Thespians

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
BJC899 said:
yay!

Well it was about a week before we opened. It was such a stresfull time for us. In the script during the courtoom scene, the girls start screaming because they see a yellow bird. All of a sudden from the celling a yellow glove is lowered. I guess it was a had-to-be-there thing, because we didn't stop laughing for so long. It was so funny. On show night I tripped over one of the platfoarms on the stage. I was headed for my face, but someone caught me and just "talked" onstage to make it look like it was supposed to happen. :hide:

Ok, now I don't have anymore stories.

:big_grin:
Hehe, that's kinda funny. :stick_out_tongue: :smile:
Erin

SaraJayne

Reaction score
Through high school I have been involved in:

Poe's Midnight Dreary
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
The Wizard of Oz
The Crucible *favorite*
The Hobbit
Fiddler on the Roof *favorite*
A Christmas Carol
Li'l Abner

I had a lot of fun and wouldn't trade the memories for anything.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
sbrond17 said:
Through high school I have been involved in:

Poe's Midnight Dreary
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
The Wizard of Oz
The Crucible *favorite*
The Hobbit
Fiddler on the Roof *favorite*
A Christmas Carol
Li'l Abner

I had a lot of fun and wouldn't trade the memories for anything.
I just saw "The Hobbit" done by our local Youtheatre and was very disappointed. It's my favorite book. They kinda skewered it. Oh, well. I think there have been several adaptations of it for the stage. My school did "Peter Pan" and "Fiddler" while I was there. "Peter Pan" was like the most popular MPS play up to that point, and we still lost money on it. They had the fly lines that were super-expensive, and also a laser Tinkerbell, which I think was really unnecessary. It was like a laser pointed and looked like a fairy and was really expensive as well, and I think they would've done just fine with a flashlight or something. But it was a really cool production. They also used fly lines for "Wizard of Oz," which they did last year. That was a huge hit too.
Erin

BJC899

Reaction score
Woa, fly lines. That's REALLY cool!

Great list sbrond17. The memories you get from being in a show are priceless.

Jinx

Reaction score
Well, I certainly feel a bit like a dinosaur here, because I've literally been in so many plays/musicals that I cannot count them all! And some of them I've done more than one time over the years.

Certainly one of the most interesting roles that I've played is Audrey II (puppeteer) in Little Shop of Horrors...in THREE different productions.

I would advise any puppeteer that a serious study of acting is crucial to the craft. Many tend to get so caught up in the novelty of a cleverly constructed puppet that they neglect the most important aspect of perfoming: storytelling.

Case in point, Little Shop of Horrors. I've consulted on many productions, and they usually want to make the Plant the star of the show. If they get upset with me for telling them that the story belongs to Audrey and Seymour, then I know that they are not interested in what the play is really about. Don't get me wrong, I get a tremendous kick out of wowing the audience with a singing/flailing/devouring plant, but its vitally important to remember that the plant is just the catalyst for the relationship between Audrey and Seymour...the real stars of the show.

We must all remember that puppetry is theatre, and as such we need to have a strong foundation in theatre apart from puppets.

Trust me on this one, if you're a believable actor, then you can be believable as a puppeteer.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Well, auditions for "Fiddler" are one week from tomorrow. The bad thing: he's got a sore throat that he's had since before Thanksgiving!! :eek: I really hope it goes away in a couple days. It's going to be so disappointing if he can only croak for his audition. He's watched "Fiddler" four times this week - the movie twice and the video of my high school's production twice - and some scenes many more times than that. For the audition, he has to do part of the opening monologue about tradition and "If I Were a Rich Man." He's got them both memorized but is a little worried about singing with the piano accompaniment. He's hoping he can get a copy of the sheet music beforehand and practice at home with me on the piano. He's really psyched up about this. I hope he gets a part! :smile:
Erin

jeremyactor

Reaction score
I've been involved in

Moliere comedies (acting)
A night of Melodramas (and Melodramas Too! the next year)
Man of La Mancha (pit band)
Doggone Yankees (Yes, that's not the D word, not sure if that'd be blocked out) (Old Joe)
On the Town (23 parts)
Wizard of Oz (Lion)
A Christmas Carol (scrooge)
Hint! (Wrote and sound operation)
42nd Street (Light and sound design/operation)
The Little Mermaid (light and sound design/operation)
Guys and Dolls (Harry the Horse)
Cinderella (The King)
Oklahoma! (Chorus)
Oliver! (chorus)
Macbeth (set construction)
Peer Gynt (Set construction)
The Glass Menagerie (Set design)

phew... that's a lot. I wonder why I'm a theatre major.

Jeremy

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I was asked to be in "The Man of La Mancha," but I turned it down. I didn't think The Man would appreciate me being in him like that. You know, the whole 'possession' thing and all that, and it's heck getting exorcised!

Actually, the director saw me as Tin Man in Wizard of Oz and asked me after the show. I didn't go in because it didn't interest me. I did do a pre-audition audition for You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown, but the director seemed to have his picks of the folks who were there already (he'd worked with them all before) so I didn't go to the regular auditions; however, a friend's girlfriend who was there for the role of Lucy (and who LOOKED like Lucy {she knew me because he told her "Look for the guy who looks like Charlie Brown}) said that at the regular auditions the director said, "Where's Kevin? [He's not here.] Shame, really. He could have been useful!" They said I could ahve had the role (likely). I also wanted to introduce puppetry of Snoopy and Woodstock into the play--they can't, though; copyright reasons.

Raisin

Reaction score
Acting is definitely what I do best:

with a community theater group
Oliver!
Camelot
You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
Annie
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
The Music Man
Grease!
Once Upon a Mattress
Annie Get Your Gun
Lil Abner
The Wizard of Oz

with my school
Rumors
Rodgers and Hammersteins Cinderella
Macbeth

and I have auditions for Guys & Dolls in a few weeks.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
fragglerockr said:
Ok here goes...

I have been in productions of:

"Juvie"
"Once Upon A Matress"
"Godspell"
"Hello Dolly"
"The Wizard of OZ"
"Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat"
"You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown"

plus a ton of other music revues, plays at church, and about a billion puppet shows!!!

Fragglerockr

Once upon a matterss?! who did you play? I LOVED doing that play, it was the highlight of my HS years, I was the Minstrel (a girl one, lol, they had to change it cuz well... all girls and 4 boys, and 3 of them were Junior High-ers, and the parts they played were the King, Dauntles, Sir Harry, and the Wizard, rest were girls, and well if you have to sing all the time, its kinda hard to play a guy, especialy if they are not good singers lol)