They need to make Elmo's world its own show!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Let me get this on the table to begin with - I love Elmo. I love Elmo’s World. I love classic Sesame Street. I love modern Sesame Street. I love all the other Sesame characters. I want Sesame Street to be/stay a good quality show for today’s youth. I want to be able to keep watching (and enjoying) Sesame Street too.

Now, when it comes to the Elmo, I think Danny Horn (webmaster of ToughPigs.com) said it best in his week with Elmo editorial (I suggest you all read it, as it expresses exactly how I feel). Here are some quick excerpts or “sound-bytes” from the article to get you thinking:

“The most striking difference between Muppet Fans and the rest of humanity is Elmo. Muppet Fans, on the whole, hate Elmo. And everybody else loves Elmo.”

“For Muppet Fans, the two main issues with Elmo are as follows. Issue Number One: Elmo's taken all the focus away from the other Sesame Street characters, who Muppet Fans have a lot of affection for… Issue Number Two: Elmo's always happy and cheerful. Other Sesame characters get to be vulnerable, lonely, frustrated or grouchy, but Elmo is just a one-note tickle machine, and that's boring.”

But in Elmo's World, he's engaging kids, and teaching them critical thinking skills -- research skills, how do we find out more skills -- through the medium of riding ponies and calling people "buckaroo." Not only is that a deeply, profoundly, sincerely Good Thing To Do, but it's also fun to watch.”

Below are some other good ToughPigs editorials on the subject of change on Sesame Street and/or Elmo (all of which Danny seems to have taken the words right out of my mouth to some degree). I recommend taking a look at them, as I'm not going to sit here and restate the same thing for you right now. (Note: I don't always agree with Danny - such as his stance on Mother Goose Stories - but in the case of Sesame Street, we seem to be on the same page.)

My Week With Sesame Street (Danny’s first look at Elmo’s World on Sesame Street) http://www.toughpigs.com/myweeksesame.htm

My Week With Elmo (Danny tests the Elmo is bad theory fans have)
http://www.toughpigs.com/myweekelmo.htm

My Week With Sesame 2.0 (Danny looks at Sesame Street after the format change)
http://www.toughpigs.com/myweeksesame2.htm

My Week With Sesame Street 2003 (Danny looks at the 2003 season of Sesame Street)
http://www.toughpigs.com/myweeksesame2003.htm

My Week...Elmo's World Happy Holidays (Danny & Kynan look at Elmo's World)
http://www.toughpigs.com/myweekxmasvacation05.htm

ToughPigs My Week Directory (a list of all of Danny's "weeks")
http://www.toughpigs.com/myweekcontents.htm
I have read the man's articals and and what he says makes a lot of sense to me.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
One reason Sesame Street may never end is because it has the luxury of just changing the cast as it needs to. Another show that seems to have an eternal life span because it has this same ability (as different as it may be from Sesame Street) is Saturday Night Live. Sitcoms or dramas (with the exception of soap operas), on the other hand, that are often based on particular actors, cannot really continue once the stars leave, retire, die, etc.

Personally, I think Sesame Street has done enough to stand on its laurels in reruns from 1969 to 2005, over and over in syndication. But, my fear is that this may not happen if the show was canceled and it may just fade into obscurity along with other great and classic children's programs like Captain Kangaroo, Lamb Chop's Play Along, and The Electric Company (although it looks like that one might be making a comeback on DVD).
This is one of the reasons that Elmo needs his own show, to continue the SS franchise, and if it doesen't get played in syndication, than at least it had it's time in the sun (so to speak) and a 36 or so run, which I think is better then the fate of most shows.

BEAR

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
This is one of the reasons that Elmo needs his own show, to continue the SS franchise, and if it doesen't get played in syndication, than at least it had it's time in the sun (so to speak) and a 36 or so run, which I think is better then the fate of most shows.

Longest running program in television history.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Actually, I thing that honor gose to Guiding Light, or Meet The Press, But is't definitely on of them.

Rosewood

Reaction score
I don't see "Elmo's World" leaving SS any time soon.

"Elmo's World" was the brain child of todays SS researchers. They came up with this hypothesis that "kids who are watching SS TODAY are much younger than they used to be, and therefor have shorter attention spans." They planted this little seed to be the base of all their present actions of today. It's because of this that SS now has the drab, predictable structure that it does. It is also because of this "theory" that "Elmo's World" basically takes up nearly half of the SS program. They (SW) have stated that, "because of the short attention spans of the kids making up the majority of the SS audience today, (that being about 30 minutes), that "Elmo's World" already acts as a kind of "show of its own" and is the one thing that keeps kids watching SS for the whole hour." Since "Elmo's World" was created, they have been following this theory as if it were gosple doctrine. And the researchers behind this "new discovery" are not going to let anything happen that could possibly "disproove" their theory, if they can help it. (After all, they have jobs to think about!) These people are going to hold on to this theory (no matter how flawed it could possibly be) untill they breath their last dying breath. To the people of SW, seperating "Elmo's World" from the SS mainstream would be like seperating siamese twins that depend on each other for survival: the life of one, if not both programs would be in grave danger. To seperate the programs would also put a divide in the viewers, possibly lowering the number for SS, and forcing "Elmo's World" to start building a name and reputation for itself. And I don't think SW has any near future plans of changing something that is presently their mainstay of income. Right now they have both types of SS viewers (those who like the old format vs. those who prefere the new) wrapped around their little finger, and I don't think they have any wish to give that power up or jepordize its existance.

Censored

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Not trying to start an arugument here, or git off subject, and I hate to breake the news, but people do have the right the call anyone opionion whatever they like, even if I do not agree with that or do that myself.
I'm not so sure about that, Ilikemuppets; it might be against the rules to use degrading comments towards others or their ideas. I believe similar issues were addressed by moderators in the past. This is a private board and the people who run it don't have to allow people to say anything that they don't want them to. The First Amendment only protects us from government regulation of our speech, not regulation in private domains. I think people tend to forget that. The bottom line is that it's the moderators' call, not ours. I think the moderators have asked us to report any posts that we feel is in violation of the rules. That's probably the best route to take.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
"Elmo's World" was the brain child of todays SS researchers. They came up with this hypothesis that "kids who are watching SS TODAY are much younger than they used to be, and therefor have shorter attention spans." They planted this little seed to be the base of all their present actions of today. It's because of this that SS now has the drab, predictable structure that it does. It is also because of this "theory" that "Elmo's World" basically takes up nearly half of the SS program. They (SW) have stated that, "because of the short attention spans of the kids making up the majority of the SS audience today, (that being about 30 minutes), that "Elmo's World" already acts as a kind of "show of its own" and is the one thing that keeps kids watching SS for the whole hour." Since "Elmo's World" was created, they have been following this theory as if it were gosple doctrine. And the researchers behind this "new discovery" are not going to let anything happen that could possibly "disproove" their theory, if they can help it. (After all, they have jobs to think about!) These people are going to hold on to this theory (no matter how flawed it could possibly be) untill they breath their last dying breath. To the people of SW, seperating "Elmo's World" from the SS mainstream would be like seperating siamese twins that depend on each other for survival: the life of one, if not both programs would be in grave danger. To seperate the programs would also put a divide in the viewers, possibly lowering the number for SS, and forcing "Elmo's World" to start building a name and reputation for itself. And I don't think SW has any near future plans of changing something that is presently their mainstay of income. Right now they have both types of SS viewers (those who like the old format vs. those who prefere the new) wrapped around their little finger, and I don't think they have any wish to give that power up or jepordize its existance.
Well said. I believe that children's attention spans are DIRECTLY related to the fact that we are having more cases of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in children. Just an extension of the facts (I truly like to do this, try to extend the facts to back up a certain fact of life). I am afraid to say this, but the increase in cases of ASD is directly related to the US FDA ignoring thymerisol in our children's vaccines, which is a known neurotoxin. Basically, thymerisol is a brain poison (for those of us who need smaller words). I think that we could be one voice and implore the US FDA to stop ignoring thymerisol in our children's vaccines.

Also, abortion is again becoming a major sticking point. But why do we bicker about abortion when we ignore the real problem: unwanted pregnancies? Don't ask me why the Evangelists have sent our "republic-if-we-can-keep-it" to (the h-word) in a handbasket as quickly as it has. Roe V Wade is a major issue, but we do not need to be ignoring a bigger problem than abortion: unwanted pregnancies. Maybe we could get a SS for adults where we talk like grown-ups on topics such as abortion/unwanted pregnancies, birth control, politics, and religion (plus acceptance and tolerance of ALL religions, isn't this what the Muppets are about?)

Let's get the word out about acceptance, tolerance, and other stuff that is accepting of everything our nation was founded upon: life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, AND our freedoms. I think everyone who has died already in Iraq and Afghanistan has died in vain, as our nation is bitterly divided along party lines. I do not go for this. When the US had the Articles of Confederation, there was as little government as possible, so idiots like a certain president wouldn't come to power and create a "pro-life ruling class." ********. May anyone who thinks abortions are immoral realize that fetuses have NO SOULS! I believe that souls come into a baby at birth. If one has an abortion, they are doing a good thing, as the baby they're killing aren't even human. They talk about saving souls, but this is going way too far.

I apologize for my political ramblings, but I cannot stand on the sidelines while this country goes to pot (literally!). :big_grin:

BJ

Rosewood

Reaction score
I appreciate the "well said" but........

erniebert1234ss said:
Well said. I believe that children's attention spans are DIRECTLY related to the fact that we are having more cases of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in children. Just an extension of the facts (I truly like to do this, try to extend the facts to back up a certain fact of life). I am afraid to say this, but the increase in cases of ASD is directly related to the US FDA ignoring thymerisol in our children's vaccines, which is a known neurotoxin. Basically, thymerisol is a brain poison (for those of us who need smaller words). I think that we could be one voice and implore the US FDA to stop ignoring thymerisol in our children's vaccines.

Also, abortion is again becoming a major sticking point. But why do we bicker about abortion when we ignore the real problem: unwanted pregnancies? Don't ask me why the Evangelists have sent our "republic-if-we-can-keep-it" to (the h-word) in a handbasket as quickly as it has. Roe V Wade is a major issue, but we do not need to be ignoring a bigger problem than abortion: unwanted pregnancies. Maybe we could get a SS for adults where we talk like grown-ups on topics such as abortion/unwanted pregnancies, birth control, politics, and religion (plus acceptance and tolerance of ALL religions, isn't this what the Muppets are about?)

Let's get the word out about acceptance, tolerance, and other stuff that is accepting of everything our nation was founded upon: life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, AND our freedoms. I think everyone who has died already in Iraq and Afghanistan has died in vain, as our nation is bitterly divided along party lines. I do not go for this. When the US had the Articles of Confederation, there was as little government as possible, so idiots like a certain president wouldn't come to power and create a "pro-life ruling class." ********. May anyone who thinks abortions are immoral realize that fetuses have NO SOULS! I believe that souls come into a baby at birth. If one has an abortion, they are doing a good thing, as the baby they're killing aren't even human. They talk about saving souls, but this is going way too far.

I apologize for my political ramblings, but I cannot stand on the sidelines while this country goes to pot (literally!). :big_grin:

BJ
I appreciate your opening statement, that being "well said". But other than that, I'm afraid I don't see where any of these other subjects are being addresed here. I willingly aknowledge your opinions and points of view, but I think we realy need to stay on task here and stick with the original subject.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think sesame workshop said that Elmo's world may be the fate of of Sesame Street's future after the show end's.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I'm not so sure about that, Ilikemuppets; it might be against the rules to use degrading comments towards others or their ideas. I believe similar issues were addressed by moderators in the past. This is a private board and the people who run it don't have to allow people to say anything that they don't want them to. The First Amendment only protects us from government regulation of our speech, not regulation in private domains. I think people tend to forget that. The bottom line is that it's the moderators' call, not ours. I think the moderators have asked us to report any posts that we feel is in violation of the rules. That's probably the best route to take.
OK.