1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Scooter: who's who

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Mr.Penguin, May 7, 2003.

1. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

well for the love of Bill!:flirt: he's taken over another thread

Sarah

Bill: a lot
    World: not so many

2. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Sarah,

Your post reminded me of the Benji theme song.

3. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

uhh I'm honored

Sarah

I think

4. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

I'm coming in late to this thread and don't feel like reading 3 pages worth of posts, but I'd just like to say I thought Brian captured Scooter magically in VMX and I hope he's able to continue with the character. Same goes for Janice. ;) :flirt:

5. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Janice too? I didn't think he did a good job with her at all. I think Matt should come in to do Janice, or someone who can do a better Janice.

6. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think Brian is the way to go with Scooter. He captures the voice, the nuances and, most importantly, the heart of Scooter.

Bill's Rowlf gets a B+ from me. It's almost an A, but the laugh is what gives him away. It's the same laugh Bill uses for all of his characters. Should be easy enough to fix. Sure, Rowlf is a bit more playful these days, but I don't mind that. To me, it's just like how Steve's Kermit is a little more "in your face" than Jim's version. I'd say give Teeth to Bill too it he needs a new performer. I want the band back together and Bill is an amazing puppeteer. Probably my favorite these days.

When I first heard Steve's Kermit on the Remembering Jim Henson special, I cried. Partly because it was good to hear him again and because it wasn't quite right. It was a pre-pubescent Kermit. Steve grew into the role rather fast and I was soon singing his praises. Some of my non-fan friends aren't totally sold, but I've also played classic clips that they have mistaken for Steve that were in fact Jim Henson performances.

Just the ol' frogboy's take on the situation. All of the replacement voices get high marks from me. ;)

7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Wonder what Byron thinks of the new Janice voice?

I felt that there was some kind of something about Scooter's voice that wasn't there yet. Seemed much higher pitched than Richard's Scooter-voice.

Brian also did the Muppet Newsman with perfect skill by the tone, the personality, the movement, the way the voice was used, but just not in the right pitch, it was higher pitched. If he'd bring his voice down just a bit, he'd be dead-on I think!!

What I'm VERY interested in seeing, after MF and the Newsman, is to see Brian get into some of his dad's characters more, just deepen his voice some. Wouldn't it be great to see Guy Smiley again? Link? Some others I can't think of because I'm still sleepy...

8. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I was thinking the same thing about his voice, Foz. It's too high-pitched, and Richard's voice fluctuated when he said specific things. It was almost a completely different voice when he was talking about "job offers" in TMTM than when he first introduced himself to Kermit on TMS.

I thought his Janice was much better than his Scooter. I think his Janice is just about perfect.

9. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Er, Foz. Link was done really well by Steve at the end of Kermit's Swamp Years.

10. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

Er, Beau. Where was Link in Kermit's Swamp Years?

11. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

The character wasn't in it, but Steve started doing Kermit in a stuck-up Link voice during the blooper reel on the DVD.

12. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

That's right, sorry to confuse you. I meant that bit with Kermit speaking in a Linky voice.

13. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

Oh, I know what you mean. It's not a Link voice though, just similar. Steve did do him in Muppet Race Mania though.

14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I could actually do a spot on impersonation of Link Hogthrob.

I wish I had this game or thios system, because no one seems to have sound files for it yet!

15. Fozzie Bear

I've not seen the DVD bloopers yet, so he likely DOES do a good one of Link.

16. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Oh, man! So could I! He's such a great character for impersonating.

17. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Steve sounds like he could do a great Link. His Kermit is in that Linky range.

About Brian's Scooter, it's hard to make your voice lower or higer the way it needs to be done. It's not a matter of just going up and down the scale. It's a certain tone or pitch or frequency of the sound, one of those. With lots of practice I'm sure it can be done. His Janice didn't sound right at all to me though. Maybe it was the accent though.

Also, I'm sure Brian could do a News man like voice, but again a bit higher. The reason for this is, Jim and Brian soud a like, but Jim is pitched a bit lower. I'm sure Brian could do many of his father's characters, but most were taken over already, and he may not feel comfortable doing them.

Bill should not take over Dr. Teeth. John did a great Dr. Teeth, and he could probably do a much better Rowlf as well. This would leave Bill to do the other characters that are his own.

Steve's Kermit has fooled me for a few seconds every now and then, but I usually can tell the difference, but once you stop trying to hear the difference, it goes away. Today I saw the season opener of Sesame Street and watched the new Journey to Ernie and heard what Steve sounds like lately. His Ernie is as good as it gets. It's gotten a little deeper and more Jim like I think. Therefore, I assume his Kermit now sounds more like Jim's now.

And one one last note that everyone is tired of by now, but I'll push it untill it happens. Steve should take over Statler. :D

18. Fozzie Bear

As a puppeteer, you HAVE to have that range, and you HAVE to be able to go up and down the scale because of the different characters you'll be performing. If he maintains what he was doing before in VMX, but makes it deeper, it'll be good.

He did the Newsman at MuppetFest and everything sounded okay, just needed to be deeper.

I don't hear anything alike in Jim and Brian's speech, accent, or voices; but, you said it right that Jim's voice was deeper, hence my request that he go deeper on Scooter...strange as that may sound...;)

19. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Well, I'm not a puppetter so I won't coment further. :D

20. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Yeah, that's the funny thing about Brian. Everyone expected he'd sound just like his father. But in fact, he seems to take after the Nebel side of the family. I bet he sounds just like Jane's father at that age.

Brian flat-out said in a TV Guide interview that he didn't want to do Kermit because it just seemed too weird. I would guess that applied to the other characters as well, but after so many others had taken up Jim's reins, I guess Brian decided to give it a shot with the Newsman. I loved the performance and was hoping to see him again in VMMCM. Hopefully in future projects, still played by Brian.

Bill's Rowlf was dead-on at TMS Live; it was only in the Weezer video that he sounded slightly off and that, as someone suggested, was probably because he was trying to improvize dialogue at the same time. Also, they probably wouldn't do hardly any retakes for a quickie special like that. I'd like to see another scripted, well-rehearsed return for Bill's Rowlf. And from what little we've heard of John Kennedy's Dr. Teeth, I'd like him to keep that character. (John also does a decent Kermit, BTW. At MF, when Steve had Young Kermit on his arm, they gave older Kermit to John for a side-by-side comparison, and John improvised a few lines as Kermit. Not that he should take over the character, but it was fun to hear.)

If Steve does such a great Link, why aren't they using him more? His presence is sorely missed. Yet they even went out of their way to introduce an "imitation" Link character for Bay of Pigswatch, so that no one would have to do the voice. (Not "imitation" as in voice, but as in "same basic character, different name.")