Sesame Street Season 38 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabauckham

Reaction score
Yeah, man, if you look at the traditional English diet, it's largely cream, CREAM, CREAM! That'll definitely plumpen you up. :zany:

UFOfirefly

Reaction score
No Kidding! That would be sick and probably really mess up the amount of viewers they would get. It would be not have much of what we would consider Sesame Street! One Elmo's world skit is quite enough!

DTF

Reaction score
First, great pun - that "unnecessary violins" pun sounded like it could come straight out of The Muppet Show :smile:

Anyway, I popped in becasue I was curious abuot talk of this coming season, how it was going to be. And, I have a slightly different take over the way SS is doing the healthy habits thing. I think it's kind of good for a different - and maybe convoulted- reason.

Maybe I'm just too literal - but I don't see the "healthy habits" thing as saying "lose weight," at least on SS. i see it as saying, "Stay fit so you don't gain weight." They seem to be saying if you exercise and stay fit, you won't have problems.

Now, when the young kids of America get a little older, hopefully - *hopefully* - I'm thinking this will mean they won't worry about dieting. I don't think SS ever used the word "fat," unlike many other places.

What this means is, hopefully there will be fewer girls who tell themselves they're overweight to the piont where some wind up getting anorexia or bulemia, worried about something that really isn't the huge problem some say it is. (And, for girls with such disorders, usually they're skinny already, and it becomes an obsession.)

Instead, hopefully these kids will think back to their younger days, and it will be ingrained in them, "Hey, I don't have to go on a diet; I'll just get out and exercise more and I'll be okay."

I don't know, as I say, maybe it's just wishful thinking. But, I really have to wonder if someof our pediatricians are even thinking; there's enough pressure on girls from all these models and everything to look thin as it is.

Or, maybe I'm just overprotective; maybe the talk of obesity as a problem doesn't markedly increase the tendency of girls to get such eating disorders. But, even if it doesn't, something has to be done to combat this problem. And, maybe having the message ingrained from toddlerhood that "dieting isnt' the answer, moving around and exercising and playing is the answer" could help some avoid the problem.

wiley207

Reaction score
I can see how Sesame Street needs to focus more on other ways to stay healthy than sensible eating.

Also, they should go back to using the long version of the theme the show is famous for. While the current opening has a good rendition of the theme music (similar to the 1998 theme), the only problem is that it's too darn short! If they made a slightly-extended version of the opening sequence (with the "Come and play, everything's A-OK...") that could work. But I like the Super Grover thing at the end of the opening, that's a good touch.

Another thing I noticed is that before the credits run during the final Trash Gordon scene, they play the final section of the original 1969 closing theme (the harmonica version)! But I think they should make a NEW credits sequence using the old harmonica closing theme.

They should also bring back the "groovy" funding credits theme they've been using from 1972 to 1992.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Also, they should go back to using the long version of the theme the show is famous for. While the current opening has a good rendition of the theme music (similar to the 1998 theme), the only problem is that it's too darn short! If they made a slightly-extended version of the opening sequence (with the "Come and play, everything's A-OK...") that could work. But I like the Super Grover thing at the end of the opening, that's a good touch.
Actually, they do use such a version; the extra is just cut out when they rebroadcast episodes from previous seasons (slightly longer funding credits this year?)

ISNorden

Reaction score
I've never seen Chuck E. Cheese or Quaker in Sesame Street's funding credits for the past three seasons, even though they sponsor other PBS Kids programs. The only ones that I've heard mentioned are Beaches, New Balance, Earth's Best, McDonald's, everydaykidz.com (an asthma site run by a drug company), and Pampers (who stopped funding Sesame Street in Season 37).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think obesity is the only health problem they're concerned with right now since apparently America is the world's "fattest country"... but hey, England's got some fatso's themselves.

Plus it's the most marketable... ever notice that the only ones complaining about fat people are thin people? I can get on to a whole thing about the media distracting us with a non-issue like that, but I don't wanna.

Now, when the young kids of America get a little older, hopefully - *hopefully* - I'm thinking this will mean they won't worry about dieting. I don't think SS ever used the word "fat," unlike many other places.
Fat.... Cat.... Sat..... Mat...

See the fat cat sat on a mat ...etc...

I don't feel like putting the whole skit up here. I just said that to be snarky... :embarrassed: Sorry bout that.

I really wish they'd use nutrition as a once and a whiole theme and talk about other things for at least one season. I really still think this is P.R. control for having McD's as a sponcer.

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
I work in Chuck E. Cheese but the company is only WLRN.

Status
Not open for further replies.