Traditional Animation: The Return

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
so, how "traditional" is this animation? Are they going to be going back to the hand drawn, hand color style, or are they going to be doing the hand drawn computer color style?

I'd rather it be the first one. I'm sorry, computers are great and all, but when something is digitally colored, it doesnt have the same feel as hand colored. (take a good look at the simpsons and see what I mean)

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I'm with Sgt Floyd... they're just something special about cell animation. Like how in the old 80's cartoons you can tell if something is going to move, like a landslide or something because of the colour of it as opposed to the rest of the background. *giggles*

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
so, how "traditional" is this animation? Are they going to be going back to the hand drawn, hand color style, or are they going to be doing the hand drawn computer color style?

I'd rather it be the first one. I'm sorry, computers are great and all, but when something is digitally colored, it doesnt have the same feel as hand colored. (take a good look at the simpsons and see what I mean)
Well it depends of how it's done.

The Little Mermaid is the last Disney feature film to use the traditional hand-painted cel method of animation. Disney's next film, "The Rescuers Down Under", used a digital method of coloring and combining scanned drawings -- CAPS (Computer Animation Production System), which eliminated the need for cels. A CAPS prototype was used experimentally on a few scenes in Mermaid, including the final wedding scene. Other CGI includes some of the wrecked ships in the final battle, a staircase behind a shot of Ariel in Eric's castle, and the carriage Eric and Ariel are riding in when she bounces it over a ravine. (Notice that the wheels aren't moving when it comes down for a landing.)
This film marked the one of the first uses of CAPS (Computer Animation Production System) in a Disney feature, seen in the movie's final scene. CAPS is a digital ink-and-paint and animation production system that colors the animators' drawings digitally, as opposed to the traditional animation method of tracing ink and paint onto cels (see Traditional animation). All subsequent 2D animated Disney features have used CAPS instead of ink-and-paint, with Home on the Range as the last one.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I Like how in the old 80's cartoons you can tell if something is going to move, like a landslide or something because of the colour of it as opposed to the rest of the background. *giggles*
heh! I know what you're talking about.:wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Me too. Spotting something before it happened was always fun.
But she means that it is highlighted and more brightly colored than the rest of the background so it is real easy to spot. It also looks less real and more cartoon-ish then the rest of the scenery.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But she means that it is highlighted and more brightly colored than the rest of the background so it is real easy to spot. It also looks less real and more cartoon-ish then the rest of the scenery.
Point taken.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Yes, exactly! It's because it's on a different layer than the background, which is obviously stationary. With computer colouring you can't tell anymore, which isn't quite as fun. :big_grin: