1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

See?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by D'Snowth, Sep 6, 2009.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with talking about religion here if it's respectful (D'Snowth is right, most other forums are quite cruel and intolerant). And I also don't mind talking about homosexuality, again in a respectful manner. Don't think we should have to choose.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna come out and say it. The reason why there are so many "atheists" is because of the hateful, UnChristian (not to mention UnMuslim and UnJewish) like behavior of people who claim to speak for it. All religions, and lacks there of can be respected and can co-exist with one or another. Finding out what's what is part of the human experience. Too much hate and intolerance under the guise of religion has caused intolerance in the guise of not having one. There's nothing wrong with religion or lack thereof (unless it's a cult that preaches pretty scary stuff), it's the crap coming out of both sides that causes all these problems.

You know... like how the Religious Right movement came out of people being annoyed by Hippies. One breeds the other.
  3. heralde

Like the film I referenced earlier, the way I see extreme religion and extreme atheism is "Intolerance vs. Intolerence." No one group has the monopoly on intolerance. Both are very capable of it. People are people, faults and all.
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

An honest question

This is an honest question. If Muppet Central can have fan fics where characters can profess their Christian conversion in detail, are we also able to write a fan fic about Scooter or some other character coming out to the Muppet gang? Of course, I mean in such a way that a Kermit and Piggy or Red and Gobo love story can be written without any inappropriate descriptions.
  5. heralde

::shrugs:: I have no problem with either one.

As long as the person knows how to write. ;)
  6. Luke

Luke Active Member

I'm sure Bert made a most outstanding Joseph ... i bet the no room at the Inn thing must have irked him somewhat. I must watch that.
  7. Drtooth

They could write one where Beaker gets his revenge and savagely beat up Bunsen for all I care. They're all welcome... just none of the... cough cough... fanfics I see everywhere else with adult situations. Man, I'm gettin' tired of those. Thank Frog we don't have that sorta thing here.
  8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Actually, Bert pretty much had a sneezing fit throughout, as the pageant took place entirely in the manger, and as it turns out, Bert is allergic to hay.
  9. Luke

Luke Active Member

*THUD* Is that the sound of moderators fainting? :insatiable:

LOL!
  10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

That's the true litmus test of balance at Muppet Central and if someone wanted to write such a story I'd support them. In fact, part of me would write one if I had the time and love of writing that others do.

I'm sure some members would make a case that sort of inclusion would be proselytizing, but to me it's a personal admission rather than an advertisement. It doesn't have the evangelistic element that religious fan fics have. It’s not, “I’m gay, it’s great and you should be too” as it is with a religious belief. It’s about honesty and inclusion. That’s an often made mistake.
  11. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Well, it took me by surprise when WhiteRabbit and AnimatedC9000 had their Zoot&Lips thing going on in the Dorms (which was then repeated somewhat in Coming of the Roads). However, considering they aren't the most three-dimensional of characters, I welcomed anything that would give them some depth.

The closest I ever came in my fics, I think, was having Bobby Vegan mistakenly assume an adult Skeeter was actually Scooter in drag. In my view, VMX was "what the Muppets would clearly be without Kermit to distract them". So, Scooter coming out after that little dance in the alt-universe wouldn't really surprise me all that much. Of course, if we're talking non-main Muppets, And If That Diamond Ring Turns Brass IS about Bobby and Samson from Tinseltown. There are cameos from others, but it's basically all about them and how distraught they were to be told they couldn't be a family legally anymore. Foster ends up having to move back in with his biological mother and resents the whole thing. I wrote it in response to the Prop 8 thing in California and was rather disappointed in the outcome. So, while the ending of the fic is happy, it's also rather bittersweet. Sorry to plug that one so much, but I can't help it. :D
  12. Luke

Luke Active Member

Very well said .... and there are precedents for gay characters in the Henson/Disney universe .. Howard Tubman or Tinseltown. Yes they are very stereotypical camping it up but i think quite touching nonetheless.
  13. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

i understand. i get that you needed to make known that there is a member who is not behaving. i just read through three pages of comments. three pages? and i checked yesterday. i understand that the thread closure is a big problem, but now it's becoming more than it ever should've been.
  14. Drtooth

To be honest, the Robot Chicken one was closed as a preemptive strike after 2 Fraggle Rock skit threads were closed. I understand what the Mods were thinking... but then again, the guy who was causing most of the problem on both threads was banned a while ago.

The AGT, well... that one got really really heated. And frankly, some even louder and angrier things were said after it was re-opened, but now everything seems to have settled down.
  15. heralde

Honestly I don't think it was one person who caused that problem. The problem was that overall no one was able to just say "agree to disagree." Both sides of the argument just kept pushing. In the end, no one was right. That's just my opinion. ;)
  16. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

so there was a reason for the closing of most of the threads? then why does this thread exist?
  17. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Because I felt the need to go a little crazy to keep my sanity...

But I'm still shocked this thread hasn't been closed yet, but it seems like we're all delivering some senisble insights on various different issues.
  18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

It will be closed and deleted the minute we forget about it. :o
  19. heralde

So if a thread closes, and no one's there to see it, did it really close? :confused: :halo:
  20. Luke

Luke Active Member

Does there need to be a reason? Its a forum, people are commenting. Nobody has piledriven anyone, yet ...

:halo: