TMS Season 2 coming August 7, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

peyjenk

Reaction score
Must needs is actually correct grammar. Old fashioned, but correct.

And we loves us is just me being silly.

Trust me, you don't want to go the grammar route with me Peyton! :-P
Yeah, I was just being silly, too. Hence the Scooter winkin' face: :wink:

anathema

Reaction score
Well, I'm absolutely positive that Won't Somebody Dance With Me won't be cut, because Time Life included it in their DVD set and I remember seeing it on Nickelodeon, so I don't think there's an issue with the rights here. And I'm pretty sure that Just One Person won't be cut just because without it there is a HUGE plot hole. Plus it's so iconic, I bet Disney would fight for that one if they had to. Or if Disney wouldn't, Muppet peoples working for Disney. IDK about the others, but if they hadn't previously been cut from Nickelodeon airings or the Time Life DVDs, I'd bet they're safe.
Previous releases have no bearing on what - if anything - has to be cut this time around. It's a different company doing the release, so new contracts have to be negotiated.

TV broadcasts have no bearing on it either - there's a blanket license in place which allows the broadcasters to use anything they like without having to obtain specific clearances. This is not, unfortunately, the case for home video releases where everything has to be cleared individually.

On the subject of cuts, has anything been said about whether 'Valentine' is the full show or the edited one?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
They're obviously going to have to cut stuff. It's annoying, but at least we know up front.

I'm not that crazy about the bonus features so far (except for 'Valentine', I was able to see it once before but I know a lot of people haven't), but having all the episodes finally available is enough for me. :smile:

anathema

Reaction score
They're obviously going to have to cut stuff. It's annoying, but at least we know up front.
No they're not! They might have had to make cuts, they might not. You don't know, I don't know. Until there's either an official announcement or someone gets hold of the actual discs and watches them, speculation is pointless.

The music rights for the songs used in Season Two have *nothing* to do with the rights for the songs used in Season One - or any other Muppet Show, for that matter. Rights clearance is, as someone's already pointed out, a complex business, and things change all the time.

For example, it hasn't been possible to clear Beatles recordings for any purpose for the last few years. It's got nothing to do with the money, the recordings are not available at any price. This wasn't always the case, and it may change again in the future. (Before someone comments that the Muppets covered a number of Beatles songs, I'm talking about the actual Beatles performances here, not cover versions.)

Five years ago, "You've Got A Friend" was evidently clearable for DVD, because the Vincent Price TMS was released in at least three countries with the song intact. Two years ago, either it was no longer clearable, or else Disney opted not to pay the asking price. (A cover of the song was being used on a TV commercial in the UK around the same time, so it was obviously available for at least some uses, but again DVD release doesn't necessarily have to have been one of them.)

It's also worth noting that rights usually have to be negotiated for each country the DVD is to be released in, and a song that's clearable for (say) the US isn't automatically cleared for the UK (or vice versa). The US release of 'A Muppet Family Christmas' is missing several songs due to clearance problems; the UK release includes these songs.

The fact that some Season One shows were cut for release is disappointing, but has no bearing on Season Two.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ok, I guess I misunderstood, I thought people were saying it was a definite thing. If it's not, that's great. It's just that this has happened so many times, it's not outside the realm of possibility. (Not that I want to get into a debate about it. Whatever it is, it is. :smile: )

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Allrighty. I'm really really excited. I for one have never seen the Valentine Special. So I'm glad its on the dvd. And, new muppet material? Wonderful! But, I have a little problem with the fact that the Weezer music video being on the dvd. Why that? Seriously, its all over the net, and yes it has the muppet theater in it but still. I could see it on a Muppets Tonight set rather than TMS Season Two. I'm hoping there is more, that would make it more worth while. But i'm buying it no matter what.​

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But, I have a little problem with the fact that the Weezer music video being on the dvd. Why that? Seriously, its all over the net​
Yeah I know what you mean! But you know they can't go around saying, "Oh we can't put that on, it's all over the net!" Lol :wink:

anytimepally

Reaction score
I have a little problem with the fact that the Weezer music video being on the dvd. Why that? Seriously, its all over the net, and yes it has the muppet theater in it but still. I could see it on a Muppets Tonight set rather than TMS Season Two.
you're right.. it would be better on a Muppets Tonight! release, but if Disney started making that much sense, I wouldn't know what to do

peyjenk

Reaction score
I say- who cares? I like the video. And I really like the fact that all the episodes of TMS season 2 are going to be available together for the first time. To me, the Weezer video and whatever else they want to put on there is just frosting.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Lol, very true. It is kinda funny that we request a season on DVD, get what we want, but then complain about the bonus features. We are so spoiled in our media. :halo:

Status
Not open for further replies.