So you want to audition for the Muppets?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
tinweirdo said:
I just want to confirn that the New York auditon is in the 2nd week of September then!? I hope I can make it I thought it migt be in Oct I'am a bit upset now! :concern:
I try to keep the most up-to-date information in this post here:
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showpost.php?p=300481&postcount=51

If anybody gets any more news that you're positive about (from the main phone number) please PM me or e-mail me so I can keep the info updated there.

You know, if I walk in and there's a table full of puppets--especially of the ones they want folks to be able to perform--I'll be in trouble. It'll be too hard to pay attention to the things I should when there are Muppets there to be played with and perform with!!

Maybe I'll behave enough where I'm supposed to.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Devil's Advocate

Okay...I want to bring up something here just for the sake of discussion. When I first heard about these auditions, I was SUPER MEGA excited. What an opportunity. Then, on Monday night thoughts started creeping into my head.

Last summer I got the HUGE opportunity to work with some of the Muppet performers. It was a dream come true. They are, as you all know, some of the nicest people in the world. So dedicated. So true. So whole heartedly behind the product that is The Muppets.

So as I'm lying in bed the other night thinking about this audition I started thinking about the current Muppet performers and wondered what they thought of these auditions. Now I'm sure Steve and Dave know that they have nothing to fear from me if I audition. They are the pros. But I bet there would be some little part of them that says, "Kermit is appearing at a Mall opening and I'm not doing the voice? What?!"

Now, of course, Disney would do this because they don't want to have pay Steve or Dave to fly out to a mall opening (or whatever public appearance these groups will be going to). They can pay someone else, who does a reasonably good impression of the character to go out and perform instead for a much lower rate, thereby saving money. <sarcasm> And I'm not sure but I think Disney cares about money. I could be wrong.</sarcasm>

To me, and please remember this is only my opinion and I could be wrong, what these auditions do is basically say that it's only the puppet that matters, not the performer. Why would the performer matter when they can have three different troupes of performers performing at the same time?

I believe that it's the performer who makes the character and I don't think this project is fair to the guys who are currently performing these characters. Gonzo is not Gonzo without Dave, etc.

Also, what is the next step after this? In a few years Disney COULD say, "You know we're paying these Muppet performers (Steve, Dave, Bill) X amount of dollars to be in this new Muppet TV show and we have all these folks performing in our Public Appearance groups, who'd jump at the chance to be on TV doing these characters and we'd only have to pay them less than half of what the other guys get. Their voices are close enough." (Please notice I said this is what they COULD do.)

Now I know you may be thinking, "Well they have Bear do shows at the Parks and it's not really the person who does Bear." Yes. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, the person in the show at the Theme park is not actually speaking the part. They are lip syncing to a recorded track done buy the guy who does Bear. This project seems different.

I am not saying people shouldn't audition. I'm just giving folks something to discuss. Heck, I may even go audition still just to audition (though I'm positive after this little post, the job is a sure thing for me). Just something to think about. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Grant

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
OR!

Maybe it's the travelling Muppet Show Live that was mentioned a while back, or cruise ship performances, or some other such thing while the actual performers are doing the movies or (hopefully) a TV show!

Could be great things happening that will be helpful to those we love who are the main performers now?

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
OR!

Maybe it's the travelling Muppet Show Live that was mentioned a while back, or cruise ship performances, or some other such thing while the actual performers are doing the movies or (hopefully) a TV show!

Could be great things happening that will be helpful to those we love who are the main performers now?
You are very right, it could be. I was simply bringing it up for discussion. I still feel that it's not about the puppets. It's about the performers.

Grant

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, it's later this fall when we all go for auditions (or to at least get a chance to play with the puppets :smile: ) and not long after that we'll find out more.

But, yes, a discussion would be good about that.

Also, gang, if you get more info, please feel free to let me know.

tinweirdo

Reaction score
anybody buy the firstseason of the Muppet show and MWoOz cause I did yesterday. Very good, is anyone going to the new york audtion smaybe we could split the cost if a room or a bus there!!! :embarrassed:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
ToasterBoy said:
Also, what is the next step after this? In a few years Disney COULD say, "You know we're paying these Muppet performers (Steve, Dave, Bill) X amount of dollars to be in this new Muppet TV show and we have all these folks performing in our Public Appearance groups, who'd jump at the chance to be on TV doing these characters and we'd only have to pay them less than half of what the other guys get. Their voices are close enough." (Please notice I said this is what they COULD do.)
This is where moral values come in. I know of people in the voice-over community who have been asked to audition for a role that is being played by someone else. If you have any values, you refuse, unless the other person gives you permission.

I don't think Disney is foolish enough to not value what those performers bring to the characters. But if they tried to replace them strictly over money, and I was the one they were asking, I would refuse to do it.

:stick_out_tongue:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
You know, if I walk in and there's a table full of puppets--especially of the ones they want folks to be able to perform--I'll be in trouble. It'll be too hard to pay attention to the things I should when there are Muppets there to be played with and perform with!!
Nothing is impossible and I never say never... but I'd be shocked if they have professional puppets that they let 400 people put on. Not to mention that these auditions are being held in three different cities, which probably means more like 1200 people.

:stick_out_tongue:

Jinx

Reaction score
One thing to bear in mind about the whole casting process is that producers are always casting replacements on broadway and in the theatre. Many actors have played Max Bialystock and Leo Bloom in The Producers even though the roles are indelibly marked by Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick.

Now I'll certainly agree that the Muppeteers bring a very unique quality to their characters, but no one is irreplaceable, as Jim Henson himself desired that the Muppets go on without him. But if the producers need wider coverage, then they'll multiple cast.

I doubt with all my heart and soul that Stave, Dave, et al have anything to worry about.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I doubt VERY seriously Steve, Dave, Bill, David, all those will have anything to worry about. I doubt they're going to be replaced by anybody. Well, that is without retiring first. But, I just don't see that happening.