1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

TMS Season 2 coming August 7, 2007

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

Yeah, I was just being silly, too. Hence the Scooter winkin' face: ;)

2. anathema

anathema Active Member

Previous releases have no bearing on what - if anything - has to be cut this time around. It's a different company doing the release, so new contracts have to be negotiated.

TV broadcasts have no bearing on it either - there's a blanket license in place which allows the broadcasters to use anything they like without having to obtain specific clearances. This is not, unfortunately, the case for home video releases where everything has to be cleared individually.

On the subject of cuts, has anything been said about whether 'Valentine' is the full show or the edited one?

3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

They're obviously going to have to cut stuff. It's annoying, but at least we know up front.

I'm not that crazy about the bonus features so far (except for 'Valentine', I was able to see it once before but I know a lot of people haven't), but having all the episodes finally available is enough for me. :)

4. anathema

anathema Active Member

No they're not! They might have had to make cuts, they might not. You don't know, I don't know. Until there's either an official announcement or someone gets hold of the actual discs and watches them, speculation is pointless.

The music rights for the songs used in Season Two have *nothing* to do with the rights for the songs used in Season One - or any other Muppet Show, for that matter. Rights clearance is, as someone's already pointed out, a complex business, and things change all the time.

For example, it hasn't been possible to clear Beatles recordings for any purpose for the last few years. It's got nothing to do with the money, the recordings are not available at any price. This wasn't always the case, and it may change again in the future. (Before someone comments that the Muppets covered a number of Beatles songs, I'm talking about the actual Beatles performances here, not cover versions.)

Five years ago, "You've Got A Friend" was evidently clearable for DVD, because the Vincent Price TMS was released in at least three countries with the song intact. Two years ago, either it was no longer clearable, or else Disney opted not to pay the asking price. (A cover of the song was being used on a TV commercial in the UK around the same time, so it was obviously available for at least some uses, but again DVD release doesn't necessarily have to have been one of them.)

It's also worth noting that rights usually have to be negotiated for each country the DVD is to be released in, and a song that's clearable for (say) the US isn't automatically cleared for the UK (or vice versa). The US release of 'A Muppet Family Christmas' is missing several songs due to clearance problems; the UK release includes these songs.

The fact that some Season One shows were cut for release is disappointing, but has no bearing on Season Two.

5. heralde

Ok, I guess I misunderstood, I thought people were saying it was a definite thing. If it's not, that's great. It's just that this has happened so many times, it's not outside the realm of possibility. (Not that I want to get into a debate about it. Whatever it is, it is. :) )

6. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

Allrighty. I'm really really excited. I for one have never seen the Valentine Special. So I'm glad its on the dvd. And, new muppet material? Wonderful! But, I have a little problem with the fact that the Weezer music video being on the dvd. Why that? Seriously, its all over the net, and yes it has the muppet theater in it but still. I could see it on a Muppets Tonight set rather than TMS Season Two. I'm hoping there is more, that would make it more worth while. But i'm buying it no matter what. ​

7. heralde

Yeah I know what you mean! But you know they can't go around saying, "Oh we can't put that on, it's all over the net!" Lol ;)

8. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

you're right.. it would be better on a Muppets Tonight! release, but if Disney started making that much sense, I wouldn't know what to do

9. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

I say- who cares? I like the video. And I really like the fact that all the episodes of TMS season 2 are going to be available together for the first time. To me, the Weezer video and whatever else they want to put on there is just frosting.

10. heralde

Lol, very true. It is kinda funny that we request a season on DVD, get what we want, but then complain about the bonus features. We are so spoiled in our media. :halo:

11. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

*SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMS!!!!!* FINALLY!!! THIS IS- AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO MUPPETS!! *spontaneously combusts*

12. cabbageheat

cabbageheat New Member

sounds great

It is nice to hear that this set is alive and well. My only gripe is the release schedule. Surely we will not have to wait five years, for all five seasons? I love the quality and detail they have put into these sets, but a year in between releases is a tad ridiculous.

13. anathema

anathema Active Member

Two years, actually :-(

14. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Alex! Hi! Where have you been hiding???

15. Luke

Luke Active Member

It could be that their permission to make use of it is running out so they've used it now, it could be because they were searching around for what cheap stuff they could re-use for features, it could be because Weezers management have some kinda deal with Disney, it could be that the people putting the set together just thought it was cool. I guess they could have used a lot of interviews and archive footage from the time but they probably would have had to pay to clear that and if they've already paid a lot to clear music and stuff maybe the budget was low. Ideally it'd be nice to see em do some commentaries and not worry too much about features but being mass market i guess people look more for features. Who knows really! I like the video a lot, it is a little out of place but it also gives a sense of where the Muppets are now to where they were then. Muppets on Muppets may well do too if the characters are shown looking back on their former selves.

16. SarahOnBway

SarahOnBway Member

Ah! Alas! If only they had audio commentary! How awesome would it be to have Muppeteer commentary?!?! The two Dinosaurs commentaries are PURE GOLD ("That's not my hand. That's a Whitmire move." haha!), I LOVE Brian Henson's commentaries for MCC and MTI and more often than not when I watch Muppets From Space, I'm watching it with the commentary track. What would be AWESOME is if they could get a few Muppeteers and maybe even the guest star to provide commentary, if all parties were willing. That would be great.

But I'm daydreaming here haha

17. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

I'd like a tribute to guest stars who have since passed away.

18. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

Can't wait for this. :excited:

I hope the Weezer video includes the "Making off" film. I see no "Muppet gag reel" in this set :confused: :sympathy:

19. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

20. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

*picks pieces of Ryan out of my hair*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.