1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Too old for Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by mikealan, Dec 31, 2002.

1. wwfpooh New Member

Well, one cannot really blame Kevin or the Elmo character for the character's surge in popularity.
  2. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I've said it a million times... but they could cut out roughly half of Elmo's world, it would still have the effect it has, and still draw in the Elmo fanatic kids.

Things to keep: Mr. Noodle (but halfed), Elmo's Mail, The _______ channel, wanna talk to a _________? the section with a real life kid using object or working with subject, "tickle Me Land".

Things to chuck: Talking to a Baby, the "what ________ and what doesn't" (or can be halfed), the __________ song, the random counting of objects.

See, that's gotta be at least 5 minutes of dead weight right there.

I do admit sometimes when I watch SS, I say to myself, I'm getting too old for this."
  3. wwfpooh New Member

But the fact that children of today seemingly like the package--even with the dead weight tacked on--shows how the show's changed since our days of watching it.
  4. Redsonga Active Member

I dunno, just because they've gotten use to it does not suddenly make it a good show though.. I love candy, but eating nothing but it would be bad for me :coy:
  5. wwfpooh New Member

And I never said it did. But, if they accept it, then it's probably here to stay, whether we like it or not.
  6. Redsonga Active Member

Mhh..but who is to say they would not like something different even more ? :)
  7. wwfpooh New Member

No one. But the only way to find out is to get SW to try something different.
  8. Redsonga Active Member

*sigh* And they don't want to :(
  9. wwfpooh New Member

People dislike change, even though it's the one constant of life.
  10. Redsonga Active Member

I think that it's that they are afraid of losing money :sympathy:. But things were fine when Big Bird was the main character to:)
  11. wwfpooh New Member

But as said, the Street is an institution. It won't just up and die, you know.
  12. Redsonga Active Member

I know, I know *lol*:o I wasn't saying I thought it would but..some people in high places just don't have as much faith in it lasting without the Elmo parts now I heard...Which is silly IMHO :wisdom:
  13. Super Scooter New Member

There was an episode of Sesame Street last year (or the year before) without any Elmo's World. I wonder how that went over?
  14. Redsonga Active Member

As fate would have it I think I saw that episode and liked it :excited:
  15. wwfpooh New Member

But the new generations to which the Street was being directed towards loathed it. In terms of ratings, Elmo's World has become a staple part of the show ever since its 1998 debut, and so, without it, ratings went down.
  16. Redsonga Active Member

Do you know for sure?:sympathy: I've never heard anything about it:search:...
  17. mikebennidict New Member

I think we've discussed this before how they often have to keep up with the times and do what's in the best intertest of the audience.

Now can we get back on topic for pete sakes?
  18. Redsonga Active Member

It's all in how you think of SS and children's shows overall I think..there are so many layers beyond the first one to enjoy at any age:)...
  19. heralde Well-Known Member

If a show is written well, there should be no need to stay "modern." And the idea that kids today have different requirements is a myth in my opinion.
  20. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Off topic, but that stuff is concocted by a bunch of hack child psychologists that just want to write random books so they can make names for themselves. Not every one is a hack, mind you... just the most vocal.

And IMO, SS has always been modern to some extent. I mean, in the 70's they did Disco, in the 80's they had Weird Al style song parodies... it's a very hip and up to date show. That's why I never feel ashamed to like it (see, we can weave things back on to the topic). It's just certain segments and ideas that keep it more for the younger audiences.