The Weird Al Show on DVD this tuesday

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Oops! Double-post!

You know, I had a dream that I double-posted...

Oh, never mind.

:wink:

NotAShrimp

Reaction score
Since there seem to be a few Wierd Al fans out here (like me :big_grin: ), I'll see if anyone can help me remember the name of a video that he produced in the 80's. It was linked together by an ALTV theme instead of MTV and I think it had some of his videos on it too. If you can help me rememebr I'd appreciate it. :smile: Also, if you do know what it is, did they ever reproduce it for DVD?

Convincing John

Reaction score
The new Weird Al album is almost ready to be released??? (eyes sproing out of head Tex Avery style). Awe-SOME!:big_grin:

Anyone who hasn't seen him in concert...man, it's truly an experience like no other...

Convincing John

Convincing John

Reaction score
Andy Wan Kenobi said:
I am very excited to buy this set. I'm a huge Weird Al fan, but I've never actually seen the show. Isn't that strange? It aired back when I was in college, and our channel showed it at 5:30 on Sunday mornings. I just never remembered to tape it. I'm thrilled to get a chance to see it, and I'll be first in line for the new album when it comes out as well.
You're in for a treat. The show's great! I've only seen a few episodes myself, so most of 'em will be new to me.

Keep an eye out for the one epsiode where Weird Al is thinking about setting a world record. There's a part in there about doughnuts that's hilarious! And his "Fred Huggins" character will be on the show too (a parody of Mister Rogers). Great stuff!

Convincing John

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Convincing John said:
The new Weird Al album is almost ready to be released??? (eyes sproing out of head Tex Avery style). Awe-SOME!:big_grin:

Anyone who hasn't seen him in concert...man, it's truly an experience like no other...

Convincing John
I'm just hoping he makes it back to Iowa City again--man, that was a great show!

:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
NotAShrimp said:
Since there seem to be a few Wierd Al fans out here (like me :big_grin: ), I'll see if anyone can help me remember the name of a video that he produced in the 80's. It was linked together by an ALTV theme instead of MTV and I think it had some of his videos on it too. If you can help me rememebr I'd appreciate it. :smile: Also, if you do know what it is, did they ever reproduce it for DVD?
I think I know what you are talking about. There is this one website called All Things Yankovic, which has a page called "This Day in Al History", which mentions all events related to Weird Al Yankovic that occurred on that day in various years. Once, when talking about the first ALTV, it mentioned some sort of ALTV promotional video. I e-mailed the webmaster asking about that video, and I was told that it was part of a series of promotional compilation videos called Video Gaggles. I was told that Video Gaggles was a collection of videos produced by the company that distributed music videos from Scotti Bros. (the company that Weird Al was under contract for at the time), and the point of Video Gaggles was to compile close to ten music videos and send the video to MTV and other music video stations, and the titles for each video had something to do with one of the songs.

When it was time to make a Video Gaggles video featuring Eat It, it was decided to have Weird Al host the compilation, and title it ALTV, making it a parody of MTV. I've read that the video had lower production values than the AL-TV specials. I've read that many of the in-between video segments were remade/ reused for the broadcast AL-TV specials. I read that this video also featured an "interview" with somebody. I have read that this video is rare and occassionally pops up on e-bay. I was told that many fans probably don't know about this.

And that's all I can think of. Since it was a promotional video then I'm not really sure how you could have seen it (unless you worked for MTV or something). There was also a video made in 1985 called The Complete Al, which was a documentary that mixed facts with fiction, and featured every Weird Al Yankovic music video made up untill that point. It has been out of print for years. Fans have been wanting it to be re-released, but so far it hasn't.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
Scary indeed. You know, I am an expert at dreams--I recommend that the next time you have a dream about, say, a lottery number, you tell me right away so that I can, um, interpret it for you. Yeah, that's the ticket...

I did have a dream that I saw a trailer for the upcomming Sesame Street Nostalgia Set, though most of the clips shown were too generic to be right about, though that dream preview did have a clip of Grover as a fireman in the skit where Kermit saw a fire in the forrest. Of course, that dream preview also had a clip were Kermit and Telly were backstage at the Muppet Theater.

Maybe I'll have more dreams about the Nostalgia set before it comes out. Or maybe I'll have a dream about The Muppet Show: Season Two, regarding a release date or whetehr anything is edited.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
Scary indeed. You know, I am an expert at dreams--I recommend that the next time you have a dream about, say, a lottery number, you tell me right away so that I can, um, interpret it for you. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Pun intended?

NotAShrimp

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
There was also a video made in 1985 called The Complete Al, which was a documentary that mixed facts with fiction, and featured every Weird Al Yankovic music video made up untill that point. It has been out of print for years. Fans have been wanting it to be re-released, but so far it hasn't.
This is definately what I was thinking of. Thank you very much minor muppetz! :smile: I remember this video a little better now. It basically goes through Al's life like a narrated documentary, but a really funny one. There was an ALTV segment I was picking out of it that I found particularly funny that I probably remembered as more important to the video than it really was. Once again Thanks! And might I add wOw! You had a serious amount of info on the promotional video. It's actually pretty interesting!