1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Sesame Street Season 38 Preview

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

They were GOING to do that last year as well.
  2. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Let's hope the producers keep their word (no pun intended) this time. Literacy and school readiness used to be the dominant goals of Sesame Street; it's been a long time since the Workshop did more than an occasional "school" episode and the letter of the day. Adding a word of the day--especially one that isn't stereotypical preschool vocabulary--was an excellent idea; children ought to know that the English language goes beyond simple one-syllable words.

I don't expect the nutrition/health segments to disappear entirely; Sesame Street taught about healthy habits even during the "Old School" years. Still, diet and exercise were never meant to be primary lesson themes on the show. Cutting those topics back to a reasonable level won't turn children into junk food addicts or couch potatoes, especially not if they're learning good habits from their friends and family. Good health includes mental fitness as well as the physical kind, so Sesame Street needs more focus on exercising the brain--not just the muscles.
  3. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

What happened?
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

What we've been saying: they're too busy concentrating on "healthy habits for life".
  5. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Oh.:o
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

And in the wrong ways too. I liked the Sesame Dinner theatre, but the didn't explore it enough. There was a lot of potential, and I think they squandered it. Especially the Breakfast Club segment which was a huge disappointment and had NOTHING to do with the movie, which is what I was hoping. And the non-muppet health segments were TERRIBLE! And don't forget the horrors of Get up it's time to play.
  7. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

With the shows new focus on literacy, I wonder if Genius Products will release Getting Ready to Read on DVD. Or would Genius Products be more liekly to make a similarly-titled volume, Ready to Read?

It would be great if some old Two-Headed Monster segments were to be shown this season. Maybe some new Two-Headed Monster sketches can be produced as well.
  8. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Great thinking, since the Two-Headed Monster did sound out words pretty often. One more classic that would fit the new theme perfectly: In the 80s and 90s, some of the human cast did a show-tune parody about reading material. Two variants existed (one with books/newspapers/magazines, the other with recipes/labels/a third item I can't recall).
  9. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

It would be good if they focused on literacy again, the country still has a problem with that, unfortunately. Personally I don't mind them addressing eating healthy, it is another serious problem we have. I'm not that familiar with the ways they've been doing it, maybe they could be improved. But the idea is right.

Of course, TV can't make people read or eat healthy, all it can (and should) do is set a good example.
  10. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I agree: Dinner Theatre had its funny moments, but the segments took too long and were sometimes a bit hard to believe. (A kid knowing so much about the nutritional content of peas and broccoli...or praising zucchini more extravagantly than most kids would their favorite snack food? Good grief!) It's also a shame that "Man of La Muncha" and "Breakfast Club" had so little to do with the shows that inspired them.

As for the "Time to Play" segments, both the physical and the mental games didn't offer much content. The dances started looking alike after a few episodes, the pattern tests looked too easy even for a kindergarten kid, and the "What is it?" puzzles were misleadingly hard. Let's hope the Workshop can improve on that soon!
  11. Drtooth

I got to admit, Man of LaMuncha was alright, and actually had the "Dream the Impossible Dream" parody. Breakfast club could have at LEAST had the song parody of "Don't you forget about me." I liked Dinner Theater, and the idea of it being theater about Dinner... but how about they have different puppets. I think they were going for a small play house with the same actors type deal. Plus, it would be great if some of them took place outside of a dinner table.

I think the main objective was to further the idea of eating together with family.

Anyway, I really hope they just have better segments this season. The newer parody things they had this year (especially Law and Order) were really well done... the number and letter segments were weak.
  12. minor muppetz

Besides rerunning old Two-Headed Monster sketches or producing new ones with them sounding out words, it would be great if Sesame Street reran those animated segments where a man tries to read a word, which has it's letters rearranged.

I guess it would be too much to wish for this season to include the sketch where Lefty attempted to sell Ernie a stop sign, or The Word is No.
  13. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

They could show where that pencil was dancing to some funky music and trying to spell and sound out the word dance. And then he does the tap number at the end.
  14. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Yes, that is true, Ed. I was the one who said the info about SS taping one month out of the year. They told me that when I visitted the Kaufman Astoria Studios a couple months ago. However, maybe they film other bits and pieces elsewhere. That is just where the main set is. So who knows. I am just looking forward to what the new season brings and what our Sesame Street family will be up to.
  15. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

Ever since the first episode in 1969, celebrities have been an integral part of the show. This season will be no exception as several big name celebs have already recorded new inserts for inclusion in season 38. Anderson Cooper will demonstrate Grouch journalism with the help of Oscar and Grouch reporters Dan Rathernot and Walter Cranky. James Blunt will sing a about triangles to Telly with a variant on his song "You're Beautiful". And Elmo will get a lesson in football from the New York Jets (Coach Eric Mangini and players Ben Graham, Laveranues Coles and Chad Pennington).

Also, from what I've heard on some blog, there will be one segment (celebrity) that will show the INSIDE of Oscar's can. Unless they could be making it up, I don't know.
  16. minor muppetz

I hope that Atlantic Records doesn't ever prevent Sesame Workshop from including it's "You're Beautiful" parody on any DVD releases, like Atlantic did to "Weird Al" Yankovic's parody, which can only be downloaded thanks to Atlantic.
  17. Drtooth

I think James Blunt himself allowed him to parody it, and gave his blessing to have it available for download. I guess this is the same case here.
  18. minor muppetz

Yes, he allowed for the parody to be written, but then Atlantic Records, who he is under contract with, refused to allow for the parody to be released on an album. I read somewhere that it's because Atlantic Records fears that he will be seen as a one-hit wonder if Weird Al parodies one of his songs so early in his career (maybe that has changed by now).
  19. happygril

happygril New Member

just to say hi

:p hi guys it is happygril
  20. Drtooth

You mean he isn't already? :boo: :sleep: Dwoah ho ho ho!

I guess Atlantic is allowing it, since he's singing it himself on Sesame Street, which is a very high profile show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.