The Great Desire

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So much... Great chapter.

Loved how you worked the Muppety chaos around the lines of the song "Just An Old-Fashioned Love Song" by Three Dog Night.
Also liked the song from Muppet Babies, and how the rest of the gang were setting up around the singers at Rowlf's piano.
Extra hugs for Robin seated on his step halfway down the stairs, and with his uncle next to him too.

The meeting, funny as always thanks to that lovely blonde guitarist.
The basket and the card and how Robin found it... Oh, heart stabby feeling.
Nice reference... Doctor Sollen.
Camilla and Gonzo seem so happy, think I know who this surrogate mother will be...

Please Melissa... Post more!

MarkFraggle

Reaction score
First, I LOVE Gonzo's "Then what are we doing here?" line. That was marvelous. Very husband, very guy, and very Gonzo all at once. Tremendous job on that.

Also, using Camilla's Song was a stroke of pure genius. So heartwrenching. I HATE seeing Gonzo so depressed, although I love it because it is such a great story.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Oh my gosh! EEE! This is an awesome story! Sorry I haven't commented yet. I just finally got caught up and oh wow! It's so great!!! I can't wait to read more of it! Surrogate mother? Goodness!!!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of that muffin cannon...

*Turns around and fires off a round of crumbs at Melissa. Please post more... Soon?

Java

Reaction score
Oh, I knew it would be turned around and used on me. So here it is, the next chapter. Short but to the point in that it pivots the action for us. Oh, you'll see...

Java

Reaction score
Chapter 7

Two Months after Janice’s Return

Camilla sat at the desk in her classroom trying to concentrate on grading papers. Gently she picked up Henrietta’s paper and tried to read about the history of chickens in performing arts.

Why am I doing this? She thought carefully about the decision she had made to take Victor Sims up on his offer. I know why, but I don’t. This isn’t making me happy. Unaware to herself, she let out a huge sigh. Nothing is making me happy anymore.

“Those papers aren’t grading themselves you know,” the tall dark haired man said as he slowly made his way to the desk with his cane.

“I’m sorry,” Camilla scrawled quickly on the pad she kept with her to talk to the other staff in the school.

“Please, don’t be. It just means that your creative mind is at work.”

“I really haven’t been doing much creating,” she responded back to Mr. Sims.

“We all go through ruts,” he said gearing up for the reason he had come to see her, “from my understanding, you’ve been in one for quite a while now. It’s something we need to change.”

Camilla stopped for a moment, panic building up inside her. This was wrong for me to do. I knew I should have never accepted the position. Carefully she brought her wings closer to her side, lowered her head and wrote, “I know that I haven’t been the best. I still am carrying my personal problems and letting them interfere with my work. If you want me to…”

“Stop right now. I don’t want to know what the remainder of that sentence is. I did not come here to fire you.” Carefully Victor sat down on the desk and remained quiet until Camilla looked up at him. “You are an incredible teacher and are an inspiration to more than just the chickens here. You’ve got the passion in your teaching that I was looking for.”

He paused for a moment to catch his breath and decide how to proceed in the next step of this plan. Manipulation is hard to accomplish when the recipient is wallowing in despair.

“It’s the passion in the rest of your life that you need to get back. Camilla,” Victor had never lied to any of his staff before, this was going to be a huge first. “We’ve had a call from a popular group of… artists for the talents of a chicken.” Well, at least that part was true. “They are having a very hard time filling the role and were wondering if we had any who would be interested in the part.” Starting to stretch the truth, Victor thought at the same time before he took a sigh and continued. “Unfortunately I think the role requires a seasoned veteran of the stage. The only one who fits that description is you.” Victor paused to look down at Camilla.

You could almost see the smoke starting to rise from Camilla’s head. She started to shake from head to toe as she started to write out her response for Mr. Sims. He started to wring his hands, knowing she had just seen through the entire plan.

“I am so sorry that you have been dragged into this.” She began as Victor looked on. “The only people I know, producing a show filled with artists, as you put it, that need a chicken is the Muppets.” Victor wasn’t quite expecting this reaction and was worried about what was going to come next. “At this time I am unable to work with the Muppets. If it had been Kermit or Scooter who had called, they would have told you that.” Now Victor was confused. “Unfortunately my former husband must have seen the task on the list and wanted to manipulate me into joining the show.”

“Wait a minute,” Victor started interrupting. Unfortunately the plan was not as Camilla saw it and still had to be carried out. Kermit was going to owe him big for this one. “It is the Muppets, but Gonzo did not contact me and Kermit only asked for…” he swallowed hard as he began the lie, “a chicken to fill the role. I thought it would be good exposure for the school if we could show off the talent of our teacher and bring in more chickens as students. I did not realize it would cause a personal conflict. We’ll just have to get someone else to do it. Maybe we can get a student ready in time but I really think you’re the only one who could take on the role.” Victor looked back at her, thankful for his actors training.

Camilla shook her head to rid herself of the anger she was so quick to jump to and swallowed hard to repress the glimmer of hope starting to build up inside. To be back on stage, to be back with the gang, to see… Carefully she wrote back, “Don’t start looking yet. I’m going to think about it and tell you tomorrow.”

“Okay,” Victor wiped his hands down his face in relief, “Let me know first thing so we can get it all straightened out.”

The time passed quickly after Victor left the room although Camilla still found that she could not concentrate enough to grade the papers. Now her mind was filled with memories of the stage, talking with her friends, being a family.

Camilla found herself making her way home, knowing that she was going say yes. She missed it so much. It was in watching old episodes of The Muppet Show when she was still un-credited that she realized what she had missed and regretted cutting herself off from the group. She regretted not joining in at the party.

She knew there was so much to make up for and only one place to start. Carefully she picked up the phone and dialed the number. After four rings the voicemail picked up. Must still be in rehearsal she thought to herself as the message played through. At the tone Camilla left her gently clucked message and then hung up.

Now all she could do was wait.

Gonzo and Camilla’s kitchen the same day as the appointment

“And that,” stated Gonzo looking across the table to Floyd and Janice, “is what we were told.”

“Well that’s slick Mr. Blue Whatever, but why are you only telling this to us? Where do we play into this groovy number?” Floyd replied, not sure what to think of the meeting.

“Well,” Camilla began, “We wanted to know if…”

Janice slowly started to squirm in her seat. She often felt as if Camilla and she were long lost sisters at heart and just knew where this was going.

“We wanted to know if Janice would be our surrogate for us,” Camilla finished.

Janice looked over at Floyd who simply stated, “Babe, if you want to help them, you know I’m not going to stand in your way.”

Immediately she turned back to Camilla and said, “Like definitely! When do we tell the others?”

The plans went smoothly from there. It wasn’t long before the theater was abuzz with Gonzo and Camilla’s plans to start an extension of the family. Doctor’s appointments were easy as the first trimester of the pregnancy passed and the enthusiasm was displayed in the shows that audiences were now coming to in droves.

The Muppets started talking in terms of weeks of pregnancy and how the baby was changing with each week, what ultrasound pictures were showing, and wondering exactly what this new something would look like in person. They all agreed that there had never been a better, more exciting time for the Muppets in all of their lives.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Gosh I love this! I'm getting all excited about the baby....even though I know where it's going....I really like how you're doing this with present day and flashbacks, it just gives it so many levels and emotions and oy. I really want to read more and I'm always so disappointed when the chapter is over! Great job!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh? Isn't that Lisa's word? Anyway...

Melissa... How do I love this story you're writing...
Wow... The glimpses of the past, with Floyd and Janice... Long lost sisters, that's a great line and sentiment.
Can I help it if I'm getting swept in that merriment about the pregnancy?

And the deviousness of the plan... Trying to get Camilla back on stage... So much longing and soft sadness there, which only makes it better to know that performing with the troop is the one little glimmer of hope she has left.

When you've got it... Please post more as I'm enjoying this verily.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
*points* *shaking* Ja-Ja-JANICE...Oh like wooooooooow!!! This is a twist I NEVER expected!! Can't wait for more!

MarkFraggle

Reaction score
Java said:
Why am I doing this? She thought carefully about the decision she had made to take Victor Sims up on his offer. I know why, but I don’t. This isn’t making me happy. Unaware to herself, she let out a huge sigh. Nothing is making me happy anymore.
Aww, poor Camilla. Good job conveying her generally dark mood towards life at the moment. Sad, though.

Java said:
“Those papers aren’t grading themselves you know,” the tall dark haired man said as he slowly made his way to the desk with his cane.
I love the mental image I get of this guy. Something about the cane makes him awesome in my mind.

Java said:
“We all go through ruts,” he said gearing up for the reason he had come to see her, “from my understanding, you’ve been in one for quite a while now. It’s something we need to change.”
Hint, hint. This guy does a good job of sneakily leading into his point.

Java said:
Camilla stopped for a moment, panic building up inside her. This was wrong for me to do. I knew I should have never accepted the position. Carefully she brought her wings closer to her side, lowered her head and wrote, “I know that I haven’t been the best. I still am carrying my personal problems and letting them interfere with my work. If you want me to…”
Again, a good job reflecting Camilla's overall outlook on life. Negative thoughts immediately jump to mind for her. Poor chicken thinks she's being fired!

Java said:
“It’s the passion in the rest of your life that you need to get back.
HINT, HINT. Less subtle this time.

Java said:
“We’ve had a call from a popular group of… artists for the talents of a chicken.” Well, at least that part was true. “They are having a very hard time filling the role and were wondering if we had any who would be interested in the part.” Starting to stretch the truth, Victor thought at the same time before he took a sigh and continued. “Unfortunately I think the role requires a seasoned veteran of the stage. The only one who fits that description is you.” Victor paused to look down at Camilla.
Poor guy. You can tell he isn't very practiced at lying. Even I knew what he was going for.

Java said:
You could almost see the smoke starting to rise from Camilla’s head. She started to shake from head to toe as she started to write out her response for Mr. Sims. He started to wring his hands, knowing she had just seen through the entire plan.
Bad liar and smart chicken do not mix well. Vic is trying to be helpful!

Java said:
“At this time I am unable to work with the Muppets.
SO. SAD.

Java said:
“Wait a minute,” Victor started interrupting. Unfortunately the plan was not as Camilla saw it and still had to be carried out. Kermit was going to owe him big for this one.
Oooh, her anger/sadness clouded her reasoning. Good job for sticking with the plan in the face of an angry chicken, Vic.

Java said:
To be back on stage, to be back with the gang, to see…
Gotta be hard to not hang out with all your best friends for so very long.

Java said:
“Okay,” Victor wiped his hands down his face in relief, “Let me know first thing so we can get it all straightened out.”
Relief that she agreed to think about it, or just that the conversation is over?

Java said:
She knew there was so much to make up for and only one place to start. Carefully she picked up the phone and dialed the number. After four rings the voicemail picked up. Must still be in rehearsal she thought to herself as the message played through. At the tone Camilla left her gently clucked message and then hung up.

Now all she could do was wait.
Hooooooooooray!

Java said:
Janice slowly started to squirm in her seat. She often felt as if Camilla and she were long lost sisters at heart and just knew where this was going.

“We wanted to know if Janice would be our surrogate for us,” Camilla finished
Whoa, crazy! But of course she will say yes. How fun!

Java said:
Janice looked over at Floyd who simply stated, “Babe, if you want to help them, you know I’m not going to stand in your way.”
Good man, that Floyd.

Java said:
The Muppets started talking in terms of weeks of pregnancy and how the baby was changing with each week, what ultrasound pictures were showing, and wondering exactly what this new something would look like in person. They all agreed that there had never been a better, more exciting time for the Muppets in all of their lives.
Oh, happiness is fun, but holy cow, it is hard to share their happiness when you know what it is going to do to them all.

Great chapter. More please!