1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JJandJanice, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Marky

Marky Member

LOST: Season 2

Why? Cuz it's the beat show on TV right now. I call it Party of Forty Eight.
  2. PuppyLuver

PuppyLuver Member

The last one I bought with my own money was the complete 1st season of the Muppet Show. AWESOME. The last one I have recieved was Muppets from Space. I love it because it stars my favorite blue weirdo. ^_^
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

My mom decided to bend the rules just a little bit and let me go ahead and buy the other three seasons of M*A*S*H I wanted to get since she realized I was planning on buying them REALLY soon anyway; but then after that my spending days are over FOR REAL due to the upcoming holidays.

So later this evening, I'll be purchasing seasons three, four, and five of M*A*S*H to complete my DVD library of seasons one thru seven.
  4. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Yeah I probably shouldn't be buying anymore DVDs since the holidays are so close. But it's a hard habit to break, :) . Today I bought the Tommy Boy: "Holy Schnike" two disc set, because it's Chris Farley, him and Spade were so great together.

I did do pretty good for awhile here though, it's been like two weeks or so, ;)
  5. PuppyLuver

PuppyLuver Member

I bought a DVD of A Pup Named Scooby Doo last Thursday. :)
  6. Skeeter Muppet

Skeeter Muppet Active Member

I bought The Little Mermaid Special Edition DVD today.

And for all those who buy/rent this DVD...watch The Little Match Girl short on disc 2! It's just so beautiful, it- there are no words for how beautiful it is and how much it tugs on your heartstrings.

-Kim
  7. RevTieDye

RevTieDye New Member

For my wife: Friends, Vol. 2
    For the Kids: Iron Giant
    For me: ...

Man, I can't remember. It must have been--Oh, yeah. I bought HURRICANE at Wal-mart for $5, although I'd never seen it. Disposable movie rental I took on a business trip. I threw it away after I watched it.

Last thing I kept: Rush In Rio Concert DVD
  8. Marky

Marky Member

I would have bought the Star Wars theatrical releases... were they anamorphic and not bundled with the ones I already have!
  9. MrsWembly

MrsWembly New Member

The last DVD I bought was Little Manhattan. It is such a cute movie! Its the best love story I've seen for kids.
  10. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

Man, I haven't bought a DVD for myself in ages. Does Dualdisc count as a DVD? cause I bought the new Weird Al album and it's a dualdisc. Which means it has a CD on one side and a DVD on the other(Which is what record companies should have done instead of suing all these kids for illegally downloading music. just put extra stuff or make it a dualdisc with extra DVD stuff.)

Daniel
  11. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

The last DVD I personally bought myself was the great muppet caper about 7 months ago...I have gotten some since, but mostly as gifts
  12. Marky

Marky Member

I saw Muppets from Space and Manhattan both for 6.99 on DVD at WalMart. I don't have Manhattan at all, and I only have MFS on VHS.

My question to you fellow fans: are the bonus features any good on them? Is the commentary funny on MFS? I like MFS, and haven't even seen Manhattan since the 80s. Those two and Treasure Island are the only available major ones I'm missing.
  13. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

D'OH! *smacks forehead* the last movie I bought was Loony Toons Back in Action, not GMC...hehe :)
  14. Giar Fraggle

Giar Fraggle Member

Now, this is just an opinion, but I LOVE the MFS commentary. Dave's and Steve's performing chemistry and zany humor really shine through. In fact, every time I watch the movie I put the commentary on because it cracks me up.

So yes, it's very funny. ;)

The MTM DVD also has some nice bonus features. The real highlight is an interview with Jim Henson about the making of the movie. :)
  15. Marky

Marky Member

Thanks! I think I'll make the trip back and pick'em up!
    Now... I remeber seeing MTM back in the day on video - but I don't remember much of it. I see a lot of people here saying that it's not that great.

Should I avoid it? Is is the weakest of the films?
  16. Giar Fraggle

Giar Fraggle Member

It never really lived up to its predecessors, but I'd say it's worth having. There are some pretty funny parts, and stuff like the rats in the kitchen and the Muppets as babies are, in my opinion, too good to pass up. (And don't forget Rizzo's cinematic debut as more than a background character!)
  17. JJandJanice

I would say it's totally worth picking up, esp at such a cheap price.

I thought Manhattan, though not as good as Muppet Movie or GMC, is still better than a lot of stuff that Muppets have came out with in the past five or so years.

The only Muppet movies I'm missing from my DVD collection are MTI and MCC, which I plan on getting really soon.
  18. Marky

Marky Member

I think that quality of Muppet movies can easily be divided into 2 categories.
    1) Jim Henson
    2) post-Jim Henson

It's like comparing the original Star Wars trilogy to the prequels. Nothing compares or ever will compare to the originals, just as nothing Muppet can possibly compare with anything made before 1990. That said, I'm glad the SW prequels were made just as I'm glad there have been Muppet movies after JH's passing.

Of the post JH movies, I think that MCC is the best. Unfortunately, it's seasonal! lol! I mean I could pull it out on a nice May evening, but ehhh...!

But Janice, I think that MTM must be the "Return of the Jedi" of Muppet Movies! Not the best, but better than any post-Henson stuff!
  19. JJandJanice

Yeah I can agree with that.:D
  20. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I have that Movie! It's an awsome movie!