.

I agree that they should come in at a cheaper price and would do everything on my end in PD to make it so. Guess it would be a wait and see type thing. Still, it would be a challenging project to undertake. How do you make the best PVC's possible and still make it affordable? That's a very interesting thing to ponder...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
"I don't care what anyone says, I'm having a good time."

I'm stoked about all these Muppet products coming out. I do have different opinions about order of release and such, but that's to be expected. We are all fans who want the world!

I find it tedious to keep see the same people posting negative remarks about the line and threads in general. If you don't like the tread it would be cool to start or contribute to another one. If you don't like the megas, minis or figures - for Pete’s sake don't buy them.

The constant griping just gets to me. Would it be too much I to make your negative views known and move on? Do something proactive about it.

Not a demand in the least - just a kind suggestion. If you aint havin' a good time find one or make one yourself. And let a smile be your umbrella!