Too old for Sesame Street

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Hello, MC fans, parents told us not to watch SS or TEC when we're older kids, because they think they would be inappropriate for us fans. They think that they're *young kids' shows".

My mom thinks that I had the angry face from the SS segment about angry, and she does not want to see me being angry! I HATED my parents.

Do you guys agree that we cannot watch SS when we're old?
Parents actually told their kids to stop watching Sesame Street? My parents never told me that. I didn't know about The Electric Company when I was a kid (I think reruns ended around the time that I was born). And you hated your parents? That's funny! And it looks like you had a good reason, too!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I don't know why, but I wonder how long Nickelodeon's contract for TMS lasted, and were ratings for it really good then? Nickelodeon only showed reruns of TMS for two years, and halfway through it's first year on Nickelodeon reruns were cut back from two a day to just one, during the Nick Jr time slot (when I was usually in school). And Nickelodeon never showed the show during the weekends for some reason (I can't remember if Muppet matenee was still being shown on saturdays at the time).

What does TMS have to do with this topic? Plus TMS was a family show. not a kids show.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Parents actually told their kids to stop watching Sesame Street? My parents never told me that. I didn't know about The Electric Company when I was a kid (I think reruns ended around the time that I was born). And you hated your parents? That's funny! And it looks like you had a good reason, too!
Well maybe his parents did but it doesn't mean everyone's parents were like that.

puppetguy 2191

Reaction score
i think that you can be to old for ss, but the the muppets are good for all ages. in fact there are a lot of jokes on the muppets that only adults would get

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, I think one of the reasons that adults like the show in the first place was the humor of Jim Henson and the fact he the Muppet's were really hip and fun! So to put that on a daily series for kids and the fact that adults really liked then kind of gave adults an excuse to watch and want to watch!:smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I never thought of SS as a habit to be 'kicked', the only reason I stopped watching it faithfully when I was 12 (1995) was because not only were they showing reruns of the same four episodes, but my tv at my ma's gave out and was not replaced (with just a tv that didn't get tv and a vcr mind you) until I was fifteen...
I know this topic is old but...I, for one, as far as older episodes up until the early 90's always watched SS for the muppets *and* the humans. Bob, Linda, Maria, and Gordon most of all are still in my mind like aunts and uncles in a way, I can't really see myself ever "outgrowing" them as they are to me like family :smile:. Even new SS parts with the older characters now when I see them, still make me laugh :smile:.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Oddly enough, my parents never minded my watching Sesame Street even when I was a 20-something college student. It was my younger brother who taunted me about "baby shows"; he eventually got me giving up not just Sesame Street, but ALL television for the next eight or nine years.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
If we're talking Sesame whilst Jim and Frank were around, that is okay for any age, in my honest opinion, considering the Street--no matter the age--is part of the Muppet family, as seen in the Muppet Christmas special of 1987. However, if we're talking just Elmo's World alone & some of the lame Street segments staring said red menace, Abby, and others, then sometimes, it can feel embarassing to watch that & say that those things came from the mind of Jim Henson, whom we--as Muppet fans--all admire (for note, Jim was still around when Kevin [Clash] wrote Elmo's Song--which is what would become the Elmo's World theme--in the 80's during Elmo's emergence as a primary character).

Redsonga

Reaction score
If we're talking Sesame whilst Jim and Frank were around, that is okay for any age, in my honest opinion, considering the Street--no matter the age--is part of the Muppet family, as seen in the Muppet Christmas special of 1987. However, if we're talking just Elmo's World alone & some of the lame Street segments staring said red menace, Abby, and others, then sometimes, it can feel embarassing to watch that & say that those things came from the mind of Jim Henson, whom we--as Muppet fans--all admire (for note, Jim was still around when Kevin [Clash] wrote Elmo's Song--which is what would become the Elmo's World theme--in the 80's during Elmo's emergence as a primary character).
I could stand Elmo's World a lot better if every song he made was not set to "Jingle Bells" :eek::batty::crazy:

*dies a hundred songwriter deaths everytime Elmo says, "Let's sing the _________ song!""