What Sketches Made You Laugh?

ISNorden

Reaction score
So how did he get cured?

Unfortunately, I've forgotten the way that episode ended; does anyone out there have it on tape? (I'm not looking for my own copy, just hoping you might know!)

Drtooth

Reaction score
The jazzy spies things creeps me out more. But you gotta love it!
Yeah for weirdness... Jazz Numbers > Pinball number Count.

But that has nothing to do with what makes you laugh.

Here's a couple more... not quite sketches, but main street storylines:

Happy Caps: The long billed ridiculous looking caps that Telly tried to sell that kept smacking Elmo right in the face, knocking him down multiple times. Elmo gets so angry, he even tells Telly to call them "Dangerous Caps"

The Number 11: While Telly is sitting by himself in the lot (in between the apartments and Hooper's) "Also sprach Zarathustra" sounding music appears, and the number 11 pops up, like the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Telly has become obsessed with seeing this again throughout the episode. He can't get the number 11 out of his mind, to the extent of saying to Luis : "YOUR LEGS! They look like a number eleven wearing PANTS!"

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I haven't seen that happy caps episode in years! I recall one scene where Telly, a semi-concious Elmo and some kids were playing "One of These Things" with Carlo. The answer was an O, which Elmo got right because of his moaning (OHhhhhh)

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I haven't seen that happy caps episode in years! I recall one scene where Telly, a semi-concious Elmo and some kids were playing "One of These Things" with Carlo. The answer was an O, which Elmo got right because of his moaning (OHhhhhh)
Poor Elmo. :frown:

But one episode that got me laughing was the 666 episode when Count spent all day counting people and lights on the Street.

ISNorden

Reaction score
One early 90s episode that I thought was funny, even though it starred my least favorite character: Elmo was upset that the letter of the day was O, and interrupted several letter segments throughout the show trying to change it to E. Eventually, he compromised with the disembodied announcer ("Mr. Voice" as Elmo called him), who agreed to allow two letter sponsors that day. (This one must have come at the tail end of the "two letters by default" years...) During the final announcements, "Mr. Voice" pointed out that Sesame Street was also brought to you today by the number 3. I'm surprised that Elmo didn't pester him into making it 4, since his complaint had to do with E being "the first letter in Elmo's name"! :attitude:

ISNorden

Reaction score
Happy Caps: The long billed ridiculous looking caps that Telly tried to sell that kept smacking Elmo right in the face, knocking him down multiple times. Elmo gets so angry, he even tells Telly to call them "Dangerous Caps"
Speaking of caps, have you seen the "thinking caps" episode (late 80s/early 90s)? One of the Muppet characters (I forget who) had been sold an "alphabet thinking cap"; it made random things and people appear based on whichever letter the wearer had in mind. The letter of the day happened to be T, so our cap-wearing friend accidentally summoned a tooth-brushing Telly Monster.

Telly begged this character to take the cap back, which he did--in exchange for a "number thinking cap" that projected an image of bright-colored balls, in whichever number the wearer thought of. When this Muppet thought of 75, the resulting images were so bright and cluttered that nobody else could see. So the Street residents asked him to return the number cap as well...

By the end of the episode, this Muppet had exchanged his number thinking cap for an apparently ordinary baseball cap; but the residents were begging him not to think about anything special. He did, though--and found himself in a baseball uniform, swinging a bat, as the final announcements played.

Drtooth said:
The Number 11: While Telly is sitting by himself in the lot (in between the apartments and Hooper's) "Also sprach Zarathustra" sounding music appears, and the number 11 pops up, like the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Telly has become obsessed with seeing this again throughout the episode. He can't get the number 11 out of his mind, to the extent of saying to Luis : "YOUR LEGS! They look like a number eleven wearing PANTS!"
Sounds like Cookie Monster's comment to Maria back in #276, in which the letter M (and Maria's legs, and everything else) reminded him of cookies. :insatiable: I saw that "11 sighting" episode myself, though, and agree that it was pretty darn funny.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but (and I'm sure you all have heard this story before) one time, I was watching Elmo's World, there was some sort of tape error... apparently, the tape or recording or whatever broke down, and froze. Elmo's laugh was still echoing. A minute into it, I looked over and saw the screen COMPLETELY froze up... and the worst part is, until then, I didn't know anything was wrong.

Sure, it doesn't exactly count, but that's totally hillarious in my book.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but (and I'm sure you all have heard this story before) one time, I was watching Elmo's World, there was some sort of tape error... apparently, the tape or recording or whatever broke down, and froze. Elmo's laugh was still echoing. A minute into it, I looked over and saw the screen COMPLETELY froze up... and the worst part is, until then, I didn't know anything was wrong.

Sure, it doesn't exactly count, but that's totally hillarious in my book.
Yeah, we've heard the story, and it's funny!