Threadless Muppet T-Shirt Design Challenge

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks :oops:Oh, wow that's weird...I originally though the site waited for it to be the same time all over the country, but only doing it on their coast is just silly. I was trying to do it on their time because my friend who helped me with the photoshop and the colors is on that coast and we saw Threadless were mostly based in Chicago, but that's only after snooping on the main site. It should really say that somewhere next time!

Oh, cool! I would've loved to see it back then too....especially when it looked better than YouTube too. I do like that VHS look so I can take it while it's all there is. I love that too! It's also kind of cool that it's like the "Muppet Show of the Future," with similar skits and set-up and everything, but faster paced, a little weirder and showing off all the technology they couldn't pull off before. After seeing the Muppet TV segments and the Inner Tube pilot, I really do wish there was more of those. Zondra's actually my favorite so far (it's a great puppet and her voice is just hilarious to me...I got that "Bizzo" username from trying to find more of her and seeing that "Real World" Muppets Tonight sketch) next to Digit and Bean, and I still need to see more of the others, though I liked what I've seen. I put a bunch them in my entry too, because I'm guessing Disney owns them too, given how some of the characters cross-over. :shifty:
And yeah, I saw that one on one of it's rare Nick at Night re-runs years ago, stayed up the whole night for it...I know I liked it, but I need to see it again. :smile:

I liked yours! It made me laugh, I just love Carl's crazy face and captured it perfect here (your picture reminded me I forgot Carl in my entry, but that's before I realized he was in the movie...the Afgan hound too, which is odd because she's one of my favorite puppets)....Also, I am partial to penguins. :zany: And impressive too, I could really see you doing some. :big_grin:
Aw thanks, again youre too kind! Just gave ya a 5. Though again, I have to say Im proud of my "1's", heh. I peaked on your profile, hard to believe there's creativity in Reno! Im in Sacramento, which uh...is not exactly a hotbed of artistic activity.
I find it amusing I was late submitting my more fan favorite design by a few minutes, but given the cobbled together lulzy nature I don't care. I just want someone from MC to win:smile:

Yes! "Muppets from the future"...thats precisely what I described them as. I had my new Muppet awakening in 1988, around the time ABC reaired the MFC special and I had happened upon the beautiful 1978 illustrated Muppet Show book. I had seen Muppets Take Manhattan opening day in theaters and even skipped out on friends going to see Transformers the movie(the only good one!) as I was too busy reading Fraggle books at Waldens across the mall. But it was 1988 where my renewed passion was sparked, and then summer of 1989(when I was 11) when I really was in awe from the short lived "Muppet TV" JHH programs. Early 1990 was a great time to, or what I call 'pre jim henson passing" time...as we saw the Cosby program and the absolutely wonderful Muppets @Walt Disney World special. If you havent seen it already check it out. The Muppets.com and youtube shorts also really brilliant.
Yeah Zondra rocks...I think her and Chip are in MFS if Im not mistaken?
I think its bullocks Disney isnt shining the light on non Piggy female characters. They really need the teenage Skeeter as seen in the comics, or bring in Zondra...imagine the cool hot topic merch for the gothy invader zim punk kid crowd!

I first saw Carl on Muppets Tonight in 1996, then later via a tape trade of early 90's Jim Henson business meeting tapes. I had no clue that by 2008 theyd make him into a focal point character with all the viral videos. He's just an amazing puppet and truly embodies the more wacky surreal aspects of Muppetdom. People forget the Muppets have been around a whopping 56 years...that means in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's we've had the Muppets. 7 decades have been touched by the felt hand of epicness. Yet somehow...Muppetfandom online or off seems rather...underground and niche. Perhaps...not for long though.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
If Jamie's shirt wins, I'll never wear it because I'll be locked in my room studying it like a religious text until the end of days!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah....and I think some of my friends did that nonsens though I keep telling them not to, because I know some of the other artists and I know what it feels like to log in and see 1's after trying so hard to complete my entry all week. :grouchy: Especially because last time I checked yesterday I already have more ones than fives. Luckily at least people here are nice, and hopefully that'll tip the votes back in a positive way (I've been trying to too). That's the one thing I really don't like about this whole contest, it's worrying too.

And sweet, I didn't know Gaffer is on there too! :big_grin:
Yup! Gaffer's there. I have Waldo in that spot on the other side that I'll show later this week.

I'm just hoping the 1's for everybody just kind of even out eventually after the initial uploading of new designs. I'm not sure what the finish line is going to be like for this contest.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I noticed that voting ends at 11:59pm Sunday so there's an extra sneak peek of my one-a-day that I cut together:

This was all drawn by hand then traced again in vector in order to allow printing at any size without any loss in quality.

If the eyes are the balconies, the head is the stage and the mouth is the orchestra pit, I guess the collar is kind of the mosh pit!
Luncheon Counter Monster! Gaffer! Uncle Deadly!

Wow! Jamie, you are just doing some amazingly awesome work! I LOVE THIS! You are a fantastic artist! You definetely deserve to win! Each character looks so fantastic! Oh, I just can't get enough!!!!!!!!!!!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Luncheon Counter Monster! Gaffer! Uncle Deadly!

Wow! Jamie, you are just doing some amazingly awesome work! I LOVE THIS! You are a fantastic artist! You definetely deserve to win! Each character looks so fantastic! Oh, I just can't get enough!!!!!!!!!!!
:oops:thanks!! That means a lot and I really tried to get them right. Pepe, Gonzo and Piggy are always the most noticeable when they're off. Well, actually Kermit too, strangely. There's a nuance to his mouth and head shape that can go horribly wrong if the artist takes the design for granted. Most entries nailed him spot on!

Keep your eyes peeled for the other 5 close-ups this week.

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Aw thanks, again youre too kind! Just gave ya a 5. Though again, I have to say Im proud of my "1's", heh. I peaked on your profile, hard to believe there's creativity in Reno! Im in Sacramento, which uh...is not exactly a hotbed of artistic activity.
I find it amusing I was late submitting my more fan favorite design by a few minutes, but given the cobbled together lulzy nature I don't care. I just want someone from MC to win:smile:

Yes! "Muppets from the future"...thats precisely what I described them as. I had my new Muppet awakening in 1988, around the time ABC reaired the MFC special and I had happened upon the beautiful 1978 illustrated Muppet Show book. I had seen Muppets Take Manhattan opening day in theaters and even skipped out on friends going to see Transformers the movie(the only good one!) as I was too busy reading Fraggle books at Waldens across the mall. But it was 1988 where my renewed passion was sparked, and then summer of 1989(when I was 11) when I really was in awe from the short lived "Muppet TV" JHH programs. Early 1990 was a great time to, or what I call 'pre jim henson passing" time...as we saw the Cosby program and the absolutely wonderful Muppets @Walt Disney World special. If you havent seen it already check it out. The Muppets.com and youtube shorts also really brilliant.
Yeah Zondra rocks...I think her and Chip are in MFS if Im not mistaken?
I think its bullocks Disney isnt shining the light on non Piggy female characters. They really need the teenage Skeeter as seen in the comics, or bring in Zondra...imagine the cool hot topic merch for the gothy invader zim punk kid crowd!

I first saw Carl on Muppets Tonight in 1996, then later via a tape trade of early 90's Jim Henson business meeting tapes. I had no clue that by 2008 theyd make him into a focal point character with all the viral videos. He's just an amazing puppet and truly embodies the more wacky surreal aspects of Muppetdom. People forget the Muppets have been around a whopping 56 years...that means in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's we've had the Muppets. 7 decades have been touched by the felt hand of epicness. Yet somehow...Muppetfandom online or off seems rather...underground and niche. Perhaps...not for long though.
You're welcome, and thank you too! Igave you the same, along with any of MuppetCentral people I knew. :big_grin: Hey, I live in Reno and even I find it hard to believe...I'm originally from NYC though (I know I don't have to mention that, but I am still proud of that :attitude:), though I do know some other talented kids here. There's talent everywhere I think...at least a little. And I'm definitely rooting for one of "our boys" too, that'd be nice. :smile: I'll be happy to lose to any shirt I'd actually wear, honestly.

And yes they are, that's actually the first time I ever saw them and kept pausing the VHS and wondering who the heck they were.

Yeah, definitely, at least some of the other known ones, like Janice. You know what....I'm gonna draw me some fan-art of her now. :super: I might post them somewhere if there's....a place for that. I don't have a DeviantArt account or anything and I'm using my tumblr for something else so I don't know where to put some of my stuff.

Oh sweet, I'll have to track that down too. He really does, and I think he's one of the only crazy Muppet-eating monsters that's came out since the oooold days. I'm learning to love that character a lot (I never used to know him well outside of thinking his flatter look was really cool), he's one of the few that the design just cracks me up. :zany:

Yup! Gaffer's there. I have Waldo in that spot on the other side that I'll show later this week.

I'm just hoping the 1's for everybody just kind of even out eventually after the initial uploading of new designs. I'm not sure what the finish line is going to be like for this contest.
Sweet!
Me too...at least it'll be interesting until then I guess.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What the heck just happened to the Threadless site?
The layout is new and we can't see the scoring.
Also, the site forgot my password so they had to send me a new one!
I don't get this. Maybe it's intended to keep us from worrying about the 1's others give us. I don't know.

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
What the heck just happened to the Threadless site?
The layout is new and we can't see the scoring.
Also, the site forgot my password so they had to send me a new one!
I don't get this. Maybe it's intended to keep us from worrying about the 1's others give us. I don't know.
Yeah, I have no idea, the same thing just happened to me. My profile also says I've scored and submitted no designs (though I'm still "creator" on my entry and clicking on designs I've scored shows they still count) and my avatar doesn't appear anywhere but my page, and it logs me out every time I leave the page....it looks like the Adventure Time challenge already did before this, so maybe it's just the new look. I guess not seeing those does help a bit...But apparently that comes with a ton of crazy site glitches. :confused::eek: