The Next Step: The Fifth and Final Rowlf Story

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
At long last here's the next chapter. HUGE hugs and thanks to Ed who not only gave me an idea to make this chapter work, but also for whom I had to give a huge spoiler in order to explain what I was having trouble with. Thank you times a million big cousin!

Chapter Six:

In Piggy’s dressing room Piggy and Wanda sat down. Neither said anything at first.

“Um Wanda dear? Do you want to talk about what’s wrong?” Piggy finally asked gently.

“I just don’t know how I’m going to tell Rowlf,” said Wanda.

“Tell Rowlf what?” asked Piggy.

“I’m. . .” started Wanda.

“Vous. . .” said Piggy with the same dramatic pause.

“I’m pregnant!” Wanda finally blurted out.

“You are? But that is happy news, Rowlfie will be thrilled!” exclaimed Piggy.

“I don’t know, I mean, we had settled on adoption, they’re in the process of finding us two babies! We could end up with three! Or more than that!” exclaimed Wanda.

“Then you could have a big family,” said Piggy.

“No! Yes! I don’t know, this is all happening so fast and who knows what kind of baby I’ll actually have and this is just so complicated,” said Wanda starting to shake a little.

“It is scary isn’t it,” said Piggy moving closer to her friend. If there was one thing the diva understood, it was interspecies relationships and the issues that went with them. She didn’t know what she and Kermit would do if they ever wanted to have kids, which was a big if, but still a possibility.

“At the same time though, I’m thrilled! It will be a little me and a little Rowlf combined. How amazing is that?” said Wanda softly.

“It’s very amazing,” said Piggy.

Kermit looked at his old friend who was still in shock.

“Rowlf? Is this possible? No offense Annie,” said Kermit to Rowlf and then as a polite aside to Annie.

“None taken,” said Annie.

Rowlf finally found the words to speak.

“Yes, it is possible. Regina and I were close but it ended. She never said a word to me about this,” said Rowlf.

“Mom didn’t hold any blame to you for the way things ended really. She was in a different place in her life and just wanted to raise me on her own,” said Annie.

“Well I wouldn’t expect her to hold any blame; she’s the one who left. She’s the one who ended things,” said Rowlf.

“I know that too,” said Annie.

“I never knew you had ever loved anyone before,” said Kermit.

“Remember that song ‘I Hope That Something Better Comes Along’?” said Rowlf.

“Of course, how could I forget?” said Kermit.

“I kind of wrote that about her,” said Rowlf.

“Oh,” said Kermit realizing his friend had much more to his past than he had once realized.

“I’m sorry I never told you, it was never anything important,” said Rowlf.

“It’s all right. Listen, you and I can talk later, why don’t the two of you talk for a bit and I’ll leave you here alone,” said Kermit getting up still feeling the shock himself.

“Thanks Kermit,” said Rowlf knowing he had a long story to share.

“I really am sorry to just spring this on you and I just want you to know, I don’t expect much from you. I just thought it would be nice to get to know you, learn more about where I come from,” said Annie.

Rowlf suddenly remembered Wanda. How was he going to explain this to her?

“That’s great, it really is, it’s just kind of bad timing,” said Rowlf.

“Oh, I know. I know you just got married to the cat, who by the way I don’t expect to be a fill in mother or anything. I also know that you’re looking to adopt some children,” said Annie.

“Wow, how did you figure all that out?” asked Rowlf.

“I’ve been hanging around town for awhile now. It was easy to learn things,” said Annie.

“Makes sense,” said Rowlf.

“Anyway, I’m in no hurry. I have a job here in town. I live in an apartment. I graduated from high school last year so I have no other responsibilities. I just want a chance to know my father,” said Annie.

“Well, I guess we can give it a try,” said Rowlf.

“I’ll give you a few days to let this sink in, believe me, I understand it must be a huge shock. This is where I’m staying. Talk to your wife and then maybe the both of you could come by. I’d love to meet her,” said Annie as she handed him a piece of paper with her address and phone number.

“You seem very mature and together for your age. Regina did a good job with you,” said Rowlf at a loss to say much else.

“Thanks. I’ll see you soon?” asked Annie.

“Yeah, um, thanks for giving me some time with this,” said Rowlf.

“No problem,” said Annie and then got up to leave.

As she stepped outside she smiled. It didn’t go as horribly as she thought. She only hoped that Rowlf wouldn’t be afraid to let her get to know him.

Rowlf continued to sit in the lobby in a daze. He never imagined anything like this would ever come up in his life. He had all but forgotten Regina at this point. Mostly, he worried about what he would tell Wanda.

Meanwhile the backstage of the theatre was abuzz with gossip and chatter. Rowlf and Kermit hadn’t realized that Pepe had stuck around and eavesdropped a little bit, long enough to learn the identity of this mystery guest.

“Si, she’s a very attractive young dog hokay. Dark brown and white fur with black spots all over, very nice legs for a canine hokay. But she’s Rowlf’s daughter so she’ll be off limits I suppose, dios mio,” said Pepe to Clifford.

“Rowlf has a daughter? That sly devil,” said Clifford as Scooter walked by.

“Rowlf has a daughter?” he asked.

“Si, I think her name is Annie,” said Pepe.

“Who’s Annie?” asked Floyd as he walked through with Animal.

“Someone that Rowlf knows I guess,” said Fozzie also walking through.

The conversations continued to get louder outside of Piggy’s dressing room where she and Wanda continued to sit in silence.

“Did you hear something about Rowlf and someone named Annie?” asked Wanda.

“Perhaps Annie Sue or Annie Afgan?” said Piggy.

“Why would everyone be talking about either of them in relation to Rowlf?” asked Wanda.

“I don’t know, maybe we should go see what’s going on,” said Piggy.

They got up and opened the door.

“I heard that she’s the love child of Rowlf and this crazy tap-dancing werewolf that he met in the north woods of Minnesota!” exclaimed Gonzo.

“Gonzo, that’s ridiculous. We did hear that she is his daughter though,” said Scooter.

Wanda stepped into the group that had formed and was discussing the situation.

“Oh, hi Wanda,” said Gonzo.

“Rowlf has a daughter?” asked Wanda shaking a little.

“Si and she’s real sexy hokay,” said Pepe.

“Pepe!” exclaimed Fozzie and elbowed him.

Wanda didn’t say anything. Just then Kermit approached the group having just left Rowlf and Annie alone.

“What’s going on?” asked Kermit.

“Hey man, what’s this about Rowlf having a daughter?” asked Clifford.

“Yeah, is it a secret? I mean, Wanda didn’t even know!” said Gonzo.

“Guys! What have I told you about gossiping?” asked Kermit.

Everyone kind of grumbled a little bit.

“That’s what I thought,” said Kermit.

“Wait! He didn’t say it wasn’t true!” said Scooter and the chatter started back up.

“THAT’S ENOUGH! Rowlf will tell all of you if he feels like it, now back to work!” exclaimed Kermit as the group dispersed leaving himself, Piggy and Wanda.

Wanda looked up at Kermit.

“Is it true?” asked Wanda.

“I think you need to talk to Rowlf,” said Kermit softly.

“Then you can also tell him about,” Piggy started to say and then stopped when Wanda frantically shook her head no to Piggy.

“Tell him about what? How did it go at the doctor?” asked Kermit.

“Oh, fine. I’m healthy, everything is great, that’s all I needed to tell him,” said Wanda quickly.

Piggy gave Wanda a look which Wanda ignored and then asked Kermit where Rowlf was.

“He’s out in the lobby talking with um, her,” said Kermit cautiously.

“That’s fine, I just need to speak to him,” said Wanda and hurried away.

“Wow,” said Piggy.

“I know,” said Kermit.

“Do you think they’ll be ok?” asked Piggy.

“Well, they’ve been through quite a bit already. I’m sure they can get through this too,” said Kermit but inside he wasn’t so sure. He wasn’t sure if he even knew his oldest friend at all.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh like wow! Fer sure! Yeah, dig it man!

This was great ever so muchly Beth. To see how the conversations carried out. And the fact that complications are awaiting the dog and cat. Gossip at the backstage frowned upon? Surely you jest Kermit. Better him than the bear... And there are a couple of lines I rully liked.
"Is it a secret? Even Wanda didn't know." said Gonzo.
That's so perfectly in character with the weirdo.
"Hey! He didn't say it wasn't true" said Scooter and the chatter started up again.
That made me smirkingly laugh, another perfect line.

You're hitting all the fright notes with the story and how the characters are coming across. You must have some TMS episodes to draw from.
Please Beth, post more! Soon! Ish?
And I'll have to ask about Annie later, off to check on how those housemates at MC BB/LS did.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I LOVED it, Beth! My favorite chapter so far! GREAT job! Everyone was in perfect character! And it's getting totally epic! WOOT!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh... If you think that's epic Prawny... Then wait until you see/read what Wanda does next. But I'll keep quiet on that. Best to let the author herself drop that bombshell when ready.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
This next chapter was a difficult one to write...that's all I can say....

Chapter Seven:

Rowlf was still in a daze collecting his thoughts when Wanda came storming up to him.

“Wanda! There you are, I’ve been worried about you,” said Rowlf.

“Save it, we’ve got to talk,” said Wanda bitterly.

“Is something wrong?” asked Rowlf worried about her health, still not knowing that she had been to the doctor.

“Yeah, you have something you want to tell me?” asked Wanda.

“What are you talking about?” asked Rowlf suddenly nervous.

“You have a daughter? How is it that this never came up in conversation? Huh? What is the deal?” asked Wanda beginning to seethe.

“How..how did you?” Rowlf started to ask.

“How did I find out?” Wanda finished for him.

“Yeah,” said Rowlf a little confused. It wouldn’t be like Kermit to blab this information all around backstage.

“Everyone is talking about it! I think Pepe overheard you talking with her. So why is she here? Does she want money? Does her mother want you back?” said Wanda nearly hissing.

“Ok first of all her mother is dead and second of all I’m sorry you had to find out this way, I can explain everything,” said Rowlf.

“Well I’m sorry too. I’m sorry that I married you when it turns out I don’t even know you!” yelled Wanda and started for the door.

Rowlf got up to go after her.

Wanda turned around suddenly.

“Don’t you dare follow me right now, I need some space,” said Wanda angrily and stormed out the door.

Rowlf stood there in shock. He had never seen his wife so angry, so unwilling to even talk about the problem. Something wasn’t right with her. He didn’t know what to do so he tried to respect her wishes.

Kermit came out into the lobby. He was worried about them and thought if he saw them talking he’d just walk away. He was surprised to find Rowlf alone staring out the door.

“Rowlf?” asked Kermit.

“She hates me,” said Rowlf.

“That can’t be true. I’m sure she’s just upset at how things went. Give her a little space and talk about it later,” said Kermit.

“I just hope she’s willing to talk then,” said Rowlf.

“Um, in the meantime, do you think we could talk?” asked Kermit.

“I was expecting this. Come on, ask me what you want to know,” said Rowlf.

“Well, my biggest question still is why this has never come up before. Not Annie but her mother. What’s the story?” asked Kermit.

“It’s another long and rather painful part of my past that I long ago put behind me. I never brought it up simply for not wanting to open up old wounds,” said Rowlf.

He began to explain to Kermit about what happened after he left Minnesota but before he met Kermit.

“Margaret, the human I lived with in Minnesota recognized that my talent and encouraged me to go on the road to become famous. I was hired in that restaurant out west to play piano as light background music. Regina was a waitress there,” started Rowlf.

“Was she still a waitress there when we met?” asked Kermit.

“Nope, she was already long gone at that point. Anyway, somehow we got to talking and being the only two dogs in the place we found we had a lot in common. We fell madly in love. We dated exclusively for about a year while working together and then one day she up and left. She sent me a note a few months later stating she was moving on and never coming back and that she just didn’t love me anymore,” said Rowlf.

“Wow,” said Kermit.

“Yeah. It was a slap in the face, I was getting ready to propose to her and everything. Instead, I threw myself back into my music. After another year you and the crew came to the restaurant and the rest you know,” said Rowlf.

“Is this why you had such a hard time committing to Wanda in the first place?” asked Kermit referring to when Rowlf first brought Wanda to Hensonville.

“I guess it was. The longer time went on the more I forgot all about Regina but I guess it wasn’t until I was with Wanda that I truly learned to love again. I guess that’s why it was hard for me to realize I loved her and wanted to spend my life with her. And now my past has come back to bite me,” said Rowlf.

“I’m sure if you told Wanda this entire story she’d understand,” said Kermit.

“Well, it’s going to be complicated. After all, I guess I ended up having a child with Regina. A grown child who was kept in the dark and deserves a chance to know me. I deserve to know her too,” said Rowlf.

“Wanda is a reasonable headed woman. She will understand if you just talk to her, share your feelings. I don’t know much about marriage but I think communication is kind of a key element of it,” said Kermit.

“You’re right. I should talk to her. I just hope she’ll listen,” said Rowlf.

He and Kermit shared a small brotherly embrace and tried to get back to business as usual.

Wanda wandered around town for awhile even though it was raining. As she did her temper calmed down a bit. She even felt a little bad, she knew she should’ve let Rowlf explain himself. Deep down though it really hurt her that there were things about him that she still didn’t know.

She thought of the small life growing inside of her and realized she couldn’t tell Rowlf about it now. And then what about the baby they could possibly be adopting? Everything was a mess. She didn’t know how to deal with any of this.

With a heavy heart she finally returned to the boarding house. It was dinnertime and the Electric Mayhem bus had just returned from the theatre and everyone was piling off.

“Wanda! There vous are, I was worried about you,” Piggy came running over.

“Yeah, I’ve had one shock after another today,” said Wanda.

“Are you going to tell Rowlf about the baby now?” asked Piggy in a whisper.

“Not now, we’ve got some bigger things to deal with. Promise me, no matter what that you’ll keep this a secret,” said Wanda.

“Wanda, are vous sure? I really think he needs to know,” said Piggy.

“Yes, I’m sure. Please Piggy, promise me you won’t tell him or anyone else,” said Wanda pleading with her eyes.

Piggy sighed. “Ok, if vous wish, moi will not say a word to anyone,” she said.

“Thanks,” said Wanda and hurried towards the house.

Piggy felt a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. Wanda was a mess. Something was not right.

Meanwhile, Wanda caught up with Rowlf.

“Hi,” he said softly.

“Hi. I’m sorry I ran off. I just needed to clear my head,” said Wanda not looking him in the eye.

“Are you ready to talk?” asked Rowlf.

“I’m really exhausted right now. But, I promise, we’ll talk later,” said Wanda.

Rowlf decided to let her be. They sat with the group and ate dinner. The usual chatter went on around them, but it was noticeable that something wasn’t right with the normally happy couple.

After dinner they went up to bed.

“I love you,” said Rowlf as he turned off the light. Wanda was quiet for a moment. “I love you too,” she whispered as silent tears fell from her eyes.

The next morning rose sunny and bright. Rowlf rolled over and was hopeful a good night’s sleep did Wanda some good and that she was ready to talk.

He wasn’t prepared for what he found next.

His wife wasn’t in bed beside him. Her dresser drawers were open and empty.

She left a note on the pillow.

Rowlf picked it up and read it and felt his heart nearly stopped.

Wanda was gone.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! WAAAAAAAAAAANDA!

*falls over* More... please...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yaey! New chapter!
And here's the second part of that spoiler Beth sent me, glad it finally got posted. You're portraying Piggy very well, more of a matriarch than the usual ushygushy diva. Also find the image of a wettened Wanda sad and sorry for how she treated Rowlf very haunting. Reminds me of the soakened sad beautiful image of Red Sara presented in one of the early chapters of the Prediciment. Rowlfs heart nearly stopped after getting the note from Wanda... Yes, and I bet most of your readers' will have too.
Oh beth! Please post more! Soon... Ish!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Wow, talk about a curveball! Wonder where Wanda has gone to, after promising Rowlf that they would talk. Would it be too early to say that perhaps Wanda is feeling just a tad hormonal?
:wink:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK... You know you've got a powerful gripping story when Lisa comes in to read and review, is left flabbergasted like in her previous post, and doesn't even or forgets to ask for "More please!".
What's this world coming to? Will that girl ever post more fanfic someday soonerishkibbible? And what about the fate of the Muppet Theater? For these and other muffins, check your local refrigerator.