1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JJandJanice, Sep 10, 2006.

1. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Interesting thing about that movie.

Did you notice how in Space Jam they have Lola Bunny as Bugs' new gal pal, we'll say, however she was no where to be seen in Back in action. Bugs even makes the line "I don't need a female costar" or something along thoes lines. I found that very interesting.

I was reading an artice about Lola Bunny and it been said that the reason she was no where to be seen in the Back in action movie was because many Looney Tunes purists didn't take a liking to Lola on account of her seeming too snotty and didn't take any punishment (she was the only character in the Space Jam movie who didn't get beat up, even Tweety Bird took a few licks.). However she is still seen on Looney Tunes merichadise and that Baby Looney Tunes cartoon.

I don't know I found that interesting, :) ;) :D .
  2. Marky

Marky Member

Are you an actor? Is your avatar your headshot?
    (I say actor instead of actress b/c imo the word 'actor' is non-gender-specific)
  3. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Maybe the animators didnt think it was nice for a girl to get beat up ;)

Actually, I didnt really like her much. Shes fine in baby loony tunes. *note to self: buy space jam...again*
  4. JJandJanice

Yeah Lola doesn't really represent "classic Looney Tunes", which is about needless to say.

I use to be huge on Space Jam way back in 1996, when it first came out. To be honset I look back at it and think "What was I thinking?" :). No it's still a pretty enjoyable movie, but Micheal Jordan can't act his way out of a paper bag :sympathy: .
  5. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

lol. Yeah, he ant really act. I used to have the movie but in the midst of our move about...99% of all my VHS tapes went missing.
  6. Marky

Marky Member

Anytime Hollywood pulls in a jock, you know what to expect.
    Same goes for when an athelete hosts SNL (not that I've watched it since Will Ferrel left).
  7. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Funny Stuff!
  8. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Well, who need's her anyway?
  9. JJandJanice

Well, I won't disagree with you on that, :) .

Another kind of interesting thing about that too was that even before Lola Bunny, Bugs already had a girlfriend named Honey, although she was mostly seen in merchadise such as kids books and such.

Like I said I found that to be interesting, maybe not everyone esle, ;) .
  10. Marky

Marky Member

I know the next DVD I'm buying... the Superman II: Richard Donner Cut!!!

This is no mere re-edit - it's practically a whole new movie!!!

:cool:
  11. JJandJanice

Last night I bought "Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas" on DVD at this store called "Entertainmart".

Also what I found there was an old "Playhouse video" of the Muppets called "The Kermit and Piggy Story", with the original case, although the case wasn't in great shape, the video itself was better than I thought it would be, which was awesome. Not bad, and it was only 99 cents, :D :excited: .
  12. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

You mean that reminds you of Skeeter?

The thing about Lola to me is there's not enough thay can do with her to make her funny!
  13. Marky

Marky Member

That's the problem with too many female characters. All too often they get the short end of the stick when it comes to creativity in pop culture. They get thrown in as an after-thought, or a just as token female character for demographics' sake.
  14. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I can agree with that. Just throw in a female for the sake of looking more PC and it's the 90's or what ever.

The muppets when through simileir things with the lack of female muppeteers and chacertres. Not saying that's the reason for any of the female muppeteers being there.
  15. Marky

Marky Member

Skeeter is a prime example. Throw in another girl. Make her, I dunno, Scooters' sister? That way, y'know her name is derivitave. Oh, and make her like sports. That'll win us some PC brownie point fer sure.
  16. JJandJanice

You know I have to say, I'm a bit disappionted that no one said something like "Wow, nice find JJ on the Kermit and Piggy Story for only 99 cents, :) . Just kidding.

But anyhow, last night I brought "The World According to Sesame Street," which is an amazing documentary that was fun, smart and, who would of guessed, political.

But I was actually looking for "The Old School Set", I found it in only one place and it was 35 bucks, which I didn't have. So I went around a couple places, hoping that I'll find it cheaper. So I went to Target, they didn't have the "Old School set", but they did have this nice gem. It was only 15 bucks so I thought hey I heard this was really good, so I got it, and I'm glad I did.

But what brother me about buying this DVD is that Target put this DVD in the kids/family movie section. This is not a movie for kids, at all. There is even a disclamer stating that there is "adult subjent matter" and "not intended for children under 13," it just really brothers me that just because there are some Muppets on the cover, it should be put in the kids section. :rolleyes:
  17. Giar Fraggle

Giar Fraggle Member

And that just because the Old School Set contains SS episodes from the 70's, it's aimed at adults and even has a disclaimer stating something like "these episodes do not reflect current educational practices", despite the fact that, c'mon, it's SESAME STREET. Kids are gonna love it whether it "reflects current educational practices" or not. (Besides, look how good WE turned out!)

Our society is so messed up. :boo:
  18. Marky

Marky Member

Well come on, you open a crate, there's sesame characters on in... where else are ya gonna throw it???
  19. JJandJanice

Yeah but the diffenece between "Old School" and "The World according to Sesame Street" is that the "Old School" set is more aimed at adults, true, but there is nothing really wrong with a children wacthing it. Where as "The World according to Sesame Street" does discuss adult stuff that kids should not be wacthing.

But last night I finally got my Old school set, however it was a little messed up, so just awhile ago I went ahead and traded in that messed one for another brand new one.

So the last DVD I bought was "Sesame Street: Old School, Vol. one."
  20. JJandJanice

Well since the last time I've posted on this thread, I've been on more of a DVD spree.

First off awhile ago, I bought "Muppet Treasure Island", because I love anything Muppets, as anyone will tell you, :) ;) .

Than just today, since I got paid and wanted to treated myself, before I have to do more "important" things with my money, I bought...

1) Disney's Alice In Wonderland, because it's one of my personal favorite Disney films.
    2) Saturday Night Live: The Best of Saturday morning TV Funhouse. Because I think it will be funny.
    3) Tales from the Crypt: Season One, because I've always had a love for this show.
    4) South Park: The Hits Volume One, just cause I do love South Park.