1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Too old for Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by mikealan, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Thijs

Thijs Member

I started watching was I was 1, I stopped watching when I was 6, and started watching again when I was 10 :)
  2. monkeymuppet

monkeymuppet New Member

Yeah. I watched it from the time I was born until age 5 or six. My mom took the cutest picture of me (I was probably 1) watching Sesame Street. I was lying on the floor and Kermie was on. :) I stopped watching it because I thought it was uncool :( but I still went to Sesame Street Live. Now I watch it a lot more.
  3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

I'm 30, living alone, and watch SS when I can catch it. Tell your mom or whoever to kiss-off and let you do your own thing.

At least you aren't cracking open liquor and doing drugs instead.

She should appreciate that!
  4. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

That post thus proves why Kevin rocks hard. Rock on, Fozzie Bear!

-Matt
  5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

:D
    You're too kind, and forever more my friend!

F:cool:Z
  6. Hays

Hays New Member

Is somebody doing a psych 101 paper?

Funny how this topic keeps coming up one way and another.

Let's remember - Sesame Street was DESIGNED for adults to watch - one of the primary ideas behind the show was to make it entertaining to both adults and children so they would WATCH TOGETHER.

Great art is ageless - even if there's education and humor mixed in.
  7. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

i went through a stage when i was about 7 that i was too 'mature' to watch animated shows, then in the last year i realized how dumb that was...many kids shows are better than so called adult shows!

Sarah
  8. mikealan

mikealan New Member

Thanks for helping me!

I appreciate all your feelings. I was happy to see older people still watching and enjoying SS like me! I could watch it sometimes during my breaks or weekends.
  9. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

Hey ... I regularly watched both SS and MISTER ROGERS until I was 10. In fact, I'll still catch myself watching ARTHUR every now & then :)
    It's just the kid in me, I guess. To me, watching these shows is purely sentimental. So much of my childhood is revolved around elementary school special ed; these shows bring me back to the greatest eight years of my life.
    During those eight years, I had so many unique experiences, many of them different than those of "regular" students.
    These are times which I wouldn't trade for the world.
    Thank God for memories.
  10. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

While I wish I could get PBS in, I am content with the more recent Sesame dvds I have. elmopalooza and Computer Caper just rocks. early to mid 90's Sesame doesnt interest me at all for some reason, so its good to see these post 98 dvds coming out.

But indeed, I love being bale to watch Nick Jr. shows on CBS when they have them, or ctaching Recess on the Disney afternoon. I really want to get back into my archive stuff of Muppet vhs again, took a bit of a hiatus from hardcor archive watching. But yes...Arthur, Little Bear, it's all good.

As for not being able to get back into Sesame from missing a lot of episodes...same could be said for Fraggle Rock. Its quite a feat to get *every* single vhs...but what I have been able to see over the years leaves me in awe. Man they need to bring that show back!
  11. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

This brings me to a question: Why doesn't Nickelodeon show muppet shows anymore? I assume they had some sort of contract going, so When did it expire? TMS & MUPPET BABIES performed well on that station, and it puzzles me as to why Nick never got the rights to at least FRAGGLE ROCK. I would think that either the live or animated -- or both -- series would do very well on Nickelodeon.
  12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'll start another post on it, before I leave (I'm here today as a cameo guest shot.. BOOM.. there goes a guest now- Boris Badenov) but apparently, someone out there realized that it's OKAY to go back to you child hood, and thus so far, they released a few ADULT SIZED Sesame T Shirts, plus collectable Sesame Street Tins (I have two of the smaller ones) that flew off the shelves of Target.

Anyway, I went through various, Sesame is Uncool phases (that lasted REALY short) every so oftern. Once the Tickle Me Elmo craze came out, I wanted nothing to do with Sesame for some reason, until I realized how much I've enjoyed it over the years... NOW I WATCH ALL THE TIME.... mainly cuz nothing else is good on TV at the time....stupid 5th wheel...
  13. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

that would rock if they had the muppet show on nickelodeon at night with the cosby show and coach!!!...

ryan
  14. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

My parents have never told me I was too old for Sesame Street, though the kids at school did; in fact, all the other kids have been telling me I'm too old for Muppets in general since around Grade 3 or so.
  15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I do think I'm too old for the way SS is now, though I'm not sure I would have watched it as a kid either. But I could watch the older show both as a child and as an adult, no problem.

In general, I didn't get made fun of for liking Sesame Street as I got older. I just kinda got mildly laughed at, heh. Then later on nostalgia became cool and nobody minded.
  16. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but I wonder how long Nickelodeon's contract for TMS lasted, and were ratings for it really good then? Nickelodeon only showed reruns of TMS for two years, and halfway through it's first year on Nickelodeon reruns were cut back from two a day to just one, during the Nick Jr time slot (when I was usually in school). And Nickelodeon never showed the show during the weekends for some reason (I can't remember if Muppet matenee was still being shown on saturdays at the time).
  17. heralde

Hmm, well reruns of shows generally do well only for so long. People enjoy them, but then they get tired of seeing the same episodes over and over again.
  18. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

I believe we are never to old to relive our childhood, and Sesame Street isnt only a peice of childhood that we all keep to our hearts, as we grow older, the Classic Sesame Street is better appreciated by adults because it also evoked to adults, unlike the past couple of years Sesame has only appealed to the younger audience, [but i must say after season 37 its looking up.] I mean the show back then was also geared to adults as well, and not many people realize it, that was part of Jim and the whole crew's genius.
  19. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

And I guess it hurts more when not every episode of a particular show is shown on that network. Nickelodeon onyl showed 65 episodes. Then again, Nickelodeon only showed the first 96 episodes of Muppet Babies,a dn reruns of that show were broadcast on Nickelodeon for 7 years. And many shows that were rerun on Nick at Nite were broadcast on that channel for at least three years. I recall Happy Days reruns being shown for four years, The Dick Van Dyke Show being shown for at least 9 years, I Love Lucy being shown for at least 7 years, and The Bob Newhart Show reruns being broadcast for at least 6 years. And many of those shows switched to TV Land soon after they were no longer being seen on Nick at Nite. I think some just suddenly switched networks at the drop of a hat. Then again, some shows weren't shown on Nick at Nite for too long, like Newhart (I recall that being shown for only 3 years), The Odd Couple (3 or 4 years), Welcome Back Kotter (less than 1 year), WKRP in Cincinatti (ditto), and The Wonder Years (I think that was only shown for 3 years).
  20. heralde

Yup, part of their genius was recognizing that kids could appreciate adult humor. And then in later life they would still enjoy it, and discover things they weren't aware of before. :)