Return to Labyrinth: The Video Game

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yaey! RTL characters! Aw Toby, looks like you got a Get out of Jail Free card. Oh well... No noose is good news, except for the hangman.
BTW: Is the term for what Moppet is an "abiation" or "abblation"?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
A, b, l, a, t, i, o, n -- ablation. And let's not muse on that at the moment, for the sake of other readers, shall we? :big_grin:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Gotcha... :shifty:
*Sits back down to enjoy gamefic. Nice cinema effect with the rear transparent projection for the flashbacks.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I was thinking of making Moppet temporarily playable, to get people to explore Goblin City before Toby gets there, but it wouldn't really make sense for her to explore the whole city when she has certain demands on her time. So, I just made her chapter in the comic a cinema instead.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... Maybe an expansion pack after the game's finished though? :crazy:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, I think I might know a way. I'm thinking of adding sub-missions after a certain part of the story. The sub-missions could be playable as the other characters.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
GOBLIN CASTLE, 1F

Now that Toby has been freed from the executioner, he can roam freely around the first floor of the castle and the grounds outside. A long narrow hallway borders the interior of the castle, decorated with vases, banners, portraits of Jareth in numerous costumes, and goblin armor on pedestals. There are also small arched windows that permit exterior scenes to be viewed. Starting at the southern entrance, which leads to Goblin City and is currently blocked by goblin guards, straight ahead is a wide hall adorned with flags. On the left of the hallway facing north are a coat room and then an office. On the right, across from the coat room, is a classroom. Across from the left office is another office. Both offices are decorated with small desks, a few bookshelves, and a rug. The classroom has a blackboard on the northern wall, a small lecturn, and a few tables with chairs. North of the hall is the large throne room, modeled after the movie version, with a large throne in a semicircle and is large enough to recline on, like a sofa. It seems to be formed from a gigantic pair of horns, from which cloth is draped onto the seat. There are a couple of chickens clucking around, as well as goblins sitting on random ledges who watch Toby intently. There is a doorway obscured with a stone façade in the northwest corner of the room.

From the main southern entrance, going west, there is a courtroom where Toby’s trial occurred. Just around the corner to the right is a small L-shaped hallway which ends in the King’s office, which is dark but opulently decorated in rugs, bookshelves, ebony desk with stacks of cobweb-covered papers, tall golden candelabras illuminating the room. A pyramid of crystal balls rests among the stacks of papers on the desk.

Progressing north through the hallway, around the corner to the right, is a large ballroom, with white walls, flowing banners, crystal chandeliers, and a double stone staircase with a large door in the center that does not seem to open from the ballroom.

Going further to the east is a conference room where a long table with surrounding chairs rests at one end of the long horizontal room, while stadium seating faces the conference table at the other end of the room.

Past the conference room is a kitchen, filled with animals such as cows and chickens, and looks like a cesspool that would give health code enforcers a stroke. Beyond the kitchen to the south is a long dining room, with a very long dining room table with clawed legs and several highbacked chairs surrounding it. There are candelabras in each corner of the room and a small antler-like chandelier high above the dining room table. At the eastern end of the hallway, a door opens to a large dirt arena with stadium seating on the western and eastern sides. At the far southern end of the arena is a stable where bipedal goofy-looking dragons are kept by goblin attendants. Past the stables, a door leads to a hallway that takes a couple of corners until one gets to a long dungeon with ten cells.

At this point in the game, there are no game-influencing character interactions. Toby will see various goblins attending to duties such as transporting materials, decorating rooms, or sparring in the outdoor arena. From the arena, if Toby looks up, Moppet can be seen sometimes gazing at a sparring Candlewic, who spars with other goblins unless Toby tries to interact with him, in which case he turns around and walks away without saying a word.

After Toby has explored every room there is to explore at the moment, he returns to the throne room in a cinema that activates as soon as he nears the southern entrance again.

Cinema:

Jareth is reclining confidently on his throne, smiling, dressed in the black costume from the beginning of the movie, but not as creepy-looking and frayed. Instead, it seems more like formalwear for an important occasion.

Toby (defiantly): Why did you lead me here? I told you not to mess with me anymore.

Jareth (shrugs): I said I wouldn’t help you. There’s a difference. Besides, for someone so anti-social in school, you seemed to have taken little time gathering an entourage.

Toby (sulking): That’s different. Besides, I managed to get here okay all by myself. Even that weird water thing didn’t take me down.

Jareth (smiling in a close-up, nodding): I know. I must say I’m impressed. Forgive me. My name is Jareth.

Toby (rolls his eyes, looking away): I kinda figured.

Jareth: What do you think of my Labyrinth?

Toby (shrugs): It … it’s totally insane and makes absolutely no sense. But … but … it seems like … somehow … I was always supposed to be here.

Jareth (stands, nodding): The door of opportunity rarely stays closed forever, young Toby.

Toby: I still need to get home.

Jareth (shrugging, smirking): Of course! Get dressed into something a little … *looks disdainfully at Toby’s dirty clothes* … cleaner … and join me for dinner tonight. You’ll be home before your parents. Agreed?

Toby (unsure): Uh, yeah, I guess so.

End cinema.

Toby must now find his way to the coat room, where a tall lanky goblin bows and offers him a choice of wardrobe. You have several tops, bottoms, and accessories to choose from. Whatever you choose shall become your formalwear for the rest of the game.

After the wardrobe is chosen, a cinema plays.

Cinema:
Toby walks into the throne room and a real door now appears where the stone façade was before. It leads to an Escher stair room, with doors on every platform, connected by stairs that come from every angle. It takes five tries for Toby, who grows increasingly visibly irritated, to reach the door that takes him the large door in the ballroom. Jareth is on the balcony, smiling, and patting him on the back.

The Dwarf, Large Yeti, and Sir Didymus are announced by the lanky wardrobe goblin as Prince Hoggle of the Land of Stench, Ludo the Gentle Rock Warrior, and Sir Didymus the Stately Knight of the Goblin Cabinet. Hoggle doesn’t seem too happy to be there. Ludo just slowly greets the dancers. Sir Didymus finds a female creature like himself and begins to waltz.

Deep within the crowd are cameos of various characters from Wizard of Oz, Where the Wild Things Are. A close look reveals a lost-looking Uncle Travelling Matt perusing the buffet table on the side of the ballroom.

The dancers stop briefly to see the Queen from before entering gracefully into the room, as well as the two younger women at her sides.

Announcer (grumbling): I can’t believe they were invited. *clears throat* I am honored to introduce Queen Mizumi of the Kingdom of Moraine and her enchanting daughters, Moulin and Drumlin!

The music playing is a faster tempo remix of As the World Falls Down, which is instrumental only. Mizumi dances with Jareth with a seductive expression. He appears coy. Moppet, dressed in a white lacy gown recalling Sarah’s ballgown, timidly tries to dance with Candlewic, who grabs two other dancers and leaves her heartbroken. Toby finds her and offers to dance with a sympathetic smile. Moulin, the skinny daughter of Mizumi, breaks up the pair and dances with Moppet instead. Drumlin gulps several punchbowls-worth of juice.

Jareth finally taps a wine glass and the dancing stops.

Mizumi (whispering): Embrace your fiancée, my love.

Jareth (smirking, whispering): Is that what I am, Mizumi? I don’t recall agreeing to such an arrangement.

Mizumi (shrugging barely, tracing her lips with her fingers): You cannot stay the hand of destiny, Goblin King.

Jareth (smirks, turns toward the rest of the crowd): I’d like to thank all of you for coming on such short notice. For thirteen hundred years, I have served the Goblin Kingdom. Would that I could continue to do so for another thirteen hundred years, but *looks at Mizumi* no one can stay the hand of destiny. However, I dare not announce my retirement without naming my successor. This person is both wise and trustworthy.

Mizumi (gritting her teeth angrily)

Spittledrum (tears in his eyes in hopeful anticipation as other goblins begin to pat him on the back in congratulations)

Jareth (laughs): The next Goblin King, ladies and gentlemen – and I use the term very loosely – is my lone heir to the throne -- Toby. *glances at a pale Toby, whose jaw is open and his eyes wide as the rest of the dancers gawk at him*
End cinema.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you... Needed a smile about now. Post more when you can.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
GOBLIN CITY

For now, Toby, still dressed in his formalwear, can explore the first floor of the Castle, Goblin City, the Hedge Maze, and the Stone Maze. This is related to Volume 2 of RTL and will be a series of missions related to learning the finer points of governing the Goblin Kingdom.

Goblin City is a very large area, encompassing not only the village seen in the movie, but also a southeastern forest, a southwestern high plateau, a northwestern corner of large fields growing things fit for goblins and herding animals, and a northeastern forest. A large three-sided open stadium faces the entrance to the castle at the midpoint of the northern border. Directly in the center of Goblin City is a large plaza with a water fountain noted in the cinema with Moppet as she strode through the city. Four main streets lead to the plaza, referred to hereafter as North Street, West Street, East Street, and South Street. There are lots of little alleys and minor roads, but they are so crooked and irregular … and numerous, that I’ll let the designer of the game name them, LOL.

In the southwestern corner, high on the plateau, is a robust two-storied mansion, with an external staircase leading to the second floor. This is Candlewic’s mansion. One can see, past the junkyards which encircle the city, a sparkling river leading to a magnificent large lake.

In the southeastern corner, deep within a forest, is an ornately decorated two-story mansion with stables behind it. This is Spittledrum’s mansion.

In the northwestern corner, on the edge of the northwestern border of the city, is a small house, surrounded by farming equipment and barns. This is a goblin family homestead that seems to have been abandoned.

At the midpoint of the southern border is a walled stone area with large double doors and the Humongous Robot embedded in the door.

The northwestern neighborhood, stretching from the plaza to the fields, is a bunch of shops that border each side of North Street and the northern side of West Street and everywhere in between. Some are non-functional, but there are some that include the Money Exchange, Flegwort’s Fresh Shoes, Bret Goldsmith, Piffledoom Café, Mallik’s Pest Shop, and Nymblie’s Fashions. The Money Exchange can be used to turn items into gold. Flegwort’s Fresh Shoes can be used to buy different types of shoes for missions. Bret Goldsmith can be used to turn gold into jewelry. Piffledoom Café is equipped with health-restoring food and ingredients to barter. Mallik’s Pest Shop can be used to buy rats and other creepy creatures to lure or scare away others. Nymblie’s Fashions is used to buy new costumes for other characters.

Behind some of the stores, just before you get to the fields, is a large rectangular building. The Hall of Prophecies is filled with ancient books with several nods to other properties such as Dark Crystal, Farscape, Fraggle Rock, etc.

In the northeastern corner, in between North Street and East Street, and up to the forest in the corner, is an elite neighborhood with the homes of the Goblin Cabinet and other unnamed nobles. The nobles’ houses run along East Street. Behind them are six mansions, in two rows of three. Starting clockwise from the upper left:

Maelgrot’s Mansion: Surrounded by stone statues and other artifacts.
Nymblie’s Mansion: Brightly decorated with banners, flags, and flower gardens.
Glosspan’s Mansion: A stark building with nearly no outdoor décor.
Didymus’ Mansion: A cheerful mansion with a sparring area and gardens.
Jodhspur’s Mansion: An elegant building with stables in the back.
Glockensteal’s Mansion: A building focusing on security, with gates, lookout towers, a moat, and barred windows.

Near the midpoint of the western border is the Museum of Toby, which can be entered and showcases exhibits related to moments in Toby’s life, the premier exhibit being a larger-than-life recreation of Jareth’s throne room, mimicking the scene from the Dance Magic segment of the movie.

Every other building in the southern half of Goblin City is a house. They are patterned after typical European fairy tale appearance, though the architecture is skewed and is every size imaginable, from towering structures to doghouse-sized abodes.

Until I reach describing the other layouts of the Goblin Castle, the rest of this script will describe individual missions that could take place anywhere already mentioned, as well as the occasional cinema to move the plot along.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
SPITTLEDRUM’S MISSIONS

Spittledrum can now be found in the left office on the first floor of the Goblin Castle, if facing the throne room. Talking to him results in an in-game conversation where he will offer a task. Talk again after the mission and you will receive your reward. I am grouping the missions together for the sake of organization, but you can mix and match them to your heart’s content.

Mission 1: Locate members of the Goblin Cabinet and hand them a paper requesting a meeting later.

Toby: We need to talk.

Spittledrum: I’m too busy! Leave me alone! *pauses* Wait a minute! There are several members of the Goblin Cabinet that needs to appear in the castle. *hands Toby the papers* Go round up Didymus, Maelgrot, Nymblie, Glosspan, Glockensteal, and Jodhspur -- and bring them here!

Goblin (dragging a wooden box into the office): Here you go, Mr. Spittledrum, sir.

Spittledrum (confused): What is that?

Goblin: A cabinet. You said you wanted one.

Spittledrum (angrily pounds on his desk, spittle flying everywhere): Get that thing out of here at once!

To accomplish this mission, you must travel to Goblin City and locate the mansion of each member of the Goblin Cabinet.

1. Didymus will have left a note that he is at the Gatehouse, which is that walled area connecting the southern border of Goblin City with the Hedge Maze. He will accept the invitation. This unlocks his missions.
2. Maelgrot is in front of his mansion admiring artifacts. He will accept the invitation. He has no missions.
3. Nymblie has left a note to deliver messages to Nymblie’s Fashions. He is standing inside the shop and will accept the invitation. This unlocks his missions.
4. Glosspan is busy in front of his mansion trying to organize a stack of books. He accepts the invitation. This unlocks a mini-game for the Main Menu which is a trivia game. He has no missions.
5. Glockensteal is arguing with another goblin in front of his mansion. He declines the invitation and states he will accept it if you first give him one Trogpsit. If you didn’t get any in the Hedge Maze, you will have to do so to complete this mission. Once he has one he will accept the invitation. He has no missions.
6. Jodhspur is training behind his mansion. He will accept his invitation. This will unlock a mini-game for the Main Menu which is a goblin sports game, which is sort of like polo but with the bipedal dragons. He has no missions.

Return to Spittledrum.

Toby: Well, they all said they’d come, Spittledrum.

Spittledrum: Excellent! *pause* You said my name right!

Toby (shrugs): Well, I might as well work with you if I’m gonna be here for awhile.

Spittledrum (thoughtfully): Hmmm, yes, yes, I suppose so. You may go.

Reward: A map of Goblin City, the Stone Maze, and the Hedge Maze.

Mission 2: Find Moppet.

Spittledrum (ranting): Go find Moppet! She was supposed to be back here by now! She never should have gone to the ball! I told her not to go! The king didn’t want to see her there!

Ultimately, Moppet can be found on the plateau where Candlewic’s Mansion is. She is sitting on the plateau behind the mansion, seemingly depressed. Talk to her and the conversation will depend on your actions in the Williams’ house in a cinema.

There’s No Place Like Home:
Toby: Spittledrum wants to see you.

Moppet: I know he’s upset. I wasn’t permitted at the ball.

Toby: Are you even from here?

Moppet (offended): Of course I am! I was born here! *pauses* I think.

Toby (sighs, follows her gaze): I wish I could get home. Skub said I was stuck here.

Moppet (nods): The Goblin King can only leave when summoned.

Toby (nods): So they tell me. This is so not cool. My parents will have a cow!

Moppet (innocently turns to him): Why not get one from the Castle stables?

Toby (smirks): No – I meant – just … just never mind. Forget I said it.

Moppet (quietly): I’ve been trying so hard to forget.

A flashback starts, with a young Moppet, wearing a goblin mask, being led by a rope through the Junkyard by a Junklady. Spittledrum arrives in a chariot and starts waving his fist at the Junklady, who angrily heaves Moppet to him and leaves. Spittledrum smiles and puts her gently on his chariot and drives off. End flashback.

Moppet (sighs): I’ll go back. He needs me.

Home Life Sucks:
Toby: Moppet? Spittledrum wants to see you.

Moppet: He’s upset, isn’t he? I wasn’t allowed to go to the ball.

Toby (sits down gently beside her): Look, so you broke out of your daily grind and had some fun. It’s not like anyone got hurt.

Moppet (avoids his gaze): What would the new Prince know of hurt?

Toby (sighs, staring at her tenderly): My parents are always on my case. I can’t even breathe sometimes.

Moppet (hugs herself tightly): But now you’re here and you can’t leave. The Goblin King can only leave when summoned.

Toby (chuckles): I’m in a magical land. Why would I want to leave?

Moppet (turns to him): To be with your parents? They give you shelter and an education and food ….

Toby (sighs): I don’t want to talk about it, okay? Just forget it.

Moppet (quietly): I’ve been trying so hard to forget.

A flashback starts, with a young Moppet, wearing a goblin mask, being led by a rope through the Junkyard by a Junklady. Spittledrum arrives in a chariot and starts waving his fist at the Junklady, who angrily heaves Moppet to him and leaves. Spittledrum smiles and puts her gently on his chariot and drives off. End flashback.

Moppet (sighs): I’ll go back. He needs me.

End cinema.

When you return to Spittledrum, he points to a door and Moppet humbly goes through it.

Spittledrum: Thank you, Your Highness.

Reward: Moppet will be found at the water fountain, which is dry. Talking to her will enable a sub-mission, where you play as Moppet, who must find things for Spittledrum.

TO BE CONTINUED….