Well, I finally heard Steve's Statler

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I have seen one season 1 show, the Vincent Price episode, but Piggy's not in that one. I also listen to Muppet Central Radio a lot, but so far I haven't caught Richard's Piggy (or Erin's Janice) in everything. It seems like they play too much from Bear in the Big Blue House, but not quite enough Muppet Show songs or sketches. I'm really hoping I can catch an early Vet's Hospital sketch on that some time.

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
Okay. Richard Piggy is ssssssooooooooo much differant than frank's. Basicly, take scooter, and make it more femine and higher.

BTW does anyone have a link to the wheezer video? I ruly need to see it.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Jerry's doing Statler has nothing to do with his doing Floyd less. All the performers have always been able to handle multiple characters in one production. Jerry's just stepped back from performing as much, for whatever reason, since the mid-90s. The writers work around most of his other characters, but Statler and Waldorf are just too popular to retire.

To give you an indication of their popularity, a recent Internet poll asked a large group of people (mostly "non-fans," or perhaps "casual fans" is a better term) who was their favorite Muppet team. Ernie and Bert came in SECOND. As I recall, though E & B did well, Statler and Waldorf beat them by a fairly significant margin.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me who does Statler's voice now. They both do a great job and I'm sure the Henson crew will make the right decision. It would be nice if they found a consistent choice, but I find this time in Muppetdom exciting. Almost like a rebirth of their earlier days when noting was certain and good things were coming. :sing:

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Re: Reply

Originally posted by Daffyfan2003
I have seen one season 1 show, the Vincent Price episode, but Piggy's not in that one. I also listen to Muppet Central Radio a lot, but so far I haven't caught Richard's Piggy (or Erin's Janice) in everything. It seems like they play too much from Bear in the Big Blue House, but not quite enough Muppet Show songs or sketches. I'm really hoping I can catch an early Vet's Hospital sketch on that some time.
Try the Rita Moreno ep, if you have it. That's got the very first VH sketch in it with Richard doing Piggy and Erin voicing Janice, as well as in an At the Dance spot and some backstage spots. In fact, the only time Frank Oz does Piggy is during the "conversation panel" sketch (whatever it's called). So you can definately see the contrast between the two voices in that one episode.

And of course, one can't miss Rita Moreno slamming Animal's head between two cymbals. :wink:

-Kim

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Good catch. I was wondering what ep that was. :flirt: :wink:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Thanks, Kim. Yes. I can definately hear Frank's Miss Piggy saying that "Whacko taco" line in the conversation panel. I should get that one from Timelife in about a few months. Hopefully.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Jerry does just fine with Statler, and I haven't even seen the Weezer video, so I can't judge between the two. Just from what I've seen, I think he's done a great job--especially at MFest.

I was thinking just now that most of the more famous Muppets were Frank Oz's (from SS and TMS), but Jerry did TONS more characters and voices if you think about it--what with background voices and characters--than any of the others did. Jerry is a great and very unique performer.

Speaking of Jerry, did we ever find out what, with all the talk of him being sick, what was wrong and how he's doing?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I think I remember reading that he recovered. In fact, he might be posting on this board, but we're not sure.