1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Too old for Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by mikealan, Dec 31, 2002.

1. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Parents actually told their kids to stop watching Sesame Street? My parents never told me that. I didn't know about The Electric Company when I was a kid (I think reruns ended around the time that I was born). And you hated your parents? That's funny! And it looks like you had a good reason, too!
  2. mikebennidict New Member

What does TMS have to do with this topic? Plus TMS was a family show. not a kids show.
  3. mikebennidict New Member

Well maybe his parents did but it doesn't mean everyone's parents were like that.
  4. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Somebody else had asked about why Nickelodeon stopped showing reruns in this topic, for some reason, and I was commenting on that.
  5. puppetguy 2191 New Member

i think that you can be to old for ss, but the the muppets are good for all ages. in fact there are a lot of jokes on the muppets that only adults would get
  6. Ilikemuppets New Member

Well, I think one of the reasons that adults like the show in the first place was the humor of Jim Henson and the fact he the Muppet's were really hip and fun! So to put that on a daily series for kids and the fact that adults really liked then kind of gave adults an excuse to watch and want to watch!:)
  7. Redsonga Active Member

I never thought of SS as a habit to be 'kicked', the only reason I stopped watching it faithfully when I was 12 (1995) was because not only were they showing reruns of the same four episodes, but my tv at my ma's gave out and was not replaced (with just a tv that didn't get tv and a vcr mind you) until I was fifteen...
    I know this topic is old but...I, for one, as far as older episodes up until the early 90's always watched SS for the muppets *and* the humans. Bob, Linda, Maria, and Gordon most of all are still in my mind like aunts and uncles in a way, I can't really see myself ever "outgrowing" them as they are to me like family :). Even new SS parts with the older characters now when I see them, still make me laugh :).
  8. ISNorden Active Member

Oddly enough, my parents never minded my watching Sesame Street even when I was a 20-something college student. It was my younger brother who taunted me about "baby shows"; he eventually got me giving up not just Sesame Street, but ALL television for the next eight or nine years.
  9. wwfpooh New Member

If we're talking Sesame whilst Jim and Frank were around, that is okay for any age, in my honest opinion, considering the Street--no matter the age--is part of the Muppet family, as seen in the Muppet Christmas special of 1987. However, if we're talking just Elmo's World alone & some of the lame Street segments staring said red menace, Abby, and others, then sometimes, it can feel embarassing to watch that & say that those things came from the mind of Jim Henson, whom we--as Muppet fans--all admire (for note, Jim was still around when Kevin [Clash] wrote Elmo's Song--which is what would become the Elmo's World theme--in the 80's during Elmo's emergence as a primary character).
  10. Redsonga Active Member

I could stand Elmo's World a lot better if every song he made was not set to "Jingle Bells" :eek::batty::crazy:

*dies a hundred songwriter deaths everytime Elmo says, "Let's sing the _________ song!""
  11. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I admit it was cute and funny as a running gag the first 200000000000000 times, but they really need to alter Elmo's world completely. Just to make it more tolerable. I mean, they had one episode that made multiple Looney Tunes references (including the wrong turn at Albequerque that Bugs keeps taking), so they are capable of humor on a more adult level. Too bad they don't excersize it outside of the ________ channel mkost of the time (the _______ channel is especially a treat if you like SCTV).
  12. wwfpooh New Member

Add in the annoyance of Elmo asking an infant about things no baby even understands, let alone knows about in detail...like feet. The only things babies know about feet are that they are body parts, that they may smell, and that they are sometimes--in the case of the babies themselves--something to suckle or chew on. XD
  13. Crazy31088 Member

I, personally, feel that you only outgrow a show when it no longer has anything to offer you. Sesame Street, even in its current form, still offers me some laughs now and then, so I don't count it in the same camp as some other kids shows, which offer nothing to most people over the age of five (at least in my opinion). To give up on a show that still entertains you just because others have told you it's time for you to stop watching it, to me that's just peer pressure, which nobody should cave into for the wrong reasons (are there right reasons? I'm not sure, but I don't think so).

On the other hand, if you lose interest in a show and something else, perhaps another show, takes its place, then that's fine, by all means, don't stick with something just because you feel obliged to.

And I won't deny it, there was a time when I felt obliged to stick with watching Sesame Street every day. It still offered me some fun moments, but overall I was discovering other TV shows (among other things). I didn't "give up on it", because I still watched it occasionally (especially my library of episodes I have on tape), but if there wasn't a need to watch it every day, then I don't see why it's a bad thing to stop.

But to stop watching it altogether because someone tells you you're too old for it is like throwing away a perfectly good sweater that you like a lot, just because someone else has told you it's out of style. What's so wrong about hanging on to it?
  14. wwfpooh New Member

Agreed. It's like me liking country music. Many people may frown on it, but I enjoy it, and by gum, I will enjoy it until I choose to stop enjoying it!
  15. Redsonga Active Member

It's all in how you look at it though "something to offer" means different things to different people, and just because you know the basics does not mean that simple joys (which I don't think Elmo is one of anymore, at least today's Elmo, not the older one I loved) are ever something you need to stop enjoying...I've never felt the need (besides Romper Room) to move on from on show to another really, I just add it to the list of shows I like and keep on building upon them :). I don't even need to watch something everyday to make it a part of my 'I will watch and enjoy this' list :). I see so many new levels to a show the longer I like it that really it is like many shows in one :)...
  16. ErnieandTelly New Member

I will never stop wacthing Sesame Street espcially the clips on youtube.
  17. wwfpooh New Member

And each of us is different. For example, I know some of us would prefer Fraggle Rock over Sesame Street or vice-versa, but for me personally, I consider them of the same cloth, for despite the different intentions, both are part of the Henson mold. As such, even though I saw FR more, I still bear a fondness towards SS, even despite all the dislikes towards its current incarnation.
  18. Redsonga Active Member

Well, even if you don't like SS now that doesn't make the older show any less good IMHO :excited: One doesn't cancel out the other really, at least, to me :).
  19. wwfpooh New Member

Considering they're the same, sans generational differences in views and whatnot, I agree.
  20. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

raising guilty hand
    Every so often (when no one is around) I take little "sneak peeks" at Sesame Street"(not when Elmo's on though!)
    WHEW! Now I feel better!:)