Too old for Sesame Street

Drtooth

Reaction score
I could stand Elmo's World a lot better if every song he made was not set to "Jingle Bells" :eek::batty::crazy:

*dies a hundred songwriter deaths everytime Elmo says, "Let's sing the _________ song!""
I admit it was cute and funny as a running gag the first 200000000000000 times, but they really need to alter Elmo's world completely. Just to make it more tolerable. I mean, they had one episode that made multiple Looney Tunes references (including the wrong turn at Albequerque that Bugs keeps taking), so they are capable of humor on a more adult level. Too bad they don't excersize it outside of the ________ channel mkost of the time (the _______ channel is especially a treat if you like SCTV).

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I could stand Elmo's World a lot better if every song he made was not set to "Jingle Bells" :eek::batty::crazy:

*dies a hundred songwriter deaths everytime Elmo says, "Let's sing the _________ song!""
Add in the annoyance of Elmo asking an infant about things no baby even understands, let alone knows about in detail...like feet. The only things babies know about feet are that they are body parts, that they may smell, and that they are sometimes--in the case of the babies themselves--something to suckle or chew on. XD

Crazy31088

Reaction score
I, personally, feel that you only outgrow a show when it no longer has anything to offer you. Sesame Street, even in its current form, still offers me some laughs now and then, so I don't count it in the same camp as some other kids shows, which offer nothing to most people over the age of five (at least in my opinion). To give up on a show that still entertains you just because others have told you it's time for you to stop watching it, to me that's just peer pressure, which nobody should cave into for the wrong reasons (are there right reasons? I'm not sure, but I don't think so).

On the other hand, if you lose interest in a show and something else, perhaps another show, takes its place, then that's fine, by all means, don't stick with something just because you feel obliged to.

And I won't deny it, there was a time when I felt obliged to stick with watching Sesame Street every day. It still offered me some fun moments, but overall I was discovering other TV shows (among other things). I didn't "give up on it", because I still watched it occasionally (especially my library of episodes I have on tape), but if there wasn't a need to watch it every day, then I don't see why it's a bad thing to stop.

But to stop watching it altogether because someone tells you you're too old for it is like throwing away a perfectly good sweater that you like a lot, just because someone else has told you it's out of style. What's so wrong about hanging on to it?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Agreed. It's like me liking country music. Many people may frown on it, but I enjoy it, and by gum, I will enjoy it until I choose to stop enjoying it!

Redsonga

Reaction score
It's all in how you look at it though "something to offer" means different things to different people, and just because you know the basics does not mean that simple joys (which I don't think Elmo is one of anymore, at least today's Elmo, not the older one I loved) are ever something you need to stop enjoying...I've never felt the need (besides Romper Room) to move on from on show to another really, I just add it to the list of shows I like and keep on building upon them :smile:. I don't even need to watch something everyday to make it a part of my 'I will watch and enjoy this' list :smile:. I see so many new levels to a show the longer I like it that really it is like many shows in one :smile:...

ErnieandTelly

Reaction score
I will never stop wacthing Sesame Street espcially the clips on youtube.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And each of us is different. For example, I know some of us would prefer Fraggle Rock over Sesame Street or vice-versa, but for me personally, I consider them of the same cloth, for despite the different intentions, both are part of the Henson mold. As such, even though I saw FR more, I still bear a fondness towards SS, even despite all the dislikes towards its current incarnation.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, even if you don't like SS now that doesn't make the older show any less good IMHO :excited: One doesn't cancel out the other really, at least, to me :smile:.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Considering they're the same, sans generational differences in views and whatnot, I agree.

Katzi428

Reaction score
raising guilty hand
Every so often (when no one is around) I take little "sneak peeks" at Sesame Street"(not when Elmo's on though!)
WHEW! Now I feel better!:smile: