Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Besides if you boycott everything you never get to see any new movies :frown:
I'm not a big fan of modern movies, I tend to prefer older ones. But thankfully there are still times when I can be pleasantly surprised. :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Why oh why did I not see this before?
http://coryscuriosities.blogspot.com/

Thanks again Jamie, its quite exciting to see the writer of the Fraggle film such a fellow dedicated fan. Its like if Henson tapped one of us to write it. Good to hear the script is done and awaiting approval.

Wait, does this mean 2010 will see BOTH a Muppet and Fraggle Rock film?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It isn't a remake. The only things getting remade are the puppets and the sets because they have decomposed since the 80s and the Trash Heap ain't giving them back.
I don't see how this would be a remake... was Follow that Bird a remake of Sesame Street? Was the Muppet Movie a remake of the Muppet Show? I don't know if this would be a continuing where we left off, or a happening somewhere in between the show, but a remake is definately not what I'm expecting. Sure, with Sesame Street and TMS, they were able to toss off the conventions of the show for a more developed plotline that fits a movie... The guest starts in TMM did cameos, not song and dance numbers and Schtick with the characters... FTB didn't have Pinball number Count or films about kids writing to each other cutting through the action. But they kept the spirits of both those shows.

FR is different... unlike TMS or FTB, it was a purely plot driven TV show with nothing added to take time away from the plot or character development. A transition to the big screen seems like it would just build up from the show, add elements you couldn't fit in a half hour or cost more than the TV episode budget. Something more than a 90 minute episode, but keeping the spirit of the show.

I have nothing but faith in Corey here... I've said it before, and I'll say it again... he knows what we want to see, and he knows what we'd hate to see... and he's working very hard to keep us fans and the producers happy. No robots, no stunt casting (that we know of, and I doubt we'd see it), not a cheesy complete CGI version of itself... I don't see anything to worry about.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I didn't mean total remake when I said remake, I just meant mainly a remake in tone was what I was a little nervous about..It is true that TMM and Follow The Bird did not have any of those troubles, but they were also made in the 70's and 80's with a different team of people overseeing things...
Anyway, when I say remake I mostly mean tone which is the heart of FR I think. And before everyone says 'Don't worry be happy' again, I really don't think talking about these things is going to do any harm, since something truly good can't be hurt by just talking. I know it will be good, I will go watch it and drag along whichever of my friends babies that want to come, but I will also think about things deeply :smile:. It's how I show my love for movies I care about after all...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's a "remake" in that it's a reinterpretation of a classic show that was on years ago. It obviously can't be completely the same. I guess the correct word would be revisting. Follow That Bird was made while Sesame Street was on the air and not a reinterpretation.

And I agree, there's nothing wrong with talking, positively or negatively. "Silence, like a cancer, grows." :wink:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I don't see how this would be a remake... was Follow that Bird a remake of Sesame Street? Was the Muppet Movie a remake of the Muppet Show? I don't know if this would be a continuing where we left off, or a happening somewhere in between the show, but a remake is definately not what I'm expecting.
I honestly don't see how it could be an "in-between episodes"-type deal.
1. Doc is most definitely older.
2. Fashion and technology has changed. Yes, you can do an 80's period piece, but why?
3. You run the risk of messing with continuity between the episodes in question. Talk about resulting flame wars....

Although I personally liked Superman Returns, one thing that always made me laugh was this idea that it takes place roughly 5 years after the second movie and everyone kinda acts/dresses in a similar fashion ... but now we have cell phones, laptops, plasma screen TVs, etc. I know they needed it to take place around that time for plot-related reasons, but it still looks silly to have retro looks combined with modern tech. Batman the Animated Series had that kind of thing, but it was from the start and thus obviously a style choice.

I can only see the movie as a sequel of sorts. It's not like Fraggles themselves have known ages (or even if they count their own years the same way we do), and the Gorgs certainly have little to worry about, even if they're not there. :frown: It's a lot easier for it to take place now than to do an 80s period piece.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, even if you wanted to make it in the 80's (which I think would be okay) you would not be able to have our Doc play Doc if you did that..and to me that would be a shame :frown:. The good thing about the fraggles is they don't really age the way we do I don't think. So even if you are not like me and think they live to be nearly a hundred or more, slow aging is supported by their fraggley mindset I think :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, it's an overall Muppet characteristic. If Kermit was portrayed as old as he technically is (or Mickey Mouse and Barbie, for that matter), they'd be close to senile by now. :wink:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, it's an overall Muppet characteristic. If Kermit was portrayed as old as he technically is (or Mickey Mouse and Barbie, for that matter), they'd be close to senile by now. :wink:
That's true, I've always seen Kermit as forever twenty-something:coy:

CoryEdwards

Reaction score
From the Director

Interesting discussion (I told you I'd be reading!).

The words "remake" and "reboot" seem to have become dirty words, so I won't use them here. But in order to make the BEST MOVIE I can, some things from the series have to change. Hopefully, you will feel that the changes are things that make the Fraggle's world seem more real and more connected to the world we all live in now.

It's safe to say that this is not a sequel that picks up from the final episode. But it is also not a complete remake. It's something in between. It takes the world of Fraggle Rock and the ageless characters that live there and puts them in contact with our world TODAY.

Doc is still there, but he will be the same age you remember. Sprocket is still there, but still the same dog he was 25 years ago. So in the same way that Batman and Bond are forever young and forever regenerating, our intent is to keep Fraggle Rock the same as you remember, while connecting it to our current, modern times.

Tonally, you guys have nothing to worry about. I hear you. I'm not insane. I want you to like the film! Every line of dialogue and every scene is being carefully weighed against the ORIGINAL INTENT and TONE of the series. Lisa Henson and Brian Henson are reading every draft and sitting with me at every meeting. The heritage is being preserved. But that heritage also has to grow up to make some new fans from this generation of moviegoers.

I hope you understand that's what we're all trying to do: make a modern, relevant Fraggle Rock movie that comments on the world we live in TODAY. That was Jim's vision from the start, and so that's why TODAY'S WORLD plays a major part in the Fraggle's adventure. But no, there will be no kung-fu fights in slow motion.

I can't wait to make the film, and I earnestly hope you will love what we're doing.

Cory Edwards
Writer / Director, "Fraggle Rock: The Movie"