Too old for Sesame Street

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
This brings me to a question: Why doesn't Nickelodeon show muppet shows anymore? I assume they had some sort of contract going, so When did it expire? TMS & MUPPET BABIES performed well on that station, and it puzzles me as to why Nick never got the rights to at least FRAGGLE ROCK. I would think that either the live or animated -- or both -- series would do very well on Nickelodeon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll start another post on it, before I leave (I'm here today as a cameo guest shot.. BOOM.. there goes a guest now- Boris Badenov) but apparently, someone out there realized that it's OKAY to go back to you child hood, and thus so far, they released a few ADULT SIZED Sesame T Shirts, plus collectable Sesame Street Tins (I have two of the smaller ones) that flew off the shelves of Target.

Anyway, I went through various, Sesame is Uncool phases (that lasted REALY short) every so oftern. Once the Tickle Me Elmo craze came out, I wanted nothing to do with Sesame for some reason, until I realized how much I've enjoyed it over the years... NOW I WATCH ALL THE TIME.... mainly cuz nothing else is good on TV at the time....stupid 5th wheel...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by trekkie1701E
This brings me to a question: Why doesn't Nickelodeon show muppet shows anymore? I assume they had some sort of contract going, so When did it expire? TMS & MUPPET BABIES performed well on that station, and it puzzles me as to why Nick never got the rights to at least FRAGGLE ROCK. I would think that either the live or animated -- or both -- series would do very well on Nickelodeon.
that would rock if they had the muppet show on nickelodeon at night with the cosby show and coach!!!...

ryan

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My parents have never told me I was too old for Sesame Street, though the kids at school did; in fact, all the other kids have been telling me I'm too old for Muppets in general since around Grade 3 or so.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do think I'm too old for the way SS is now, though I'm not sure I would have watched it as a kid either. But I could watch the older show both as a child and as an adult, no problem.

In general, I didn't get made fun of for liking Sesame Street as I got older. I just kinda got mildly laughed at, heh. Then later on nostalgia became cool and nobody minded.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know why, but I wonder how long Nickelodeon's contract for TMS lasted, and were ratings for it really good then? Nickelodeon only showed reruns of TMS for two years, and halfway through it's first year on Nickelodeon reruns were cut back from two a day to just one, during the Nick Jr time slot (when I was usually in school). And Nickelodeon never showed the show during the weekends for some reason (I can't remember if Muppet matenee was still being shown on saturdays at the time).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm, well reruns of shows generally do well only for so long. People enjoy them, but then they get tired of seeing the same episodes over and over again.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
I believe we are never to old to relive our childhood, and Sesame Street isnt only a peice of childhood that we all keep to our hearts, as we grow older, the Classic Sesame Street is better appreciated by adults because it also evoked to adults, unlike the past couple of years Sesame has only appealed to the younger audience, [but i must say after season 37 its looking up.] I mean the show back then was also geared to adults as well, and not many people realize it, that was part of Jim and the whole crew's genius.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Hmm, well reruns of shows generally do well only for so long. People enjoy them, but then they get tired of seeing the same episodes over and over again.
And I guess it hurts more when not every episode of a particular show is shown on that network. Nickelodeon onyl showed 65 episodes. Then again, Nickelodeon only showed the first 96 episodes of Muppet Babies,a dn reruns of that show were broadcast on Nickelodeon for 7 years. And many shows that were rerun on Nick at Nite were broadcast on that channel for at least three years. I recall Happy Days reruns being shown for four years, The Dick Van Dyke Show being shown for at least 9 years, I Love Lucy being shown for at least 7 years, and The Bob Newhart Show reruns being broadcast for at least 6 years. And many of those shows switched to TV Land soon after they were no longer being seen on Nick at Nite. I think some just suddenly switched networks at the drop of a hat. Then again, some shows weren't shown on Nick at Nite for too long, like Newhart (I recall that being shown for only 3 years), The Odd Couple (3 or 4 years), Welcome Back Kotter (less than 1 year), WKRP in Cincinatti (ditto), and The Wonder Years (I think that was only shown for 3 years).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yup, part of their genius was recognizing that kids could appreciate adult humor. And then in later life they would still enjoy it, and discover things they weren't aware of before. :smile: