TMS Season 2 coming August 7, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

David French

Reaction score
No they're not! They might have had to make cuts, they might not. You don't know, I don't know. Until there's either an official announcement or someone gets hold of the actual discs and watches them, speculation is pointless.

The music rights for the songs used in Season Two have *nothing* to do with the rights for the songs used in Season One - or any other Muppet Show, for that matter. Rights clearance is, as someone's already pointed out, a complex business, and things change all the time.

For example, it hasn't been possible to clear Beatles recordings for any purpose for the last few years. It's got nothing to do with the money, the recordings are not available at any price. This wasn't always the case, and it may change again in the future. (Before someone comments that the Muppets covered a number of Beatles songs, I'm talking about the actual Beatles performances here, not cover versions.)

Five years ago, "You've Got A Friend" was evidently clearable for DVD, because the Vincent Price TMS was released in at least three countries with the song intact. Two years ago, either it was no longer clearable, or else Disney opted not to pay the asking price. (A cover of the song was being used on a TV commercial in the UK around the same time, so it was obviously available for at least some uses, but again DVD release doesn't necessarily have to have been one of them.)

It's also worth noting that rights usually have to be negotiated for each country the DVD is to be released in, and a song that's clearable for (say) the US isn't automatically cleared for the UK (or vice versa). The US release of 'A Muppet Family Christmas' is missing several songs due to clearance problems; the UK release includes these songs.

The fact that some Season One shows were cut for release is disappointing, but has no bearing on Season Two.
Of course if the copyright had never changed hands in the first place we wouldn't have this problem. C'est la vie.

rexcrk

Reaction score
It's about dang time! I can remember watching Season One the SUMMER before GOING INTO my senior year of high school, and here I am, graduated for almost a year lol.

I'm very much looking forward to this set, and I'm glad the Valentine's special is going to be on there, I've never seen it!

It would be cool if the Jim Henson tribute that was supposed to be on Season One was on this set.

CAN'T WAIT! :crazy: :halo: :big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I feel mixed about the features. So far the Valentines special is the only announced one included that I expected to be included. I sure do hope that Muppet Morsels are just currently unnannounced and eventually included. I am surprised that the Jim Henson retrospective planned for season one isn't going to be included. I am also surprised about the Weezer thing (I assume that the behind-the-scenes documentary is included), but it wasn't that great of a production.

I am also a bit surprised about a new Muppet production being included as a feature. It sounds like it's just Kermit, Gozno, and Rizzo talking about the Muppets. It's too bad that more characters aren't going to be included. It would be great if Statler, Waldorf, Bunsen, Beaker, Dr. Teeth, Floyd, Animal, Janice, Zoot, Scooter, Rowlf, Sam, Fozzie, Bunsen, Beaker, and Miss Piggy were also included.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I am so darn happy about this. Can't wait to get and hope to hear more on the features. :smile: :embarrassed: :concern:

AlienGonzo

Reaction score
OMG, the Piggy face better stay, it looks awesome in the promo shots. And i wat a fuzzy version...please don't change it!!!

Kiki

Reaction score
This. Is. AWESOME. News!!!! Oh, I am just, totally pyched 'bout this, it has so made my day!! :excited: Yayness! ^_^

Beauregard

Reaction score
EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

*excuse me while I exub*

Wow. This trailer is great. The clips were well chosen and, YES!, the Muppets look just like they should. -- Obviously being a late-comer to the Muppet fandom, I never could jibe with the Season One Muppets.

I am so excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.