1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

regular figures...mega sized...what about minis?

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by beaker, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Luke

Luke Active Member

Seeing as we have been talking about a 3 inch Muppet figure line i thought i'd post up these pictures of the new 'He-Man' 2.75 inch line in stores now. Granted they are not as articulated as the Simpsons mini's but they do swivel at the waist and the level of detail is pretty cool too - i think they come four in a pack from Mattel.

http://www.he-man.org/news_images/minifigs/Minfigs.jpg

http://www.he-man.org/news_images/minifigs/Minfigs2.jpg

Aside from the mini figures there's also a regular line but they have really broken boundaries with their 'Castle Grayskull' playset. It lights up and talks, but it also recognises which figure is which - so if you stand an evil figure over a trap door it unlocks and the figure falls in. You can see a review and pictures of it here.

As you may have guessed, i'm a big fan of He-Man and Transformers - but this mini line as well as the Simpsons just goes to show that mini's are very 'in' right now and there would be unlimited possibilities with a muppet line - just as much as the regular figures.

2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

That's some really detailed PVC. Wow. It's funny because these days if you shrink anything it becomes an entirely new product. Miniiture versions of snack food to pez despensers seemss to make it more desirable.

3. SuperGrover

SuperGrover Member

I hate those mini He-men. They look like and remind me of those old-fashioned army guys all stuck in one dumb pose. I definitely wouldn't even buy Muppets if they looked anything like that. Just looking at these mini He-men remind me how much I don't like mini figures.

Yeah, I still can't figure out why the heck you guys like or want these kinds of mini figs.

4. BAZ

BAZ New Member

I would get the mini figures because I don't have room for the current size figures.

Of course that hasn't stopped me from buying them. My wife has gotten to the point that she just rolles her eyes every time I show her a picture of a new Muppet figure.

"But dear, look at the shirt Vacation Fozzie is wearing. My closet is full of those kind of shirts! I gotta get him!"

:)

5. Luke

Luke Active Member

I agree with you on the He-men. I mentioned them because obviosuly it's a similar line, and they are articulated and fairly detailed (though nothing like the Simpsons minis) but yeah they are pretty naff that they look like toy soldiers - i think the bases their feet are mounted too make them look worse than they would do free standing.

I do want Muppet minis though - just more like the Simpsons ones.

Here's something though - the new He-Man figures are being sold with a free video of the cartoon attached to the pack. Wouldn't it be cool if the Muppet Mini sets were all themed around an episode of TMS - but you actually got a video shrinkwrapped to the pack with that exact episode of the Muppet Show so you could watch it and play with the figures wearing the same costumes and using the same accessories ? I this is probably going to be impossible rights wise though.

6. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Eeek, those Heman pvcs look like just plain ol Army guys, and very small ones at that.

Ok, I just bought the Simpsons homer in space minis...OH MY!
    Full on tiny paint details, accessories, pretty good articulation, man! For anyone who has bought(or even seen these) man...I can think of nothing sweeter than seeing Palisades someday release Muppet minis in stores! To me, I think that excite me more than the day I finally saw the 6" line in stores.

Now then, here is what I think the first 2 mini sets should be(and yes, they should be 5 for $12-$15:

*Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo, Pepe, and Swedish Chef

*Dr. Teeth, Floyd, Janice, Zoot, and Animal

7. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

>>>Wouldn't it be cool if the Muppet Mini sets were all themed around an episode of TMS - but you actually got a video shrinkwrapped to the pack with that exact episode of the Muppet Show so you could watch it and play with the figures wearing the same costumes and using the same accessories ? I this is probably going to be impossible rights wise though<<<

Dont you mean a short dvd? eek, a video...no no...thatd be a major step backwards to the days of skinny ties and Fred Savage.

8. Luke

Luke Active Member

A short length DVD would be cool as well - Mattel seem to be going the video route, maybe duplication costs are cheaper.

9. radionate

radionate New Member

They most likely just found them sitting in a warehouse, blew the dust off of them and stuck 'em in. I mean, who wants a video of He-Man? :D ;)

10. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

>>>They most likely just found them sitting in a warehouse, blew the dust off of them and stuck 'em in. I mean, who wants a video of He-Man?<<<

I sure as heck dont...I wonder if collectors are into the puzzling Heman resurgence because they remember it from their childhood as being somethign they watched, and not neccesarily something that was meaningful or of good quality. Theres a lot of "80's" nostalgia resurgence, and from what I have seen the only genuinely cool one has to be the Transformers comeback.
    Then again I havent been a particulair fan of American cartoons at all;)

11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Cory

I think your choices are great, but part of the attaction of packaged minis is to combine top characters with more obscure ones otherwise the set will only contain the top 7 characters and neglect some realy gems. Puting all the big guns in one wave may serve to weaken future waves.

I can see something like Kermit, Animal, Crazy Harry, Mahnah, Snowth and Sweetums for wave one and Gonzo, Scooter, Beauregard, Uncle Deadly, Boppity and Doglion for the second. Hopefully it would last for several waves so we can get some of the characters who won't likely make it in the regular assortment. Just my thoughts on the strategy. I'll certainly buy them either way.

12. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

>>>I think your choices are great, but part of the attaction of packaged minis is to combine top characters with more obscure ones otherwise the set will only contain the top 7 characters and neglect some realy gems. Puting all the big guns in one wave may serve to weaken future waves.

I can see something like Kermit, Animal, Crazy Harry, Mahnah, Snowth and Sweetums for wave one and Gonzo, Scooter, Beauregard, Uncle Deadly, Boppity and Doglion for the second. Hopefully it would last for several waves so we can get some of the characters who won't likely make it in the regular assortment. Just my thoughts on the strategy. I'll certainly buy them either way<<<

eeek, darn good point. I guess, since each wave would have 5(i would think) it would be good to have kermit, piggy, chef, pepe, and like crazy harry or something. Oh man, did you say frackles??? that would be beyond cool. And lik eyou said, with minis, characters we might never see in the 6" line would fit right in and be possible for this. I seriously cannot see how anyone could not love the minis idea, as the possibilities are truly endless.

13. Luke

Luke Active Member

Then you haven't seen the trailer for the new He-Man animated cartoon - it kicks @ss - Skeletor is like a ninja now and the animation is very polished. You should download it.

14. radionate

radionate New Member

I'd rather watch paint dry. :D

15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Maybe we could even get JP, Thog, Mildred and Hilda. It really seems the only way we would see these guys. And having stackable arches all the way up the wall. eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

I have a question though. If they do make Mahna Mahna, should they make one snowth or two? Or should they release an extra snowth down the line somewhere?

16. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

>>>I'd rather watch paint dry<<<

nate, youre too much! LOL YEah, a ninja skeletor...yeeeagegegag.

>>Maybe we could even get JP, Thog, Mildred and Hilda. It really seems the only way we would see these guys. And having stackable arches all the way up the wall. eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!<<<

THE ONLY WAY we'll see a mjority of our dream list TMS characters...minis is the way to go in 2003!!!

I have a question though. If they do make Mahna Mahna, should they make one snowth or two? Or should they release an extra snowth down the line somewhere?<<<

Mahna Mahna, Snowth one, Snowth 2, Nigel the conductor, and
    a penguin or Thog.

17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

<<Mahna Mahna, Snowth one, Snowth 2, Nigel the conductor, and a penguin or Thog.>>

Ahh, but that's more of a hardcore collector's series. I suspect they'd need a couple of main characters in that to make it successful. I'm thinking they will stick with their two big guns rule. If I am not mistaken, these guns include: Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy, Gonzo, Scooter, Rowlf, Animal, Beaker, Rizzo, Pepe, Sam, Statler and Waldorf.

Also, didn't Ken say there would likely be 6 figures packaged minis?

I am realy excited about the minis even more than the megas!

18. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

>>>If I am not mistaken, these guns include: Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy, Gonzo, Scooter, Rowlf, Animal, Beaker, Rizzo, Pepe, Sam, Statler and Waldorf. <<<

Modern wise? as in Big guns in 2002? Officially these are:
    Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo, Pepe, Animal, Fozzie and Rizzo.

Also, didn't Ken say there would likely be 6 figures packaged minis?<<<

He did? Wow, as the WOS minis are just 5 to a package.
    Personally I think they shoul dbe fisher Price 1978 size, as IMHO that was the raddest line ever.

I am realy excited about the minis even more than the megas!<<<

Good to have ya on board! Oh yes, when one begins to ponder the endless possibilities of the minis, it truly is a remarkable thing.

19. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Yeah, just checked and Ken propsed 6 packs of textured and detailed mini PVC figures "much better than anything that has come before." They would retail from 24.99-29.99 because of the level of quality and paints and they would surpass the ones from DC Direct or Dark Horse. They would be all new sculpts - not rehashes and be themed and contain a few obscure characters per set. Stackable arches were also mentioned.

Now the price does seem a little high, but so does everything else these days. I wouldn't suggest they go to far above 20 dollars but I'm not an expert on markup. It's likely the detail of the figures and not the arch displays (as the will likely be mass produced) that adds to the price tag. Should they be less detailed to bring the price down? How tall are the Simpsons minis?

20. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

>>>Yeah, just checked and Ken propsed 6 packs of textured and detailed mini PVC figures "much better than anything that has come before." They would retail from 24.99-29.99 because of the level of quality and paints and they would surpass the ones from DC Direct or Dark Horse. They would be all new sculpts - not rehashes and be themed and contain a few obscure characters per set. Stackable arches were also mentioned. <<<

Perhaps there is a bit of a discrepency. Maybe Ken thought we were trying to persuade Palisades to mak eTMS pvcs...no no no no no. Those have been done and quite frankly wouldnt do much for me. No, the idea would be something very akin to the Simpsons minis(sorry, there is no other current stuff on the market I could compare to, maybe those TOMY Japanese disney figures tho) I think he pulled that $25-$30 figure from the expensive DC comics 9 count PVC sets...but again, what these would be, would be akin to the Simpsons minis...so I would say $12 to $18 would be a much better price estimate.

Now the price does seem a little high, but so does everything else these days. I wouldn't suggest they go to far above 20 dollars but I'm not an expert on markup. It's likely the detail of the figures and not the arch displays (as the will likely be mass produced) that adds to the price tag. Should they be less detailed to bring the price down?<<<

My preference, ala the great Fisher Price 1978 line. And also, there is quite a bit of detail to the simpsons minis.

How tall are the Simpsons minis?<<<

about 3" are so, they are basically mini action figures, NOT PVCS.
    I think some people may think this campaign is to get TMS PVCS underway.