Sam the Eagle as Samuel Arrow action Figure

GWGumby

Reaction score
Hey guys. I don't have the picture available to me -- maybe I'll scan it and post it later -- but the dust jacket on the cover of "The Muppet Show" book has a full-bodied Sam the Eagle on it. He's a little overlapped by other Muppets, but you can definitely see his deceptively short yellow claw feet in very similar proportion to the action figure.

Gonzo

Reaction score
*sniffle*

MY Muppet Show book doesn't even HAVE a dust jacket!!!!

Quinnnnnnnn

GWGumby

Reaction score
Actually, mine didn't either. But then when I tracked down one for Ken, it had one. So I stole it before sending it to him.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to the Muppet Show Book Sam picture: www.jamesvier.com/etc/samleg.jpg

I too was shocked when I saw his feen in Muppet Treasure Island, but I think that was mainly do to the Schleich figure - and why should we really go by that. Many colors (not to mention the likenesses) were off on those.

It seems that the MTI choice was not a hasty afterthought but something that was grounded in Muppet history.

I admit to seeing one representation of a blue footed Sam in a Muppet Treasure Island storybook! Now that's a contradiction, but the entire illustration was way off! I think Palisades made the right choice.

Luke

Reaction score
Thanks for putting that up Jamie - the mystery continues though *Cue twinkly music* - in that picture Sam has chicken legs !!!! :big_grin:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hey, who has chicken legs? Why I oughtta....:wink:

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Palisades' Gonzo nose shouldn't be all blue from what they have reported. Do you actually have it or are you speaking of this from second hand knowlege?
If only... :frown:

No - I am going off photos from palisades website, but mostly the review here:

Photo of Gonzo's Nose Here

You're right there is a little color there, but it's still very blue. Gonzo's been my favorite since day one, so I'm a bit used to in too..

- Derek

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
It seems that the MTI choice was not a hasty afterthought but something that was grounded in Muppet history.
Thanks for postting that Jamie! I was thinking that maybe in Jim Henson's eyes Sams feet were bule (on the muppet show)
i never really thought sam's feet were bule thought, because i never saw any rare product or photo of sam untill MTI. i think sam would look funny in bule legs, i mean he needs a little color in him other then just blue.

but i do think in that drawing that that's the right legth in legs that the sam fig should have, in that drawing they are defanitly longer then the Sam fig has. i think it cuts of at that little leg bubble on the drawing. just a tad longer and it would fix it. but the sculpt is amazing anyways.

i think it's a fair debate thought, i mean Ken said that the Sam fig was made from the instructions Henson gave them, but then why did we all think scooters glasses were too long in the front if it was made perfect, not trying to be jerky, just trying to discus a fair debate.

Zack)Rowlf the, Rowlf's got the short stubby legs,Dog.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Derek

Thanx for clearing that up. Just wanted to make sure. I have had the same opinion as you, but have been assured that there is more gradation in Gonzo's nose than what's in most of the pictures.

The image you suppled is rather hot and overexposed around the nose so it's hard to tell, but I definitely see pink accents - especially around the lip area. And from other pictures, Gonzo's beak looks like it is sponged-over with another color giving is some of the puppet's foam illusion. It doesn't appear to be the typical solid blue color like most representations, but still more blue than the puppet.

Can anyone who has the figure shed some light on this for us? Warrick? What color process does Gonzo's nose have?

GWGumby

Reaction score
Personally, while I've accepted Palisades' version of Sam to be correct, my expectation were that he would have blue legs down to about the ankle similar to an actual eagle's legs:
http://www.usflag.org/art/eagle.swoop.gif
But we all know how accurately Muppets resemble their animal counterparts. I still don't know what that thing around Kermit's neck is.

Jamie - thanks for posting that picture for me.