Return to Labyrinth: The Video Game

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Sheesh. I had it all planned out, and now that you say something ... all but one has just flittered away to an oubliette, LOL. :wink:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Mission 2: A General’s Pride

Nymblie (happily): Oh, Your Majesty! Just one itsy-bitsy little thing … General Candlewic has been sulking near his mansion. While he’s out of sorts, the goblin army looks absolutely frightful in their armor! I’m certain Sir Didymus would agree with me: They need to take pride in their appearance! The wardrobe is an outward expression of the condition of the heart inside! Don’t you agree?

Toby: Uh … I guess? What about not judging a book from its cover?

Nymble: Pffbt. How are you going to wear a book?

Toby (hangs head, sighing): Never mind. Are you sure this is the last thing?

Nymblie (nods): Oh, do this for your faithful and well-dressed servant, and I won’t bother you again! You’ll then be free to go find Her Majesty, the ever-elegant Mizumi.

Head to Candlewic’s mansion atop the plateau in the southwestern corner of Goblin City. Candlewic is sitting on the steps of his mansion, sharpening his large sword. This mission has nothing really to do with the manga, at least by volume 3, but it does offer a trophy as a reward and some game influences later. Approach and an in-game conversation begins.

Toby: Candlewic? I need to talk to you.

Candlewic (stands, brandishing his sword): You, our king? Pffbt. Hardly.

Toby (crosses arms): What do I need to do to make you happy?

Candlewic (chuckles): Go back to your room, boy. Play with your action figures and your video games. Leave the Goblin Kingdom to those far more worthy than you.

Toby: Like you?

Candlewic (shrugs): Administration and politics are best left to those with no fighting skill. No, my only concern is restoring dignity to the throne of the Goblin Kingdom.

Toby: Yeah? Well, Jareth quit. It doesn’t sound like he could stand being your king. Your dignity bar must be set pretty low.

Candlewic (angrily towering over Toby): I challenge the human scabrat! If you want to be my king, get from the Gatehouse to the Castle – alive.

Toby (chuckles): I think I can handle a walk into town.

Candlewic (chuckles): Can you, now? *bows sarcastically* Be my guest, then. You will receive no help. There is no set path, no time limit – just make it to the castle alive. I will await you there. Of course, if you fail to make it, I will send your corpse to your family for burial. *stands defiantly near the front door of his mansion*

Head over to the Gatehouse and the race to the Goblin Castle will commence. If you have not completed any of Didymus’ missions, the Red, Green, and Yellow Corps will provide heavy resistance, attacking you and setting traps. However, if you’ve been fighting with them thanks to Didymus’ missions, they will rarely attack and won’t chase you at all. Regardless, it’s possible to avoid them anyway. Remember Sarah’s run through Goblin City? She had goblins attacking and running all over the place and she was able to get to the castle without a scratch. The goblins are tenacious, but on their own their intelligence leaves a lot to be desired. They can be lost just weaving in and out of the housing district. On the other hand, if you really want to, you can decide to fight every single group of soldiers. Getting to the castle without fighting earns you the Nice Place to Visit trophy, while fighting your to the castle beyond the Goblin City earns you the Hostile Tourist trophy. Once you enter the castle, Candlewic will be waiting just inside the throne room. He doesn’t seem pleased to see you.

Toby (panting): Well, I made it.

Candlewic (arrogantly): Even a rat can hide from the owl.

Toby (curtly): Face it, Candlewic. You’re misjudging me. You’re a valiant general and your talents are wasted on trying to harass me like some high school bully. I’ve won your little game. Now concede your loss and concentrate your efforts on making your army the pride of the Goblin Kingdom.

Candlewic (irritated): They already are!

Toby (shakes head): No, they’re not. They’re shabby and a bunch of couch potatoes. The land of Moraine considers the Goblin Army a joke.

Candlewic (growls)

Toby: Stop being angry at me and start doing your job, Candlewic! I expect the army to be fit and their armor so shiny it’s blinding. Am I understood?

Candlewic (takes a few moments to answer, more humbly): Y-yes, Your Highness. *pauses* You will see the glory of the army upon your coronation.

Toby (nods): Thank you. Dismissed.

Candlewic (bows): Sir. *leaves*

Return to Nymblie just outside the Coat Room.

Toby (sighs): It’s like pulling teeth with him.

Nymblie: Your Highness?

Toby: I mean it was difficult, but I got him to agree to shape up the army.

Nymblie (nods): I see. I suppose the goblin equivalent to your saying is that it was like waging a wart.

Toby: Waging a war? I don’t think it was that bad.

Nymblie (chuckles, shooing Toby away playfully): Oh, pshaw, Your Majesty! Your sense of humor is so keen! Why on earth would we wage war? No, waging warts is far more enjoyable.

Toby: How on earth do you --?

Nymblie (shakes head): Never mind. Now, you go over to the staircase in the Throne Room. Don’t forget: you have a meeting with Her Majesty Mizumi. You mustn’t give the appearance of apathy. *sighs* It just ruins the complexion.

Toby (sighs): Right.

Reward: The Goblin Corps’ armor will be cleaner looking and their strength will increase by 5%.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
MOPPET’S SUB-MISSION

After you found Moppet in Spittledrum’s mission, she will be at a dry water fountain in the Plaza. If you talk to her, you will activate a sub-mission where you will play as Moppet instead.

Toby: Hi, Moppet. Spittledrum wanted to know if you can get a few things for him. You don’t mind, do you?

Moppet (shakes head, sighing): I live to serve my master.

Toby: Well, I’ll stay here while you go run some errands. Let me know when you’re done, okay?

Moppet (shyly): Of course, Your Majesty.

Toby (warmly): You know you can call me Toby, Moppet.

A checklist will appear on the screen. For those who require audio assistance, highlighting each option will make an audio version play. This isn’t quite just a straight shopping spree. It’s actually one of those “can you follow directions” kinds of things.

1. Buy boot laces.
2. Buy pests and wake up lazy guards at the Gatehouse.
3. Buy a roast pigwidgeon for Lady Mizumi and deliver it to the kitchen.
4. Obtain a report about Toby’s progress from Glosspan, Jodhspur, and Glockensteal and return them to Spittledrum’s mansion.
5. Inform Candlewic to report to Spittledrum’s mansion.
6. Buy a belt buckle from Bret Goldsmith’s.
7. On second thought, don’t do numbers 1 and 6, and inform Candlewic to report to Spittledrum’s office.

Most of these are pretty self-explanatory. When finding Candlewic, you are offered a choice of sending him to Spittledrum’s mansion or office. Make sure you pick the right one.

If you get it wrong, Spittledrum will berate you after you talk to Toby.
If you get it right, Spittledrum will thank you and tell you to talk to Toby and give him a list of his objectives.

Reward: You will have an objective checklist to ensure you’ve done all you plan to do. It will be updated as needed.
1. Complete all of Spittledrum’s missions (required).
2. Complete all of Nymblie’s missions (required).
3. Complete the first two of Didymus’ missions (optional).
4. Complete Moppet’s sub-mission (optional).
5. Complete Hana’s sub-mission (optional).
6. Help Hana find her wings (optional).
7. Complete Mizumi’s missions (required).

With the Playstation 3, sometimes you can download new content. This is convenient as it means I don’t have to go back and edit posts when I want to add something. For the sake of this walkthrough, let’s say you download some new content.

New Trophies:
Conscientious Collector: Obtain at least one of each type of item available to find or buy.
The Way to a Man’s Heart: Hana must obtain all of Skub’s ingredients for Toby’s dinner.

New Item:
Crystal Ball (shows you short clips of what Irene and Robert Williams are doing while you’re in the Goblin Kingdom and are available for the music video option on the menu): Can be found in the King’s office on the first floor of the castle.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
MIZUMI’S MISSIONS AND THE REST OF THE GOBLIN CASTLE

After you’ve completed Spittledrum’s and Nymblie’s missions, you can go find Mizumi. She is at the top of the castle. So far, you have only played the first floor. There is one more, but the layout is strange and is affected by the stairway to get to those floors. Naturally, the stairway will no longer be blocked and you can enter. Unlike the last time, where you entered the Escher room during a cinema, now you can walk it yourself. Unlike the movie, though, several walkways seem to be under construction, with temporary wooden walkways bridging gaps. The walkways will give way in ten seconds. If you were positive to Drumlin, they will break in twenty seconds, and if you were negative to her, they will break in five seconds.

On each of the stone walkways that still exist, there will be a door. Some are locked and some are unlocked. They are also not all available unless you are on a certain difficulty. I haven’t spoken much of the difficulty levels from the main menu, but this is one area where the difficulty will affect what you can do. On Easy Difficulty, you cannot switch perspectives in the Escher room to get to doors underneath you. You can only follow the paths and staircases that will lead up to Mizumi on the roof, though any door you find on the way up will be unlocked. On Medium Difficulty, there will be an audio-visual prompt to press square when at a set point where you can change perspective. On Hard Difficulty, there will be no prompt but you can change perspectives anywhere – so long as you have taken two magic lessons from Mizumi.

The first floor is notable for only having one door, one to the Throne Room. The second floor will have four doors readily accessible and two doors only available if you can change perspectives and walk upside down on the other side of the walkways. The third floor is the roof and has two doors, the one on the top of the walkway and one underneath it.

The second floor is a linear labyrinth of hallways. In other words, it is just one hall that doesn’t branch and just goes back and forth until it leads back to the entrance/exit. The hall is interrupted, however, by several rooms. In the northwest corner of the castle is a large suite used for guests to the Goblin Kingdom. This is where Mizumi, her daughters, and Esker is staying during the rest of the plot. It has six bedrooms, a luxurious living space with a sizeable library, and an elegant bathroom. It is by far one of the most beautiful places in all of the Goblin Kingdom. Just south of that room is Jareth’s bedroom. It is very Gothic, with gargoyles and armored statues facing his large bed in the center of the room. His bed is covered in silvery blue linens. The frame’s headboard is a gigantic barn owl with wings outstretched. The frame rests above feet shaped like claws. All of it is gold-plated. There are very large arched windows with dark blue curtains. A large rug on the floor is dark blue with gold trim, reminiscent of his costume in Sarah’s ballroom dream. There is a small dark wooden nightstand by the bed on its left, with an overturned glass on top.

In the northeast corner of the castle is a Hall of Dreams, a rectangular room oriented north to south and set up similarly to The Museum of Toby, with exhibits that show each main character’s most heartfelt dreams.

Just south of the Escher room entrypoint on this floor is a long rectangular room that stretches east to west called the Hall of Worlds. This is a blatant plug for other Henson properties. Inside the room are several small set pieces that are replicas of the Gorg Living/Dining Room from Fraggle Rock, the bridge of Moya from Farscape, a pond with a kid dressed in a white wolf costume and a paper crown sleeping in a boat in the center of the pond, a scene of Sid’s bedroom from Sid the Science Kid as he sits on a bed contemplating stormy weather outside his fake window, and a replica of the Crystal Room from The Dark Crystal. All of them seem like high-school play-worthy set pieces.

There are other rooms, but for the sake of the plot, I’ll reveal them later.

Mission 1:

To add another chink in the gameplay, remember that Mizumi said you had to meet her by sundown. Now, if you’ve been exploring or completing all the other missions, you’d probably miss the next night. So, instead, Mizumi will only be present on the roof of the castle every evening from 4-10PM according to the game clock.

She will be staring at the kingdom when Toby approaches her. Talk to her and an in-game conversation begins.

Mizumi (curtly): I was beginning to think you weren’t up to the challenge.

Toby: But I’m here.

Mizumi (nods, more calm): I’m pleased to see you proved me wrong.

Toby: You said you’d teach me magic.

Mizumi (walks past him): No, you must learn how to use it yourself. (if you acquired fire magic from the fireys) I hear you have promise.

Toby (if you acquired fire magic from the fireys): If I have such great potential, why couldn’t I do that before?

Mizumi (if you acquired fire magic from the fireys): It is not only who you are but where you are that influences your ability.

The rest of this conversation assumes you did not get fire magic from the fireys.

Toby: Uh, okay.

Mizumi (sighs): Magic is a manifestation of will. When you are in control of your desires, all that you desire will be yours. *points to the door Toby came from* We will begin with something basic. You must first learn restraint. *sarcastically* Human teenagers are good at that, aren’t they? Do you still have the phial?

Toby: Yeah. What about it?

Mizumi: Simple. *points to a large target that poofs just beside her* Use the phial on that target. Only if you soak just the bullseye will you complete the task.

The target will fill up nearly the entire screen as the point of view changes to first person. Instructions will appear at the top: Use the left and right analog sticks to soak the bullseye. The left analog stick controls the direction of the water and the right analog stick controls the power of the stream.

The controls are very sensitive. Only by barely moving the analog sticks do you have a prayer of soaking just the bullseye. When you succeed, the lesson ends.

Mizumi (nods): A noble effort, Your Majesty.

Toby: What next?

Mizumi (chuckles): Your persistence shows you shall be a noble king.

Goblin (runs into view, tugging on Toby’s leg): Sir! Sir! Dinner is almost upon us!

Toby (tries to shoo the goblin away): Okay. What’s on the menu?

Goblin (in a panic): That’s just it, sire – your new cook Skub is going to starve you!

Mizumi (dryly): I suppose it would have been wise to pack a lunch before journeying to this kingdom. *to Toby* Wouldn’t you agree, Your Highness?

You now have a choice. If you decide to ignore the problem, you can continue with Mizumi’s missions. If you decide to check into it, you can go down to the first floor and the kitchen and talk to Skub, which will begin Hana’s sub-mission.

TO BE CONTINUED ….

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Note: For some strange reason, I failed to mention the kid in the wolf suit was from Where The Wild Things Are. Whoops.

Mission 2: The Pathmaker

Whether you decided to go help Skub or not, talk to Mizumi again for the next mission and a cinema starts.

Positive Conversation:
Mizumi (smiling): You were wise to return to your lessons, Your Highness.

Toby (smiles, nodding): I’m here to learn all I can.

Mizumi: As I said before, magic is derived from your will. The Labyrinth is a manifestation of Jareth’s will. It is a living thing. *places her hands on his shoulders* As heir, your will shall drive the Labyrinth.

Toby (smiles): If it’s so easy, how come I can’t control it yet?

Mizumi (draws a labyrinth in the air with mist): The Labyrinth has a mind and heart – called the Pathmaker. *points at the center of her drawing* Find the heart at the center of the Labyrinth. Open the door to it, and all its power shall be yours.

Toby: I just have to find the heart of the Labyrinth?

Mizumi (nods, in a serious tone): It is of utmost importance. If you fail to find it, the entire kingdom will be chaos, crumbling into dust.

Toby (grins): Does every magical kingdom have a heart?

Mizumi: The heart is very powerful. It gives life to all within its influence. Leave no area unexplored. Do not rest until you find the Pathmaker.

Toby (timidly): What if I can’t find it?

Mizumi: Find any clue you can. Jareth will have kept it well-hidden. Return to me with what you find.

Character influence: You will now have water magic.
Scenery influence: Water fountains will be running with sparkling water.

Negative conversation:
Mizumi (smiling): You were wise to return to your lessons, Your Highness.

Toby (shrugs): Gotta get this done sooner or later.

Mizumi (frowns momentarily, but recovers): As I said before, magic is derived from your will. The Labyrinth is a manifestation of Jareth’s will. It is a living thing. *places her hands on his shoulders* As heir, your will shall drive the Labyrinth.

Toby (sarcastically): Oh, boy! I can control a tortured brick tourist trap! Yay me!

Mizumi (frowns, curtly): Beware, Your Highness – the Labyrinth has a mind and heart – called the Pathmaker. *draws a labyrinth in the air with mist* To obtain the power of the Labyrinth, a power that cannot be denied, you must open the door to the Pathmaker’s lair at the center of the Labyrinth.

Toby: Pffbt. That’s it? Just get to the center, take a bite of the lollipop and it’s all mine?

Mizumi (nods): It is of utmost importance. Shirk your duties to your kingdom and it will crumble before your eyes.

Toby: I could’ve sworn I’ve heard the whole “find the heart at the center” thing before. It was either some stupid video game crossover or some eighties’ kids’ show.

Mizumi (turns from him): The heart of the kingdom is immensely powerful. It gives life to all within its influence. Leave no area unexplored. Do not rest until you find the Pathmaker.

Toby: If you know it’s at the center, why don’t you go get it?

Mizumi (angrily clenching her fist): Away with you! Stay your tongue or invite war with the might of the Kingdom of Moraine! Return to me only with the Pathmaker or the clues to locate it!

Character influence: Water-lion creatures will be found in the Labyrinth and in Goblin City.
Scenery influence: The water fountain will be dry for the remainder of the game and the hedges in the Hedge Maze will be browned.

End cinema.

Now you must go find items or visit areas that will offer clues to the Pathmaker. Even though you can visit Skub down in the kitchen, Hana’s sub-mission can’t be activated during a main mission. The mazes are just the same position, but some of the walls are crumbling in the stone maze, blocking off some paths, and some of the hedges are overgrown, blocking off some areas. There are also locked gates appearing in some places that can only be unlocked with the keystone, with a bag of 200 gold behind each one, for a maximum of 800 gold.

Stone Maze New Item:
Carp scale pants
Hedge Maze New Item:
Tall shepherd’s crook

If you go to Maze 5 of the Stone Maze and you have the Lipstick in your inventory, a ghostly Teen Sarah will look around in different directions before staring at the ground.

Teen Sarah ghost (throwing down her lipstick): Somebody’s been changing my marks! What a horrible place this is! It’s not fair!

In Maze 1 of the Hedge Maze, near the pipes Hoggle was working on, Teen Sarah’s ghost and Movie Hoggle’s ghost are walking down a path.

Hoggle (irritated, wiping his face off with his sleeve): Why did you have to go and do a thing like that?

Teen Sarah (happily): Do what? You mean rescue you?

Hoggle (growls): No! You kissed me!

In Maze 3 of the Hedge Maze, Jareth’s ghost, wearing a brown leather jacket and tight riding pants, is nearly choking Hoggle’s ghost.

Jareth (angrily): Higgle, if I thought for one second you’d betray me, I’d be forced to suspend you head first into the Bog of Eternal Stench!

Hoggle (screaming): No, Yer Majesty! Not the Bog of Eternal Stench!

Jareth (shoves him away): Oh, yes, Hoggle!

In the Throne Room of the castle, a small cinema of Toby looking around as disembodied voices echo throughout the room.

Teen Sarah’s voice: Generous? What’ve you done that’s generous?

Jareth’s voice (angrily): Everything! Everything you have wanted I have done. *unintelligible* You cowered before me. I was frightening. I have reordered time. I have turned the world upside down – and I’ve done it all for you! *sighs* I’m exhausted by living up to your expectations of me. Isn’t that generous?

Nymblie is standing near the door to the Escher Room if you have either the Carp scale pants or the Tall shepherd’s crook or both. Approach to talk to him.

Nymblie: Your Majesty?

Toby: I found some stuff you might like out in the Labyrinth.

Nymblie (holding the carp pants): Ah, a fine piece of work, filled with love and devotion. (holds up the shepherd’s crook, gasping) The Pontifex’s staff! He’ll be so pleased to see it returned! *bows* Thank you, Your Highness. The Queen of Moraine awaits you.

Back on the roof, Mizumi greets you the same regardless of how you treated her.

Mizumi: Any luck finding the Pathmaker.

Toby (shakes head, disappointed): Not really.

Note: I would give the ending cinema to wrap up volume 2’s content, but as Hana’s sub-mission will explain a little more about what’s happening during the cinema, I’ll include that next instead.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Mmm, I look forward to Hana's sub-mission then.
And is it bad of me to love Teen Sarah Ghost's line about someone changing the marks she made?
Thankses. <333 this ficwalkthrough.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, since you said you didn't recognize the Lipstick, and I wanted to make sure every object had a purpose, I made it unlock a flashback. I tried really hard to come up with scenes that could summarize Sarah's quest: the frustrated brat soon becomes a strong heroine only to discover that her adversary is practically admitting he let her win.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
HANA’S SUB-MISSION

Note: Most of this takes place during volume 2, though things might be fleshed out more or rearranged to suit the mission. For instance, by volume 3, Hana hasn’t found her wings yet, but it will be included here, though I’m making up where it is found, as it hasn’t been addressed yet.

Toby must go to the kitchen on the first floor of the castle and approach Skub.

Toby: Is there a problem with the kitchen, Skub?

Skub (desperately hiding a large pile of cookbooks): Oh, no, Prince Toby! Everything is easy-peazy!

Toby (shrugs): Okay. *leaves*

The camera stays with Skub, who eventually sits down on a stool and sobs. Hana and Stank enter the kitchen.

Hana: Hey, Pig-Face, you see my wings around here? *looks at sobbing Skub* What’s wrong?

Skub (sniveling): Skub was going to make Toby’s favorite dish for dinner, but Skub doesn’t have the ingredients. Poor Toby will starve and it is all Skub’s fault!

Hana: C’mon, kid. It can’t be that bad. We’ll get whatever you need for you.

Skub (hops up and down with joy): You will?

Hana (nods): Leave it to the experts.

Skub (nods, grinning): We need cheese, flour, butter, salt, and elbows.

Hana: Elbows? What kind of elbows?

Skub (shrugs): Small squishy ones.

Hana (shrugs): We could use scab-rats. They got four elbows apiece. *pensively* Or are those knees?

Skub: Knees are fine! Knees and cheese! *laughs* Please get them to Skub right away!

Hana: You got it.

Naturally, this is a scavenger hunt. To make things easier, each object will be unlocked after finding the one before it. In other words, you can only locate one object at a time before you can find the next one. However, the unlocking will be immediate after locating something, so you don’t have to return to Skub each time. Once you gain control of Hana and Stank, leave the kitchen. Hana stops Stank and questions him in-game.

Hana: So, Stank … what do we look for first?

A list of the ingredients appears on-screen, which Hana will read aloud when highlighting each choice if audio assistance is activated. Once you pick an ingredient, Stank will start sniffing slowly. The sniffing will become more excited the closer you get to an ingredient. Once you are near the ingredient, you will lose control of Hana and Stank momentarily while Stank dashes to the ingredient and puts it in a satchel.

Hana (each time you get an ingredient): Great work, Stank! What’ll we get next?

Hana (after the last ingredient has been obtained): Alright, Stank! Back to the kitchen!

The locations of the ingredients (Elbows must be last and cannot be located until the other ones have been):

Cheese: Can be found just outside the door to the Piffledoom Café.

Flour: Next to Nymblie’s flower garden at his mansion (remember, the goblins like puns).

Butter: Can be found in the fields in Northwest Goblin City.

Salt: Is next to Glockensteal as he sleeps in front of his mansion. After all, he surely thinks he’s worth his salt.

Elbows: This one is a bit harder. Stank will indicate the store owner of Mallik’s Pest Shop has some. Approach Mallik.

Mallik: Can I interest you in some scab rats?

Hana: Actually, they happen to be just what I’m looking for.

Mallik: How much are you gonna pay?

Hana: Uh….

Mallik (chuckles): Stupid fairies … always trying to get something for nothing.

Hana (offended): Hey!

Mallik: I hear the Hall of Prophecies has word of a big bug that’d scare the pants off a chicken.

Hana: Chickens have pants?

Mallik: That’s not the point! You find me a map where I can find these giant bugs, and I’ll get ya all the scab rats you need, Fairy.

Hana (sighs): Fine. Let’s go, Stank. Off to the Hall of Prophecies.

Stank’s sniffing will signal how close you are to the Hall of Prophecies if you forgot where it is. Or you could use the map.

Once in the Hall of Prophecies, look for a replica of Aughra’s planetarium. Stank will locate the map, which has a big picture of a Garthim on it.

Once you obtain this item, a cinema follows.

Cinema:

Hana and Stank hear footsteps and they cautiously follow them. Mizumi and Toby are walking down an aisle, approaching an elderly goblin in flowing robes and long white mustache and beard. Hana and Stank hide behind a pile of books.

Elderly goblin (to Toby and Mizumi): May I help you?

Mizumi (nods): We’re here about a prophecy.

Elderly goblin (looks at a long scroll on his podium): What’s the occasion?

Mizumi (grins): Toby is to be king tomorrow.

Elderly goblin (nods): King, eh? That’s good – lots of prophecies about kings. *takes some books off the floor and puts them on the podium* Lessee … “At a certain place, at an undisclosed time ….”

Mizumi (curtly): Too vague.

Elderly goblin (throws the book away and reads from another): This one is crystal clear. “When single shines the triple sun ….”

Mizumi (angrily): Crystal clear? You must be cracked!

Elderly goblin (sighs, throws away the book, and reads from the last one): Ah, perhaps this will be better. “When king of old forsakes his hall, and chaos comes to goblin town, a human boy shall heed the call, the long-lost heir shall don the crown.”

Mizumi (cheerfully places an arm around Toby’s shoulders): See? It rhymes. How nice!

Elderly goblin: There’s more. “A promise of yore, born of blood, will open path to Labyrinth’s heart … *Mizumi can be seen grinning darkly* … and usher forth a wond’rous flood. A new era then shall start.”

Toby (timidly): Uh … what’s this about blood?

Mizumi (shakes her head): Every prophecy has a little fine print. It’s nothing to worry about. Shouldn’t we get back to the castle? I’m sure your friends are dying to see you. *Toby and Mizumi leave.*

Elderly goblin (calls out): Wait! *sighs* No one ever waits until the end. *reads from the text* “When friends are far and family lost, and prince cast into dark abyss, the Labyrinth and rightful heir shall be restored by true love’s kiss.”

Hana (whispers to Stank): That doesn’t sound good. We need to get back to the castle ourselves, Stank. Let’s go.

End cinema.

As you enter the castle, Moppet stops you.

Moppet: Have you seen Toby?

Hana (bitterly): He’s with that water witch. Good luck trying to get him to help you. He’s more selfish than Jareth ever was.

Moppet: You need his help?

Hana: Yeah. I need to find my wings. The goblins stole them from me. How’d you like having your arms ripped off? They were a part of me. It’s like having your identity taken from you. You wouldn’t understand.

Moppet (sadly, hanging her head): Yes, I do. *brightens up* Let me help you find them.

Hana: Seriously?

Moppet (nods): Where have you looked?

Hana (angrily): The Labyrinth had zilch! I was tempted to just go yank some wings off some other fairy!

Moppet: Then I suppose the only other place left is the castle.

Hana: I guess, but I wanna check out the shops around Goblin City first. I needed some scab rats, and I have to get them from this guy who wants a map for bugs or something. It could be he collected my wings, too.

Moppet (nods): Let’s go see, then.

Moppet will join Hana and Stank as they return to Mallik’s Pest Shop. Approach him to hand over the map.

Mallik: Good. *reads, sighing* Frell. They don’t live on this world at all. *throws the map away* Worthless piece of junk.

Hana: Hey! What about our deal?

Mallik (chuckles): I don’t do deals with fairies.

Moppet: Mayor Spittledrum will be very interested to know you refuse to supply the castle for the coronation.

Mallik (trembles): Spittledrum? Why didn’t ya say so? I’d do anything for the Mayor and His Majesty, of course! Please accept my apologies! *hands her a cage filled with scab-rats, which look like mutated rats*

Moppet (bows): You are too generous, Mallik.

Hana (to Moppet as Mallik ducks into his store): That was genius.

Moppet (puts her free hand behind her head): I suppose so. *giggles, then stops* Why did you think your wings might be in Goblin City? *snaps* We should’ve asked Mallik about them.

Hana: Well, to be honest, I bet that cheapskate Flegwort has them. He’s the one who accused me of theft and had my wings ripped off. I bet he keeps them as a trophy.

Moppet: The shoe sales goblin? How awful! We should definitely go ask.

Hana, Stank and Moppet must go to Flegwort’s.

Flegwort: Ah, Moppet! How may I be of service today?

Moppet (to Hana): Let me handle this. *to Flegwort* Kind Mr. Flegwort – I don’t suppose you know the location of some spare fairy wings, do you?

Flegwort: Well, I suppose.

Hana: I knew it!

Flegwort (spies Hana, his tone furious): How dare you infest my shop again, you tiny little flea speck! Now get out!

Moppet: But, sir --.

Flegwort: I won’t have fairies stinking up my shop! Now get out! This little bug nearly destroyed my dream of being a successful shoe salesman!

Hana: I did not! *under her breath* I’m not a bug, either – jerk.

Flegwort pushes them out of the shop and closes the door behind them.

Moppet: I’m sorry, Hana.

Hana (sighs): I’ll never find them. Any dream I had of finding them is completely dashed.

Moppet (snaps, smiling): Dreams? I think I know of just the place. There is a room on the second floor of the castle called the Hall of Dreams. It might give us a clue about where to find your wings.

Hana (sighs): Lead the way, Goblin Girl.

Follow Moppet to the Hall of Dreams. There is a model of Hana holding a pair of wings. A cinema starts as you approach.

Cinema: Moppet takes down the wings from the model of Hana and hands them to the little fairy.

Hana (holds them, her lip quivering): These aren’t fake. They’re real. My wings. *pause, becomes quiet* My missing wings. *looks up at Moppet* Thanks.

Moppet (smiles): No problem. Let’s go.

They walk around the Escher room, but Stank flips over to the underside of a walkway. There is a door underneath the Hall of Worlds door and underneath Mizumi’s guest room. Both doors are locked. However, Moppet stares at the one under Mizumi’s guest room.

Moppet: I feel something … important … in here.

Hana: Pick me up. I’ll see if I can’t pick the lock.

Moppet picks up Hana and Hana stuffs her hands into the keyhole and it unlocks. Inside is a replica of Teen Sarah’s bedroom, but it is in devastating condition, as though an earthquake hit it and has been long abandoned.

Moppet and Hana (gasp)

Moppet (spies a small golden object on the vanity across from the decrepit bed): What’s this? *opens a music box, where a headless ballet dancer moves to the music-box version of As the World Falls Down* I – I – I know this song. *looks around* These things … they don’t belong here. I don’t … I don’t belong here. We have to leave!

The door’s lock clicks.

Hana: That can’t be good.

Moppet (rushes to the door and opens a small window to find Drumlin grinning hungrily at her)

Drumlin (licking her lips): Boo! *winks*

Moppet (gasps)

Hana (panicking): We have to get out of here! We have to find Toby!

Drumlin (breaks through the door, rubbing her stomach): I’m thirsty. You’ll do.

End cinema.

Hana, Moppet, and Stank must get back to the first floor before Drumlin can kill Moppet. Whenever Drumlin gets close to Moppet, she will grab her and start draining her moisture. A command prompt (with audio assist if needed) forces the player to enter a three-button combination which will result in Hana biting Drumlin, Stank tripping Drumlin, which makes her drop Moppet, and finally Stank summoning a stone from the wall and it hitting Drumlin in the head, knocking her out for a few seconds. If Moppet dies, an angry Jareth will appear next to Toby and Toby will pass out, waking up in his bedroom as his alarm is going off. It will be Game Over and you will have to repeat the sub-mission all over again.

Before you reach the stairs that lead to the first floor, however, Moppet falls off a walkway.

End cinema.

This is the end of Hana’s sub-mission. You return to controlling Toby to finish Mizumi’s missions.

This next cinema occurs at the end of Mizumi’s mission.

Down below, Toby and Mizumi are just entering the Escher room from the Throne Room. Toby looks up as Moppet screams and gasps.

Toby (yelling): Moppet! No! *his arms stretch out and enlarge, catching Moppet before she hits the ground*

Drumlin, Hana, and Stank fall afterward. Drumlin smacks hard into the ground, forming a puddle of fluid beneath her. Hana and Stank bounce off her ample belly and dash toward Toby.

A close-up of Mizumi reveals her growing anger, though she is astonished at first.

Mizumi (voice-over, thinking): His magic is instinctive, but it is strong. I have been unwise to think of giving up on him.

Toby (his arms returning to normal): Moppet, are you okay?

Hana: We’re fine, thanks.

Moppet’s mask has fallen off and it floats to the floor. Moppet sobs and turns toward the camera.

Toby (alarmed): Sarah?

Moppet appears to have Teen Sarah’s face. She collapses to the ground, crying.

End cinema.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
THE PATHMAKER

This is basically volume three of Return to Labyrinth, but events may be moved around, deleted, etc. For example, Jareth tries to convince Sarah to return to the Labyrinth, but that will be addressed in her playthrough. Other parts are changed around because really there isn’t a lot of room in this volume for quote-unquote “quests”, so I’m changing things to make it more than just one really long cinema.

After the cinema ends and Moppet’s face is revealed, an in-game scene takes place.

Moppet (runs away, crying)

Toby (lunges toward her): Moppet!

Mizumi: The girl needs some space, Your Majesty.

Hana: What about her? *points to a dazed Drumlin* She tried to strangle Moppet!

Toby (as goblin soldiers walk into the Escher room’s first floor): Take her to the dungeon to dry out.

Drumlin (pleading): Mother!

Mizumi (bows): Your Majesty, if my *voice growls* daughter *voice returns to normal* has offended your friends, she did so unbeknownst to me. Do with her as you wish.

Drumlin (gasps as she is taken away)

Mizumi (places a hand on Toby’s shoulder): You must focus all of your energy on your coronation.

Spittledrum (appears, sounds angry): That can wait! *to Toby* Your Majesty, the Labyrinth is falling apart! A schism has opened up throughout the Labyrinth and the Goblin Corps, Red, Green, and Yellow, have all gone missing in the mazes! We can’t have a traditional goblin coronation without them!

Toby: Wait, what do you mean by “traditional”? I thought Jareth was the only Goblin King.

Spittledrum (hops up and down angrily): Never mind that! We absolutely have to get them back! *pauses, looking back wistfully, his voice now tender* Moppet has to be found too, Your Majesty. I don’t care if you have to interrogate everyone in Goblin City … find her and bring her back to the castle.

Mizumi: Do so quickly, Your Majesty. Time is short. *leaves*

After the scene ends, your list from Spittledrum is updated.

Rescue the Goblin Corps (required)
Find Moppet (required)

After either one is completed, a cinema will start.

For the purposes of the walkthrough, we shall begin with Rescue the Goblin Corps.

Whoa, has the Labyrinth seen better days! Have you memorized every turn, every room, every corner? Ah, well, the heart of the Labyrinth is dying. That means more than just some blocked paths. There are more traps and some mazes have been completely changed. Mazes 1, 2, and 5 of the Stone Maze have now become concentric square paths with no openings. However, there is a line of doors that are locked and can be unlocked with the keystone. If you don’t have it yet, you will as you set out to the Labyrinth in the Gatehouse, as it will be hanging on the wall next to the door that leads to the Hedge Maze. These doors will let you get to each successive path. The door puzzles have been deactivated and must be unlocked as well. The Red Corps is in Maze 1 of the Stone Maze. The Green Corps is in Maze 2 and the Yellow Corps are in Maze 5. They are all in the center of their respective mazes, beset by ten powerful enemies each. Red Corps is facing aggressive Topiary Soldiers. Green Corps is facing gigantic Helping Hands that burst out of the ground or the walls. Yellow Corps is facing a menacing dragon nearly as tall as a stone wall and breathes fire.

The other mazes are as-is, other than there are new items and blocked off paths mentioned earlier.

New Items:

Stone Sword: Found in Maze 4 of the Stone Maze. Fans of Dark Crystal will note it is one of the swords used in the Trial by Stone to determine the Skeksis Emperor. It is the most powerful of all the weapons, though it is rather slow, like how Pyramid Head’s Big Knife was obscenely powerful but really slow in Silent Hill 2. It will take down everything but the Helping Hands, Water-Lions, and Bosses in two to four hits.

Zap Net x 5: Electrocutes enemies. Particularly effective on Water-Lions … or any other enemy from Moraine.

Bowl of Macaroni and Cheese x 2: A special from Skub’s kitchen, it restores all of your health.

After rescuing each Corps, they join you and will remain with you until you return to Goblin City, where they will part ways temporarily.

Since this objective is complete, I shall go ahead and include the cinema here.

Cinema:

In the hallway leading to the dungeon, Candlewic is marching solemnly toward the entry to the dungeon. Several red demons are playing cards on a table. They are from The Storyteller. One of them looks up in fear.

Demon Leader: General Candlewic! Care to play a game?

Candlewic (angrily): I need a moment with the prisoner … alone!

Demon Leader (nods, groveling): Y-y-yes, sir! Right away, sir!

Demon Flunky 1: We’ve been sacked!

Demon Flunky 2: Not again!

As they flutter away, Candlewic is enshrouded in mist, revealed to be Mizumi. She enters the dungeon and stops at Drumlin’s cell.

Drumlin (grabs the bars): Mum! It’s about time! I was starting to think you weren’t --.

Mizumi (curtly): Silence! You gravely disappoint me, Drumlin. For thirteen years I’ve waited for this moment, and you risk everything with your recklessness!

Drumlin (pleading): You said to get them out of your way! I thought you’d be pleased!

Mizumi (growling): Until I have what I came for, I need them alive! Not to mention … *close up of Mizumi’s furious eyes* … by putting yourself at risk, you put me at risk.

Drumlin (falls to the floor): I’m – I’m sorry, Mum. It won’t happen again.

Mizumi: Of that you can be certain. I’m sending you home immediately.

The camera changes angle to reveal Moulin’s Nimbus watching the scene intently and then changes back.

Drumlin (quivering): To Moraine?

Mizumi (shakes her head slowly): It’s much too late for that.

Steam starts to erupt from Drumlin’s body and she screams in pain. The steam swirls up into the air and is absorbed by Mizumi’s arms until Drumlin is completely absorbed. Nimbus flies away hurriedly.

Mizumi (cradling her stomach, smiling): I had forgotten what hope feels like. It’s been so long.

End cinema.

Find Moppet

Other than store owners, there are several characters you can talk to in order to find Moppet, all in the Castle or Goblin City. Moppet will appear after the last item is acquired.

Nymblie (in front of the Coat Room): Moppet? Ah, yes. She can really fill out a dress, can’t she? Such a pity she isn’t Queen. *gasps* Unless, of course, you wish to make her queen! *squeals with delight* Why, such a wedding it would be! Have you seen my lovely collection of ballgowns? I keep a closet full of them in a room on the second floor of the castle.

Objective: Go to Teen Sarah’s room and collect a ball gown.

Hoggle (staring at the water fountain in the Goblin City Plaza): Y’know, it’s good yer lookin’ fer yer friend. *if you don’t have the Lipstick yet, he gives you the item*

Junk Lady (wandering around the Money Exchange): Lookin’ for something, yes? I got plenty of good presents right here! *fumbles around the pile of junk on her back* Lessee, ev’rything close to my heart I got right here. *fumbles around some more, becomes cheery* Why, what do we have here? *hands Toby a small red book* Ev’rything you’ve ever wanted is right there! Go on! Read it! Enjoy yourself! Everything you need to know is right there!

After you’ve obtained these three items, Moppet appears in an in-game scene.

Toby (happy): Moppet!

Moppet (sobbing, still without her mask): Toby! What am I?

Toby (puts an arm tenderly around her): Let’s go to Spittledrum’s office at the castle and get this all figured out, okay?

Moppet: Okay.

Cinema:

Spittledrum is tapping a pencil sadly in his office. Mizumi is sitting in a chair opposite the Goblin Mayor as Toby and Moppet enter. Toby sits next to Mizumi and Moppet stands sadly next to Spittledrum. Spittledrum tenderly pats Moppet on the hand and clears his throat.

Spittledrum: I’ll be blunt. Your Majesty, you are aware that you were brought here as a child and rescued by your sister.

Toby (uncomfortable): Yeah, I’ve heard.

Spittledrum: But you don’t know why you were chosen. You were bait to lure your sister here. He wanted to break her, to possess her … in his own strange way, it was like he loved her.

Toby: Sick!

Mizumi (thinking wistfully): How romantic! Why couldn’t he break my will?

Spittledrum: Your sister not only solved the Labyrinth but proved her will was as strong as his – and it nearly destroyed him.

Toby: All because he lost?

Mizumi (curtly): Have you learned nothing? Jareth invested his entire will into the Labyrinth. No one was ever meant to breach it and reach the center. By doing exactly that, Sarah left the kingdom defenseless. Without a purpose, the Pathmaker is dying.

Spittledrum: Jareth was powerless. However, he left for Moraine after Sarah departed and came back … *glances at Moppet* … with you.

Mizumi (stands, smiling): Yes, dear. Jareth wanted you – and I made you. You, girl, are an ablation, a living essence taken from another being like water evaporating off a lake. Allow me to demonstrate. *uncovers a brightly colored beetle from under a book and holds it in her right hand* Everything has conflicting aspects: anger, calm, love, hate, sadness, happiness …. *holds her left hand over the beetle and forms a bigger, duller beetle in her left hand from a trail of mist rising from the original* My greatest power, possessed by no other, is to manifest such aspects as ablations. *smiles at Moppet* You were taken from Sarah’s dreams, the very thing Jareth feared most. He locked you away in a room in the castle, desperate to bend you to his will, but he failed and dumped you in that junkpile outside Goblin City.

Spittledrum (sadly nodding): He forbade me from ever mentioning what happened when he found out I had brought you to my house. He gave me a peach, ordering me to give it to you in case you ever remembered your imprisonment. *pauses* Now you know why I was so upset when you attended the ball, Moppet.

Moppet (tenderly): Master --.

Toby (shoots up from his chair angrily): Stop calling him that! *to Mizumi* You stole a part of my sister! How could you?

Mizumi (shrugs): For love. I would do anything for Jareth. Of course – I can always undo the process. Once reabsorbed, Sarah’s forgotten dreams will be restored to her, but Moppet will cease to exist. Summon Sarah to me, Your Majesty, but first you must find the Pathmaker.

Toby (sighs)

Mizumi (lifts an index finger): Of course, there is one little thing I forgot to mention. *slams the gentle bug onto the desk with her hand*

Spittledrum: Ewww! Not my desk!

Mizumi (chuckles as the larger bug dies instantly): If the ablation dies, or the original ceases to be … so it is with the other.

Moppet (gasps, to Toby): There has to be another way!

Toby (glumly looks at Moppet): I’m … I’m sorry, Moppet. Sarah’s my sister. You’re just --.

Moppet (slaps him and runs out)

Mizumi (watches her run out the door): A tragedy for all involved. However, it provides the motivation you require to succeed in finding the Pathmaker … or everyone you love … will be lost forever.

Spittledrum (grumbling, to Toby): You could’ve been a little nicer, Your Majesty. *sighs* Still, prepare for the coronation tomorrow. The chef Skub has asked to see you in the kitchen.

End cinema.

TO BE CONTINUED ….

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Toby now enters the kitchen, where Skub is busy mixing ingredients in a big pot while a couple of goblins are waiting to be served. Approach Skub and in-game conversation takes place.

Skub (looks behind him): Hello, Prince Toby. Did you find Skub’s meal tasty?

Toby (nods): Yeah, it was great. Thanks, Skub.

Skub (sniffles): Skub is so happy! Skub has always been a failure.

Toby: Why do you say that?

Skub: Skub had a momma and a papa and three older brothers and all lived happily in a little house deep in a field for growing good food – until Momma was eaten during a banquet. The children were all expected to earn their keep and win a chance to inherit the house. Bargo was the second youngest. He made Papa carp scale overalls. Papa was very happy until the whigeons flew down to eat them. Greph was the second oldest, and he warbled a toad --.

Toby: Warbled a toad?

Skub (nods): Yes, Greph was the most skilled toad warbler of them all – and the whigeons flew away.

Toby: What about the eldest? I guess he won?

Skub: Not quite. Kraglyst just stood there, as calm as a mushroom. Papa thought he was trying to be funny and claimed he was the best comedian ever. Kraglyst got mad and left. Just then, a dragon invaded and Skub joined the army to defeat the dragon.

Toby: So, you won the house?

Skub (sighs sadly): Not quite. All of Skub’s brothers died fighting the dragon, but Skub was a coward and hid under a rock. General Candlewic found Skub and kicked him out of the army. Papa was so upset he banished Skub from the house forever. *sobs* Skub wasn’t strong enough. Skub wasn’t worthy enough. But Toby – Toby will make a fine Goblin King. Jareth would have trusted Toby to be stronger than Jareth.

Toby (nods): I promise I’ll give it my best, Skub. *pats Skub on the shoulder* Keep up the good work. You’re not a failure to me.

Skub (gasps as Toby leaves the kitchen)

Toby (spots Moulin staring at him in the hallway): Moulin? Can this wait? My coronation is coming up soon. I can’t be late for it.

Moulin: I’m coming with you. You should see if anything else needs your attention before the coronation.

Toby: I really don’t have time for this.

Moulin (scoffs): Make time, So-Called Heir.

Toby: How do I make time?

Moulin (chuckles, using her index finger to draw circles in the air quickly): Just turn the hands of a clock. I hear that’s how the previous king did it.

Toby (starts to walk past her): That just changes the clock – not time.

Moulin (stops him): Time is what you think it is. Tick, tock, tick, tock – was there time before the clock?

Toby (curtly): I have a job to do. The Goblins are depending on me. With Jareth gone, I’m the only one who has a chance of controlling the Labyrinth. Not to mention, I also have to save Sarah.

Moulin: Mother will never help you. She made a wager with Jareth and she means to take the Labyrinth for herself. Just – just trust me.

Toby (sighs): I have to trust Jareth knew what he was doing. I’ll be in the Throne Room.

Moulin (pleading): Don’t be a fool like Jareth! Make time to prepare yourself! The coronation can’t start without you!

When you regain control of Toby, a new objective appears on Spittledrum’s list: Make Time for Time.

While Toby could just go straight to the Throne Room and begin the coronation process, but if there are any quests or items that still need to be checked off, now is the time to do it. Also, there are several time-related clues throughout the Labyrinth, the Castle, and Goblin City. Knowing these will be useful after the coronation. Only return to the Throne Room when you are ready to be crowned king.

Dungeon: An Ace of Hearts card is left on the floor where the demons had been playing cards.

Hall of Prophecies: The clerk will mutter that he still thinks the Triple Sun prophecy was the best one.

Skub’s family’s house (the house you’ve seen in the northwest corner in the fields): Four gravestones will be behind the house.

Stone Maze, maze 6: A small goblin will be overturning stones in the ground, grumbling as he does so. He will call you a fragging aardvark when he is finished and leaves. He will have turned over seven stones, noted for a darker color.

King’s Office: A ghost of Jareth will appear, pacing the room, mocking Sarah by exclaiming, “Hardships unnumbered? There were twelve, at best!”

Return to the Throne Room when you are done. The coronation will be like a cinema, but it will involve pressing the correct commands to make the ceremony go smoothly. Make mistakes and the ceremony will become disastrous.

Interactive Cinema:

As soon as Toby enters the Throne Room, Spittledrum hurriedly pushes him out to the open stadium connecting the castle with the Goblin City. A crowd is roaring and cheering. Toby sits on a throne in the middle of a wooden stage. The crowd quiets down as Spittledrum addresses them.

Spittledrum: My fellow goblins, this is a most joyous day, for today is the day to celebrate the ascension of a new Goblin King. Toby Williams, adopted by our former king and made honorary goblin thirteen years ago, was cruelly stolen from us. We have watched from afar as the babe with the power stands to achieve total power! *coughs* Of course, that assumes he survives the Trial of Ascension --.

Toby (worried): Trial? Survive?

Spittledrum: But first, the Parade of Flags! Here they come, from every corner of the Labyrinth – which is a total of 47, 000 corners!

Toby (groans, facepalms)

A grand marching song will be played by a band behind the stage throne. The Parade will react to the tune, which is influenced by pressing buttons. For example, if the Square button is displayed, pressing it will keep the goblins from tripping. After about ten of these single-button commands, you will be faced with two-button commands, as the crowd is starting to snore from boredom. Getting it right will liven them back up and getting it wrong will make various groups of goblins either fall asleep, leave, play games, or moon the stage. After about ten of these commands, the parade stops and Spittledrum bows.

Spittledrum: Well, that’s the last!

Toby (rolls eyes): Whew.

Spittledrum: I know everyone is waiting for the deathly Trial of Ascension --.

Toby (panicking): What?

Spittledrum: -- which will take place after the Salute of a Thousand Horns!

One single goblin appears on stage with a ram’s horn.

Toby (facepalms): This will take all day.

The goblin blows his horn, summoning a giant hairy beast with lots of horns coming. A cartoony sign appears, labeling it the Thousand-Horned Horlok. The crowd salutes him.

Goblin soldiers, meanwhile, start screaming in the crowd as they chase a goblin wearing a raincoat. How close he ends up to the throne will depend on following a stream of button commands. The closer the goblin gets, the more panicked Toby becomes. On the last command, the goblin faces the audience, with the camera behind him, and opens the raincoat. The crowd gasps in horror, with some fainting and some averting their eyes, and some gawking and laughing.

Spittledrum (rushing up to the raincoated goblin): Goblins and Gruntled Kin – the Royal Jewels!

Toby (groans): Yup. They went there. *sighs*

Spittledrum (as the other goblin is led away): Alright, everyone – now is the time for the Trial of Ascension. This most sacred of rites will be performed by the holiest of all goblins – Pontifex Mynoskyrka!

A four-armed goblin in ornate religious robes and the shepherd’s crook Toby found earlier appears. He has a long beard that nearly reaches his toes. He towers over Toby.

Pontifex: Toby Williams of the Realm of Men – you would take the Crown of Goblin Kind. To be Goblin King is more than a title or occupation. It is to forfeit self at the expense of all. Please rise. *Toby stands up* As heir, the crown is yours to take, but first you must pass the test.

Toby: What happens if I fail?

Pontifex: Nothing. *pauses* Will you enter the Trial, Toby Williams?

Toby (nods): I will.

Pontifex (nods): Very well. *draws the top half of the infinity symbol on Toby’s forehead* The symbol enlarges as the scene fades to black.

Toby’s voice: Where am I?

Pontifex’s voice: No place … and every place.

A dot appears.

Toby’s voice: What is that?

Pontifex’s voice: The Labyrinth.

Toby’s voice: But it’s just a dot.

Pontifex’s voice: Is it? Or do you simply lack perspective? *the dot morphs into a line*

From here on out, you will be given choices. There is no wrong answer.

Toby’s voice: A wall?

Pontifex’s voice: Merely a line. But if you look at it from here …

Choices: A brick wall. A hedge. A fallen tree.

Pontifex’s voice: But where shall you go? There is no context.

Toby’s voice: I go outside the lines.

The brick wall becomes the Stone Maze. The hedge becomes the Hedge Maze. The fallen tree becomes a forest.

Pontifex’s voice: Ah, now there is a place, but there is no destination. *The two goblin door knockers appear on doors in front of a black background.* Which way do you want to go?

A set of three choices appear: Left door. Right door. Stairs.

Pontifex’s voice: Where do they lead?

Choices: Up. Down. Left. Right.

The camera follows a dark hallway that goes in the direction you chose.

Pontifex’s voice (as the screen goes black and a dot appears): Where does it end?

Toby’s voice: With a dot.

The camera shows Pontifex and Toby floating on either side of the floating dot.

Pontifex: Toby, we have come full circle. Your test is complete. Have you found the Pathmaker?

Toby (nods and reaches out to the dot, which is a glowing crystal ball): Yes. The Pathmaker … *the infinity symbol becomes whole* … is me.

A loud thundercrack is heard as Pontifex and Toby are back on the stage to an engrossed crowd.

Pontifex (turns to the crowd, calling out loudly): Goblins of Labyrinth, I hereby announce the reign of your new leader – Toby, the Goblin King!

The crowd roars with approval as Jareth’s amulet, which is like a straight-on view of a bird with wings downturned and an infinity symbol in the middle, magically appears hanging from Toby’s neck. The goblins in the crowd bow humbly.

Mizumi (stands in the crowd, laughing): Oh, Jareth! You knew this would happen, didn’t you? Go ahead. Keep your heart. But – a deal’s a deal. *walks on the backs of the goblins toward the stage, her voice determined and melodramatic* Goblin King of Labyrinth, from the Waters of the West I come, through twisting stone and trials of fire – to claim the kingdom I was promised! *summons a trail of mist from Toby’s amulet, which becomes a chain that wraps around his neck and ends in her hands*

Spittledrum (angrily): Stand down, Witch! The forces of Moraine will never make it through the Labyrinth!

Mizumi (chuckling): Through? Why would the Army of Moraine come through the Labyrinth – when I can summon them from above? *mist starts to surround her as she closes her eyes, chanting* Nunatak kame polyna. The suncup fills and oceans squall. Upturn the chalice, let water fall! *thunder cracks and lightning fills the sky as a torrential downpour ensues* Sastruga ogive tarn, by Serac’s crack and Bergshrugnd’s cries, give form to chaos, my Kulhaups rise! *the water lions form out of the water hitting the ground and attack the goblins*

Spittledrum (watches in horror as Mizumi absorbs Pontifex and places his essence into a vial): This will not stand, World-crasher! *Candlewic appears behind him* Candlewic! Show this witch what we’re made of!

Candlewic (nods and thrusts a knife into Spittledrum’s back)

Spittledrum (falling to the ground, weakly): I’m – I’m leaking.

Candlewic (bows before Mizumi)

Mizumi (jerks Toby toward her): I will break the heart of this world, just as Jareth broke mine. *screams* Where is the Pathmaker?

Toby (glares at her)

Mizumi (grunts disapproval): I don’t know how you resist, Toy King, but your will cannot oppose mine for long. Candlewic, take the boy some place where he won’t cause any mischief.

Candlewic (smiles): I know just the place.

The scene transitions to Candlewic in the Stone Maze, throwing Toby into the hole leading to the oubliette.

End cinema.

Author’s Note: This is how I am ending Volume 3’s content. There are some scenes with Moulin that are important, but I’m saving them for the next and last act of Toby’s walkthrough. We’re almost done.