The dark day of Valentines Day is upon us...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I really don't want to care what other people think of me. If I want to send a Valentine to "just a friend" I'll do it. The shallow emphasis on romantic love does bring the holiday down occasionally, but I don't let that ruin my holiday. :smile:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Yeah, they do seem to place a lot of emphasis on romantic love. I mean, for the upcoming V-day dinner here, on the flyers they're telling people to bring their special someone or find one at the dinner. Plus, all the ads for rings and jewelry in the paper...I kind of agree that a lot of people like to use the holiday as an excuse to guilt-trip all of us singles.

One of my buddies in the poetry club (before it fell apart) likes to call the day "Singles Awareness Day," and she wrote a really witty, sarcastic poem about it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think the advertisements for jewelry and stuff are a guilt trip for singles, it's to con couples out of their money! That's what we do with every holiday, get people to spend their money, this is a capitalist society, hehe.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Ahh but February 15 is a nice day.

It's the day I go buy candy at 1/2 price!

Katzi428

Reaction score
sarah_yzma said:
Ahh but February 15 is a nice day.

It's the day I go buy candy at 1/2 price!
Hmmm....good point Sarah.My sister got me a big bag of peanut M&Ms for Valentines' Day.So I'll stick with those.:smile:

dabauckham

Reaction score
Sorry if someone already said this, but I think the big problem with Valentines Day is all the expectations that are placed on having a "perfect" day. I really don't hate Valentine's Day, but I understand why some people have a problem with it. Here's a funny article from Hopkins, which hopefully will cheer some people up: http://www.jhu.edu/~newslett/02-14-97/Features/Emily_and_Sandhya_hate_Valentine's_Day.html

Believe it or not, my wife co-wrote it before we started dating! LOL :wink:

dabauckham

Reaction score
Note - you may have to cut and paste the link into a new window. For some reason it wasn't linking directly. Anyway, hope you enjoy it!