The Weird Al Show on DVD this tuesday

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, The Weird Al Show, Weird Al Yankovic's short-lived 1997 series, will be released on DVD this tuesday, August 15. Who else is excited?

I remember watching the show when it first aired, though I never tapped it. I liked the show. There are quite a few episodes that I missed that sound interesting, such as Time Machine. I found some advanced reviews for the set at DVD Verdict and DVD Talk (I think that's the title. I found these links at The Internet Movie Database). Both reviewers didn't really like the show, but they both praised the commentary, saying that this set is worth buying just for the audio commentary.

I actually had a dream last night that it was the day that these DVDs came out, but I couldn't find any copies at Suncoast or Sam Goody (I woke up before I could go to Best Buy or Circuit City or any other stores).

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
Wow, Sam Goody still exists? The one at my local mall closed years ago, and I thought they were all gone.

In any case, I did tape all the episodes of "The Weird Al Show" but definitely intend to acquire the DVDs! I was just watching a bunch of Al's "interviews" on youtube last night, cracking up the whole time.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Tim Kelly said:
In any case, I did tape all the episodes of "The Weird Al Show" but definitely intend to acquire the DVDs! I was just watching a bunch of Al's "interviews" on youtube last night, cracking up the whole time.
Are you referring to the interviews that Weird Al Yankovic did on his AL-TV and Al Music specials? Man, I wish that whoever it was up to would take care of the legal clearances required to release those on DVD, even if it's just a compilation of the best sketches from those specials. There was once an Ask Al response at www.weirdal.com where Al said that whenever he makes those specials, he doens't bother to get the required permission because it would take too long to take care of all clearances in such a short period of time. Of course, clips from those specials have been included in some commercial reelases (The Complete Al video from 1985 had a few clips from these specials, and the DVD release of Weird Al Yankovic Live had the educational films produced for AL-TV 2K). Yankovic mentioned that because of this home releases wouldn't be too likely in the near future, but then again, the producers of SCTV never got permission for any of the songs used on that show, and it was believed that that show would never make it to video or DVD, and then SCTV recently got released on DVD, with as many of the songs included as possible (oh, and by the way, the SCTV box sets and the first season of The Weird Al Show are both being released by Shout! Factory, the same company that releases the Electric Company DVDs).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I would also like to point out to those who care that Weird Al Yankovic's next album, Straight Outta Lynnwood, will be released this September.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I am very excited to buy this set. I'm a huge Weird Al fan, but I've never actually seen the show. Isn't that strange? It aired back when I was in college, and our channel showed it at 5:30 on Sunday mornings. I just never remembered to tape it. I'm thrilled to get a chance to see it, and I'll be first in line for the new album when it comes out as well.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
I am very excited to buy this set. I'm a huge Weird Al fan, but I've never actually seen the show. Isn't that strange? It aired back when I was in college, and our channel showed it at 5:30 on Sunday mornings. I just never remembered to tape it. I'm thrilled to get a chance to see it, and I'll be first in line for the new album when it comes out as well.
Oh, yeah, I thought I read somewhere that some CBS stations aired the show outside of the regular Saturday Morning Schedule, often including weekday afternoons. One of the reasons that this show didn't get good enough ratings was because CBS did not air advertisements for the show outside of saturday mornings when it was on.

I wonder if Weird Al Yankovic has ever considered doing another series, perhaps for MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, Fox or Adult Swim. I just hope that Weird Al doesn't sink as low as to make his own reality series or talk show (unless those shows were parodies of the generes). I also often wonder if Weird Al has ever thoguht about making a new movie, maybe not UHF 2, but something completely different. Maybe a musical.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Tim Kelly said:
Wow, Sam Goody still exists? The one at my local mall closed years ago, and I thought they were all gone.
The same thing happened to my local Sam Goody for a year. It closed a few years ago, and then one year later it came back.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Some of my favorite moments from The Weird Al Show include....

*Weird Al recalling his first-ever audition, for The Flinstones.
*Randy Savage wrestling Harvey the Wonder Hamster.
*Weird Al promising to a clip of a Taj Mowry movie (and showing his Jurassic park music video isntead).
*Papa and Baby Boolie's response to Fred Huggins winning the award for "Best Children's Show Host".
*Weird Al calling Uncle Ralphie during his show, after Ralphie gloats about how he is going to win the award for best television host (Weird Al: "You know, you might not win. Somebody else might win instead." Uncle Ralphie: "Oh, yeah, like who? That loser Weird Al?" Weird Al: "I am NOT a loser!")
*Weird Al and The Hooded Avenger having a peanut butter pizza.
*The "Got Yard?" commercial.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I wonder if Weird Al Yankovic has ever considered doing another series, perhaps for MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, Fox or Adult Swim. I just hope that Weird Al doesn't sink as low as to make his own reality series or talk show (unless those shows were parodies of the generes). I also often wonder if Weird Al has ever thoguht about making a new movie, maybe not UHF 2, but something completely different. Maybe a musical.

I'm sure he's considered a lot of things. But I've also heard him say (or read him quoted as saying) that things like this take an enormous amount of his time to do, and he'd rather spend the time working on new music. But who knows. I suppose anything's possible--no matter what Al does, he's sure to be entertaining!