Well, I finally heard Steve's Statler

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Re: Rats

Originally posted by Daffyfan2003
I just missed the "Temptation" number on Muppet Central Radio!

*bangs head on the keyboard.*

I really wish that they'd provide advanced notice on what is playing. Oh, well. Thanks for the info, Chilly.
LOL! Sorry about that. The version on the radio may be just the song, without the opening, so you may not hear Frank anyway.

Warrick: I'm sure one can get used to it over time. When I got the tapes, I was keeping an "ear" out for it! I think it's at least as noticeable as Rita Moreno and other episodes. :smirk:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

<<LOL! Sorry about that. The version on the radio may be just the song, without the opening, so you may not hear Frank anyway. >>

Or Richard. Well, I'm glad I didn't miss much.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Re: Reply

Originally posted by Daffyfan2003
<<LOL! Sorry about that. The version on the radio may be just the song, without the opening, so you may not hear Frank anyway. >>

Or Richard. Well, I'm glad I didn't miss much.
Piggy's the main singer in "Temptation," so if you had heard the number, you would have certainly heard Richard.

Unless what you were saying was "Well, I missed the number, so I didn't hear Frank or Richard."

Anyway, sorry you didn't hear it. :sympathy: Better luck next time!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Darn. I DID miss Richard. Fortunately, I have some free time today. I'll keep Muppet Central Radio on and hopefully I'll be able to catch that one again.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

You're a bit behind, Eric. We're now talking about Richard's Miss Piggy here. I probably should have started a new thread. Lol.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
I think Statlers one line in the Weezer video was the closest the character has come to sounding like "classic Statler" since Richard Hunt died.

:sleep: They're not half bad.

:boo: Nope, they're ALL bad!!

WiGgY

Reaction score
And I think it's time we got that voice back. Statler's voice was one of my favorites and it's too bad Statler's voice had to change. If the reason Jerry's characters aren't around as much is because he doesn't perform that much anymore, then free up the time it takes to do Statler by giving him to Steve. Let Jerry do any of his characters that haven't been around enough.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
Although I think Dave has finally figured out how to do Waldorf's voice, I think Jerry felt that Statler had to actually SOUND like an old geezer. Richard's Statler basically just had a deep voice. There was nothing really crotchedy about it. Jerry always seemed to do Statlers voice with a sort of wheeze to it, which is something Richard never did.

I have to give Dave credit though. Jim voice is very hard to imitate with certain characters. No one will EVER be able to do Dr. Teeth justice and at this point Bill's Rowlf just sounds like Bobo.

While we're on the subject, even though Brian Henson's Scooter voice may be a little high, who else thought it was almost dead on in Scooter's first scene, when he was whipsering to Gonzo in the walkie talkie? In fact, Brain even throws in a famous Scooter "Huh?!" after his attention is diverted by the rats trying to hoist Piggy in the air. Give Brian a few more projects and Scooter will end up becoming his most important character. I think the chances are good that Scooter is back, and here to stay.

Lastly, here is a Muppeteer cast list the way I envsion to see it if a new TV show ever gets into production. Someone correct any inaccuracies and spelling errors, if there are any:

Steve Whitmere: Kermit the Frog, Rizzo the Rat, Beaker, Statler

Eric Jacobson: Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal

Dave Goelz: Gonzo, Dr Bunsen Honeydew, Zoot, Waldorf

Bill Baretta: Pepe the Prawn, Rowlf the Dog, Bobo, Johnny Fiama

Brian Henson: Scooter, Sal the Monkey, Janice, Dr. Phil VanNeuter

Kevin Clash: Clifford

I've basically left Jerry Nelson off the list as who knows if he is going to be involved with future projects. Here's hoping that the Muppeteers listed above perform other characters we don't see often anymore. :attitude: , :crazy: , and :big_grin: for example.

We can dream.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Good list. Just a few comments. I'd recommend giving Janice to someone other than Brian. His didn't sound right (unless it was Erin's Janice instead of Richard's he was trying for.)

at this point Bill's Rowlf just sounds like Bobo.
Actually, I never thought Rowlf sounded like Bobo. In "Muppets From Space," I thought Bobo sounded like Rowlf. In fact, I thought it WAS Rowlf until I saw that it was Bobo talking. I think Bill is on the right track.

Some other characters which haven't been mentioned would be Sam the Eagle (I have no problem with the voice Kevin used for him, although quite a few people disagree), and Lew Zealand (He was performed by Bill in the Christmas movie and didn't sound right). He should be voiced by Jerry if he's available.