They need to make Elmo's world its own show!

Labyrinth Fairy

Reaction score
elmo is cute, he is. I have nothing wrong with him, but- he is no Cookie Monster........:crazy:

BEAR

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
stupid idea! just because you don't like today's SS doesn't mean it should end. kids like it otherwise it wouldn't be on today so just cut it out!

MB, calling his idea stupid wasn't called for and was not nice, but then again we are used to it by now from you.

Moving on...I don't believe SS should end now. i don't think it will ever end so long as it has an audience and the children are benefitting from it. Why end a good thing when it is constantly evolving? Sesame Street will never be outdated because there is always new things happening. They are still at the top of the childrens shows. If they did end, how would you propose they close an over 36 year run? It would have to be the show of all shows. A full couple hour long special if you ask me. Although I don't see it ending for many many years if at all.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I agree with Danny Horn (or he agrees with me - one of the two)

Let me get this on the table to begin with - I love Elmo. I love Elmo’s World. I love classic Sesame Street. I love modern Sesame Street. I love all the other Sesame characters. I want Sesame Street to be/stay a good quality show for today’s youth. I want to be able to keep watching (and enjoying) Sesame Street too.

Now, when it comes to the Elmo, I think Danny Horn (webmaster of ToughPigs.com) said it best in his week with Elmo editorial (I suggest you all read it, as it expresses exactly how I feel). Here are some quick excerpts or “sound-bytes” from the article to get you thinking:

“The most striking difference between Muppet Fans and the rest of humanity is Elmo. Muppet Fans, on the whole, hate Elmo. And everybody else loves Elmo.”

“For Muppet Fans, the two main issues with Elmo are as follows. Issue Number One: Elmo's taken all the focus away from the other Sesame Street characters, who Muppet Fans have a lot of affection for… Issue Number Two: Elmo's always happy and cheerful. Other Sesame characters get to be vulnerable, lonely, frustrated or grouchy, but Elmo is just a one-note tickle machine, and that's boring.”

But in Elmo's World, he's engaging kids, and teaching them critical thinking skills -- research skills, how do we find out more skills -- through the medium of riding ponies and calling people "buckaroo." Not only is that a deeply, profoundly, sincerely Good Thing To Do, but it's also fun to watch.”

Below are some other good ToughPigs editorials on the subject of change on Sesame Street and/or Elmo (all of which Danny seems to have taken the words right out of my mouth to some degree). I recommend taking a look at them, as I'm not going to sit here and restate the same thing for you right now. (Note: I don't always agree with Danny - such as his stance on Mother Goose Stories - but in the case of Sesame Street, we seem to be on the same page.)

My Week With Sesame Street (Danny’s first look at Elmo’s World on Sesame Street) http://www.toughpigs.com/myweeksesame.htm

My Week With Elmo (Danny tests the Elmo is bad theory fans have)
http://www.toughpigs.com/myweekelmo.htm

My Week With Sesame 2.0 (Danny looks at Sesame Street after the format change)
http://www.toughpigs.com/myweeksesame2.htm

My Week With Sesame Street 2003 (Danny looks at the 2003 season of Sesame Street)
http://www.toughpigs.com/myweeksesame2003.htm

My Week...Elmo's World Happy Holidays (Danny & Kynan look at Elmo's World)
http://www.toughpigs.com/myweekxmasvacation05.htm

ToughPigs My Week Directory (a list of all of Danny's "weeks")
http://www.toughpigs.com/myweekcontents.htm

Rosewood

Reaction score
A similar comparison

BEAR said:
Moving on...I don't believe SS should end now. i don't think it will ever end so long as it has an audience and the children are benefitting from it. Why end a good thing when it is constantly evolving? Sesame Street will never be outdated because there is always new things happening. They are still at the top of the childrens shows. If they did end, how would you propose they close an over 36 year run? It would have to be the show of all shows. A full couple hour long special if you ask me. Although I don't see it ending for many many years if at all.
I, also, don't see SS ending any time soon. But, then again, I never saw "Little House on the Prairie" ending, either. (And they ended their show by blowing everything up!):smirk:

F

furryredmonster

Sesame Street needs to be there... who knows what kids would watch on tv with out it!!! No kid needs to watch violece or PG13 movies just because Sesame street is off air... thats just not right..

Even if you do not support there idea... you shouldnt call it stupid. Everyone should have the freedom to post their oppinions with out it being called stupid. After all it is America!! (for most of us anyway :wink:)

Censored

Reaction score
One reason Sesame Street may never end is because it has the luxury of just changing the cast as it needs to. Another show that seems to have an eternal life span because it has this same ability (as different as it may be from Sesame Street) is Saturday Night Live. Sitcoms or dramas (with the exception of soap operas), on the other hand, that are often based on particular actors, cannot really continue once the stars leave, retire, die, etc.

Personally, I think Sesame Street has done enough to stand on its laurels in reruns from 1969 to 2005, over and over in syndication. But, my fear is that this may not happen if the show was canceled and it may just fade into obscurity along with other great and classic children's programs like Captain Kangaroo, Lamb Chop's Play Along, and The Electric Company (although it looks like that one might be making a comeback on DVD).

BEAR

Reaction score
furryredmonster said:
Sesame Street needs to be there... who knows what kids would watch on tv with out it!!! No kid needs to watch violece or PG13 movies just because Sesame street is off air... thats just not right..

Even if you do not support there idea... you shouldnt call it stupid. Everyone should have the freedom to post their oppinions with out it being called stupid. After all it is America!! (for most of us anyway :wink:)

Thats right, Furryred. Carroll Spinney once said that they don't like to use the word "stupid" on Sesame Street and I like to try and follow that when discussing it. Instead, just say you don't think it is a good idea. But don't say someone is stupid or has a stupid idea, please. It leads to sour things. Anyway...

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
One reason Sesame Street may never end is because it has the luxury of just changing the cast as it needs to. Another show that seems to have an eternal life span because it has this same ability (as different as it may be from Sesame Street) is Saturday Night Live. Sitcoms or dramas (with the exception of soap operas), on the other hand, that are often based on particular actors, cannot really continue once the stars leave, retire, die, etc.

Personally, I think Sesame Street has done enough to stand on its laurels in reruns from 1969 to 2005, over and over in syndication. But, my fear is that this may not happen if the show was canceled and it may just fade into obscurity along with other great and classic children's programs like Captain Kangaroo, Lamb Chop's Play Along, and The Electric Company (although it looks like that one might be making a comeback on DVD).
Yes, SS has successfully been able to change along with society. The characters have been allowed to change and age along with it too. This has been happening since the beginning. Sesame Street acts as any real neighborhood does. The community changes. People move away, new families move in, kids grow up, babies are born, patriarchs die. All of these have been demonstrated on the Street. It is never the exact same neighborhood every year. Of course, some people remain such as Bob, Susan and Gordon. These things that have happened on Sesame Street have been seen on my own street where I live. We had a nice old man who used to grow oranges in his back yard die when I was about Big Bird's age. I grew up here and all of my brother and my childhood neighbor friends have moved. In the last few years though, newly weds and families with toddlers have moved into the neighborhood. One thing has remained though and that is us. My parents bought this house just after they got married about 27 years ago and my brother and I were raised in this neighborhood. My parents still live here and I am sure they will not be moving any time soon. Sometimes I refer to my mom and dad as the Susan and Gordon of our neighborhood because when they moved here they were in their mid 20s and are now still here at 50. They have seen all this change in a great neighborhood.
Sesame Street is just like that. Not just with humans but also with Muppets. We need new characters to keep things fresh and interesting and whatever society and education demands as time goes on. Education is always finding new methods of teaching. SS has lasted this long, they can last another 30 years.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
GeeBee said:

well as far as i'm concerned why it's still running is every child needs to learn things like counting, the alphabet and other things that the show teaches. so as long as there's an audience for it, it should remain on the air.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
furryredmonster said:

Not trying to start an arugument here, or git off subject, and I hate to breake the news, but people do have the right the call anyone opionion whatever they like, even if I do not agree with that or do that myself. Of corse, there is a nicer way to go about diagreeing then using such harsh language.

And I don't think that Sesame Street ending would be quite that crucial.