"The Muppets": Audience Reactions

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
Lol, well yeah Twilight is the quintessential "Drag your boyfriend to see it" film. :wink:
I actually hate Twilight. I didn't think the books were well written and the first film was so dull I walked out of the cinema. Bring on February, I don't understand why we have to wait for the Muppets and have to contend with Breaking Dawn.

Greg Bevier

Reaction score
Well, my wife, who doesn't like the Muppets at all really liked the movie and I, a lifetime Muppet fan only sort of liked it. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not.

I wasn't as touched or excited by it as most people. I thought the first section was really good, but I thought they had too many subplots going that slowed the movie down in the middle. (The Amy Adams character seems a bit pointless and that "Party For One" song was awful. The problem for me was that I didn't connect to the Muppets dilemma because they weren't really the main characters. It was more "Jason Segel featuring The Muppets." The story seems really more about Walter with the Muppets as a supporting cast.

Having said that, I *do* like the movie. It is certainly better than just about everything they've done since Jim Henson died and I laughed like crazy more than a handful of times. However, I just didn't find it as "touching" as most people did. I'm also not a big person for entertainers/sports figures hanging on too long. I always sort of felt the Muppets hit their prime in the late 70's to the mid-80's and since "Muppet Christmas Carol" have sort of been floundering. The spirit that Henson and Frank Oz brought to the characters isn't really there for me anymore.

I know I sound like an old grump, but I guess I'm in the minority.

KG Ensey

Reaction score
Besides the movie itself, one of the greatest side effects of the film is hearing other people get excited about the Muppets whether it's in the theater, friends and family or even strangers. The Muppet enthusiasm really feels like 1979 again.

Tell us your stories. How did people around you respond to "The Muppets" before, during and after the movie?
Longtime Muppet fans, my husband & I viewed the new Muppets movie here in Austin TX at one of the Highland Galaxy theatres. As the end credits began to roll, one of the theatre ushers at the bottom of the stairs began speaking loudly which we initially thought were instructions to follow as we exited. However, it was instead an exuberant outburst by the usher about how "Mah Nà Mah Nà" was broadcast during the first episode of The Muppet Show on tv when he was a kid and that he'd been a Muppets fan ever since. This declaration of Muppets' love inspired an older gentleman, to make his way to the front of the theatre down near the screen, to begin dancing and acting with grandiose sweeping of his arms and leg strutting, even a mock broom contest with the usher. Aaaah, The Muppets still inspire mayhem. Jim Henson was smiling!

LinkLady77

Reaction score
I enjoyed the movie very much...seeing so many of the classic characters again really put a smile on my face! My fav (Link!) even got to sing...(excited shriek!!). It saddened me to see only 7 other people in the theater (this was in upstate NY) on opening night. I hope that more people went to go see it at my local theater after Turkey Day. I also agree that they should have added something after the credits for our Muppety pleasure. I was still watching the screen in anticipation as my boyfriend was gently tugging my arm as we were leaving the theater aisle...LOL. I will definitely be going back for a second viewing...maybe a third...or fourth...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I always sort of felt the Muppets hit their prime in the late 70's to the mid-80's and since "Muppet Christmas Carol" have sort of been floundering. The spirit that Henson and Frank Oz brought to the characters isn't really there for me anymore.
I agree and there's nothing wrong with that. If their kind of success could be easily duplicated, it wouldn't mean very much. :smile:

muppetsliveon

Reaction score
I read in an interview that stephenie meyer (twilight author) said that she didnt even like the way she wrote them. The movie was awesome. One of my friends said He that it was going to suck, but he thought it was awesome. He also said his favorite part was human walter (sheldon cooper big bang theory,jim parsons).

Tom75

Reaction score
What fun to see all the Muppet characters up on the big screen.
Miss Piggy has never looked so good.
And Walter whistling was worth the price of admission!
More!

Mahna Mahna

Reaction score
So. . . my hubby and I went for our wedding anniversary. Yup.
We sat in the lux level of the theatre-- it felt a little strange to be in the "grown up" seats watching a decidedly-non-grown-up movie, but it was AWESOME. A special day and a special film, and I'm so glad to see a new generation enjoying the Muppets the way I remember them.
I was so happy, but at the same time got easily tearful, esp. at Rainbow Connection. I think Jim would be proud of it. . . I hope he's smiling :smile:

Puckrox

Reaction score
So. . . my hubby and I went for our wedding anniversary. Yup.
That's... oh my goodness, I can't even begin to express how much I want that someday. I sincerely hope Muppet movies are still coming out when I'm married (in the far off distant future), so then we can spend anniversaries/quality time together going to see Muppet movies. :smile: