They've only Got One Another: A Muppet Christmas Story

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Sadly, this review will not be as detailed as you deserve, because I seem to have caught the same nasty bug my dad's been fighting, and spending eleven hours in bed does not change the fact that I feel LOUSY and my brain function is minimal... but anyway.

Poor, poor Muppets!

The Newsman bit was lovely. And I just adore that Piggy was the one holding Robin while Kermit was on the phone.

Ah, but everybody separating... that hurts. At least they all have somewhere else to go... I LOVE Gonzo flying on airplane wings.

Also... you referenced my story. And I probably wouldn't have noticed it if the snowballs hadn't been fake. But anyway... Thank you.

And Rowlf, suspecting that Kermit won't be going back to the swamp. I suspect he's right.

And the Uncle Deadly scene was WONDERFUL.

And I want a nap. But I would settle for more story instead.

We Got Us

Reaction score
Count! I fall at your feet again for reviewing (and liking!) and I have two questions for you that I figure being one of the oldies around here you might be able to answer: 1. What exactly is Hensonville (is like Famrville? :shifty:) 2. Would you (or any other ambitious fan-fic readers know of a story in which Miss Piggy's background was explored a little? That's not a dead give-away for anything just an idea I was tossing around, but it seems like what would be a fairly common one. Since I've already started an idea and then found out someone had done the same thing already, I wanna make sure that if it ever materialized I wouldn't be stealing anything from anyone. So yeah, that would be helpful :big_grin:.

Sadly, this review will not be as detailed as you deserve, because I seem to have caught the same nasty bug my dad's been fighting, and spending eleven hours in bed does not change the fact that I feel LOUSY and my brain function is minimal... but anyway./quote]
Awww....I know how you feel. Had it about a month ago, for two weeks, sounded like Skeeter....but anyway. It ain't fun, and now half my family has it, so get better soon! :concern:

Also... you referenced my story. And I probably wouldn't have noticed it if the snowballs hadn't been fake. But anyway... Thank you..
Your welcome! If it hadn't been 12:00 in the morning and I had my senses about me, I would have winked at that and then begged your and Bo's forgiveness for using Jimmy and Leaper's names without permission. :big_grin: At any rate, I ended up staying awake (at least partially) till 4:40 in the morning, and just got up and brekkers. So yeah, I think my head sympathizes with yours. :ouch:

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Ooooooh!!!! Oh Wigitus! you've made my day complete!!! Glad to see our dear friend newsie has made his appearence with a bang! Sorry, bad pun.:embarrassed: And then Henry and me! I've never had a guy's hand in mine before, squeeeeeee!! Uncle deadly appears to be more creepy than before, but I like it so!:smile: There should be an uncle deadly sticker smiley... I just realize we don't have one. I hope everything works out for this lovely Muppet family... Oh! and I'm working on an epilogue and your story with Scooter!!:big_grin:

We Got Us

Reaction score
Glad you like! :big_grin: Wonderful girl you.

Uncle deadly appears to be more creepy than before, but I like it so!:smile: There should be an uncle deadly sticker smiley... I just realize we don't have one.
There was a whole thread of proposed smilies that got kinda shut down because the guy who made said they had to draw the line somewhere. :smirk: Oh well, we can hope for the future. Meanwhile, allow me to say: E.P.I.L.O.G.U.E.!!!!!!!! :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hey Wiggoo (aka. the girl with a dozen nicknames), regarding Hensonville, it has a few meanings. I think it started out as a fictional location where the boardinghouse, theatre, etc could be located near each other without specifically locating them in LA or New York. However, it also refers to the universe in which a number of different fanfics on the MC board take place -- i.e. the universe in which Scooter is going out with a character named Sara (Sarah? I forget), where Rowlf is dating a lady cat named Wanda, and similar Fanfic only established events have taken place and are regarded as fanfic cannon (so to speak). Ed would certainly be the one to give you a more detailed description of how that world works.

I prefer to set my own fanfics either in their own (personal) established cannon (i.e. all my Alternate Universe stories connect together) while some others I just create a new world for (such as the half finished Sam and Janice romance). However, certain events often happen within all the universes...i.e. Cifford will probably be fixing a light at some point in almost all Fanfics here at MC.

Similarly, the fact that someone else may have examined Miss Piggy's backstory does not for a moment mean that you cannot post your own thoughts about what could have happened in her past to bring her to the point that she is at right now. I can't tell you how many Piggy/Kermit weddings and engagements I have read...and each one adds something to the way I see the characters...but I don't see any of them as stealing from one another.

On ANOTHER note, I have read your latest update and really enjoyed it (enjoy may be too strong a word since it was really sad at its core!) My main concern was for Beauregard, because as far as I know he has very little in the way of family or friends, so I was pleased to see that he was happily saying Merry Christmas to the others. I guess he may get to the end of the road and totally forget where he was going, but that's okay; he spent years cleaning a broken theatre according to the new movie and was still happy at the end of it! He's easy.

I liked the detail of Fozzie joining his ma in Honalulu. But I hate that they all have to spend Christmas apart!

I laughed out-loud at Newsman's shirt being alight, and also paused to note: "How fantastic, a joke and twist that could only work in written word, very good!"

EDIT: Regarding Jimmy and Leaper!!! I am so used to seeing them these days that I totally forget that they came from original stories! You are ALWAYS welcome to them. :big_grin:

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
If Beau or another person would review, but I'm tempted to brake that promise....:wink:

We Got Us

Reaction score
However, it also refers to the universe in which a number of different fanfics on the MC board take place -- i.e. the universe in which Scooter is going out with a character named Sara (Sarah? I forget),
Meh...not sure I'm interested anymore. :wink: No, not really, I'll look into it. Sam dated Janice?! My whole universe just fell apart. What is the name of that fic?!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Meh...not sure I'm interested anymore. :wink: No, not really, I'll look into it. Sam dated Janice?! My whole universe just fell apart. What is the name of that fic?!
Haha. Yes, well, I based that fanfic on a dream (yes, a dream about Sam and Janice. it's good to be in my head) but I know for sure that I didn't finish the story. It was about Janice going through a midlife crisis at the same time as Sam was also going through a midlife crisis and how they helped each other back onto the right path. That the same story that had Sam Eagle room sharing with Scooter I think. It will have been named after a line from Rainbow Connection, but I can't recall which at present. Stay tuned :stick_out_tongue:

I found it. But I cannot vouch for it, because I wrote it so long ago (yes, now I feel old). http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/wished-on-a-morning-star-a-sam-and-janice-story.26048/

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
2. Would you (or any other ambitious fan-fic readers know of a story in which Miss Piggy's background was explored a little? That's not a dead give-away for anything just an idea I was tossing around, but it seems like what would be a fairly common one. Since I've already started an idea and then found out someone had done the same thing already, I wanna make sure that if it ever materialized I wouldn't be stealing anything from anyone. So yeah, that would be helpful :big_grin:.
Well hold on now. I need to get up on my soapbox while my nose is still functional (thanks to the steam from a lovely hot shower).

Just because one fanfic writer puts an idea out there doesn't mean every other fanfic writer has to abide by that, or can't explore it in a different way. Heck, the same fanfic writer doesn't even have to abide by their own ideas from previous stories! In tales not posted on MC, I've had Piggy growing up on a farm with a mother she doesn't like and her father having passed away when she was young. In other stories, I have her discover that her father wasn't really dead after all--nor was he quite the wonderful person she'd always remembered. I've written stories in which Skeeter exists, and stories in which she does not. I've had stories in which Scooter was being raised by his uncle, and then ran away from home because his uncle was going to send him to a military boarding school. I've had stories in which Robin has lots of siblings and his parents, Jimmy and Leaper, are divorced. I've had stories in which Robin was an only child and his parents had passed away.

I don't know of any stories on MC exploring Piggy's past, incidentally. I know Leyla (a member who hasn't been around in AGES, unfortunately) had plans for an intricate story looking into all of that... but even if that story had been posted, that wouldn't prevent anyone else from looking at Piggy's past in a different way. I know there's a story somewhere looking into Fozzie's past, but that wouldn't stop me if I someday decided to actually write and post the idea I once had for Fozzie and Kermit to start on a road trip in search of Fozzie's dad. ReneeLouvier has a whole series exploring Scooter's past and establishing him with a particular love interest, but that's not to say someone else can't create other characters for him to date or give him a different back story--in fact, several people have, and I have plans to do so as well (someday, maybe).

The bottom line is, write what you want to write, regardless of what others have written before you. Personally, I love seeing different ideas about the Muppets' families, and how they got to where they are, and why this and why that and why the other thing... Heck, part of the reason I abandoned my old Flippersteps series is that I kept coming up with other ways I could have done it (which is why I have documents with titles like "re-flipperstep" and "re-re-flipperstep" and "re-flip," not to mention all the other stories I have of "how the Muppets got together" and/or "the previous love interest Kermit had that keeps him from committing to Piggy").

And if you want to borrow ideas from other fanfic writers on MC, that's generally okay, too. It's nice if you ask permission first, but as a whole, most of us don't mind, with or without permission. (I certainly don't mind you using Jimmy and Leaper, and I'm pretty sure Beau would agree.)

And now I'm getting congested again, and I think I've made my point anyway... So I'm going to put my soapbox away now and get myself some hot tea.

Edit: Ziffled several times over! But I was right--Beau doesn't mind other people using Jimmy and Leaper. :wink:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks go to Bo (Beau?) and Toga for their posts.

Since you've gotten probably the best answer for your second question from that girl with the three minds, I'll go for #1.
There once were some fics posted here at MC.
:concern: Some very funny fics...
No, that's another song. Erm, it started with some of the MC members being given a shop or two that they'd be in charge of in that fic. Then we got to putting 2 + 2 together and mapping the town where all these shops were located, giving it the name of Hensonville. Sounds like a good name for a city predominated by Muppets living there with other peoples, along with their boarding house and theater. From there, it evolved into the game threads over the last two years where the HV town overlay overtook what used to be the MC Dorms (there's another story in how that got started). We generally base our stories in that realm with the understanding that further expansion or new establishments will pop up from time to time with new fics.
If you need further help, let us know. :wisdom: