Save the Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
You're right GelflingWaldo when you say that the performers should be able to handle this load of work.

But there is a difference. Back then Jim Henson owned all those productions (except Sesame) and his company was able to schedule the Muppeteers accordingly.

But now we have three companies to deal with:
MHC (Disney)
The Jim Henson Company
Sesame Workshop

And the odds of three different movie/TV production companies agreeing on a shooting schedule for the same performers would be slim. And what if there were production delays that would interfere with commitments the Muppeteer might have with another production company? Which contract would he honor and not bring a production to a halt. That's the tough part for the Muppeteers.

Before, Henson and Sesame Workshop always worked out a schedule for these things, but now you have to throw MHC into the mix as well.

Picture if you will Fraggle Rock filming in Canada
Dark Crystal filming in Europe or Austrailia
Sesame taping in New York
and MHC productions in Los Angeles or Florida.

But if all three companies cooperated, it could be done, but not likely.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
OverUnderAround said:
Picture if you will Fraggle Rock filming in Canada
Dark Crystal filming in Europe or Austrailia
Sesame taping in New York
and MHC productions in Los Angeles or Florida.
If Jude Law, Jennifer Garner, Robert DeNerio, Orlando Bloom, Will Farrell, Julia Roberts and other actors can work on multiple projects in a year, in multiple cities all around the world, and with different production companies - why can't Steve Whitmire, Dave Goelz, Eric Jacobson, and the others? Sure the Muppeteers will no longer be just hanging around on little pegs, ready for each company to use whenever they wanted (but aside from the “Disney Channel All-Star” kids, what company has an actor all to themselves?)

If New Line Cinemas wanted to make “Austin Powers 4”, they would coordinate with Mike Myers and his other projects and shooting schedules, not just hire a Mike Myers impersonator – If Disney wants to make a Muppet movie with Kermit (Steve) they should coordinate with Kermit (Steve) and his other project and shooting schedules, not just hire a Kermit (Steve) impersonator. If you want a quality prodution, get the quality people.

It may take some planning and coordination when setting up shooting schedules and the contracts with the performers (which takes place anyway when setting up a production). But if they want quality productions and quality character they should be willing to work out the schedules and contracts to accommodate the performers. It is common that you’ll see an actor shoot a film in New Zealand, a film in LA, and a TV show in New York all in one year (and all with different companies).

It can be done. It is done all the time.

Luke

Reaction score
OverUnderAround said:
But now we have three companies to deal with:
MHC (Disney)
The Jim Henson Company
Sesame Workshop

And the odds of three different movie/TV production companies agreeing on a shooting schedule for the same performers would be slim. And what if there were production delays that would interfere with commitments the Muppeteer might have with another production company? Which contract would he honor and not bring a production to a halt. That's the tough part for the Muppeteers.
There is not really much difference seeing as the Henson Company would have had Muppet projects on the go anyway, regardless of the sale to Disney. All the Muppeteers are hired from the same talent pool, they always have been. There have been delays in the past and conflicts in scheduling and there have always been provisions for it ... either another Muppeteer steps in or Henson have a group of trained freelancers on standby. Then the original Muppeteer loops the proper character voice in later. If it was forseen that they would need more Muppeteers in the future because of an increase in production then Henson would have probably stepped up the hiring and training of new puppeteers that could be used but there wasn't any increase, and from what is actually happening, there has yet to be one. I don't think there is a single actual greenlighted Muppet project yet, and even Fraggle Rock at Henson is just in planning - if they can't get a deal for it maybe it won't happen.

Anyway, seeing as they (MHC) are saying publicly that the new talent is just for low key appearances they aren't actually using scheduling and new projects as an excuse (yet). This is more a financial thing, they want to put the Muppets into smaller, low budget, low key projects but they don't want to have to pay Henson's rates for Dave Goelz, Steve Whitmire etc. Dave and Steve were available for Movies.com but they were not used. Even if they had of been busy they could have still looped the voices in edit later.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Luke said:
and even Fraggle Rock at Henson is just in planning - if they can't get a deal for it maybe it won't happen.
I hope it does go into production. It would be great.

Just learned a little about the kind of rock formations we have seen on Fraggle Rock.

stalactite- are the tapering rock formations that hang from the ceiling.

stalagmite- are the tapering rock formations that extend from the ground going upwards.

Cool stuff from nature.

Luke

Reaction score
OverUnderAround said:
I hope it does go into production. It would be great.
Not to get too off topic but i'm mixed on the idea of a Fraggle Movie. I would love to see it happen if they can get it shown someplace appropriate and make it close to the original with as many of the original cast as possible - y'know remain true to the show. If it's just an excuse for Henson to do a puppet project after they've sold the Muppets and it's just going to be a cheesy direct to video with different Muppeteers, CGI and more of a new outlook to the story than an extension of the old one then i think i'd rather pass and remember it like how it was before.

MGov

Reaction score
And while we're at it, let's get a petition going to force Frank Oz back to the Muppets!

And let's make Sean Connery James Bond again!

I think that, if the current crew of Muppeteers thought they were in danger of losing their jobs, if they thought they were going to be fired in favor of cheaper, younger talent, and that the current crew didn't want that to happen, given the passionate devotion of many, many Muppet fans, the crew would have made their feelings known by now.

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
I think that, if the current crew of Muppeteers thought they were in danger of losing their jobs...the crew would have made their feelings known by now.
That's a mighty big assumption, MGov. I think Disney holds all the cards in this, and if I were a Muppeteer in danger of losing my job, I'd keep my mouth shut and not do or say anything that might get me fired.

And while I was doing that, I'd hope that the passionately devoted Muppet fans you mentioned would be protesting to Disney anyway. Like with some kind of mail campaign, say, and maybe a petition.

Kynan
savethemuppets.com

BEAR

Reaction score
This is why it is nice to know that there is a group of principal Muppeteers that work on Sesame Street ONLY, making it not so terrible if those performers also working with the Muppets and Disney have limitted time. These companies aren't stupid and I am sure they arrange it that way. This also makes Jerry Nelson's semi retirement seem not so bad.

Sesame Street ONLY:
Carroll Spinney
Martin Robinson
Fran Brill
Jerry Nelson
Joey Mazzarino
David Rudman
Carmen Osbahr
Kevin Clash (he does some Muppet stuff, but spends about 95% with Sesame)

Double Duty (Sesame and Muppets):
Steve Whitmire
Eric Jacobson

Muppets ONLY:
Dave Goelz
Bill Baretta
Brian Henson

I mean, in a way this is not much different than it's always been when Jim Henson was alive. It is now Steve Whitmire and Eric Jacobson as the ones having to split their time the exact same way Jim and Frank Oz did, and they play the same characters. One difference (which actually may work in everyone's favor) is that Steve doesn't perform as many characters as Jim did. Steve took over for Ernie and Kermit to add to a very small repertoire of characters to begin with (basically Rizzo and Bean). One could say that Kermit is Steve's biggest priority. If there is a Muppet project going on there has to be a Kermit, and where there is a Kermit, there is Steve Whitmire. Steve only plays one character on Sesame Street and that is Ernie. Those scenes can be shot in one or 2 days because Ernie is only really in inserts and Journey to Ernie. If anyone is gonna have a tough time balancing a schedule, I would think it would be Eric Jacobson. Like Frank Oz was, it seems like he is responsible for the most amount of characters to perform and all pretty equally divided between the two groups.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Kynan Barker said:
...and if I were a Muppeteer in danger of losing my job, I'd keep my mouth shut and not do or say anything that might get me fired.
There's also a danger in being to passive.

If the Muppeteers truly felt that their jobs were at risk...then they themselves have to take action. (Not us fans.) If they felt their jobs were at risk, have all of them get together (there's strength in numbers) and have a press conference and embarrass Disney publicly. The message would be broadcast around the world and all the fans would unite behind them.

Yet Kynan, we haven't heard this complaint from anyone but you as the source. The Muppeteers have to speak up for themselves and take a stand publicly for this topic to be believed and taken seriously.

Depending on the fan-base to save them while they keep their mouth shut is not logical. Heck it's almost insulting to fight for someone else's cause when they do nothing publicly about it themselves!

I think it was Winston Churchill who is quoted as saying; "Bad things happen when good people do nothing." Well these good Muppeteers better stand up and start talking publicly for this issue to be taken seriously.

But we don't hear the Muppeteers complaining at all.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
MGov said:
And while we're at it, let's get a petition going to force Frank Oz back to the Muppets!

And let's make Sean Connery James Bond again!

I think that, if the current crew of Muppeteers thought they were in danger of losing their jobs, if they thought they were going to be fired in favor of cheaper, younger talent, and that the current crew didn't want that to happen, given the passionate devotion of many, many Muppet fans, the crew would have made their feelings known by now.
stupid idea. no one's forcing him to make movies he's decided himself to do that and I think we should respect that and cut out such foolishness.

Status
Not open for further replies.