1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What's your favorite Sesame 1-2-3's?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by The Count, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Soul H New Member

It's come back to me! I remember what happened!

It starts off with the 4 sitting in an open field, then 4 men grow from the ground and carry the 4 into the castle.

They show the 4 in the castle, then the 4 becomes all sparkly, and many wavy, sparkly lines go everywhere.

They go back outside to show the castle sparkling, them 4 balls fly out of the castle turning into 4 unicorns, then the unicorns fly away leaving a small blue 4 at the bottom centre of the land.

2. mikebennidict New Member

6 kids playing.

I just heard the song on MC radio. Apparently it was just from the show, Takes place in a park and it starts out 6 kids playing at the end of the day with their mommies & daddies arrive etc. Anyone know or has a rough idea on when this sketch was made? Unless it's a newer one.
  3. ISNorden Active Member

That sketch was made in the early 90's, although I don't remember an exact year or an episode number. The setting I do remember: it was a day-care center, not a park.
  4. ISNorden Active Member

That's one of the earliest number segments I remember seeing; does anybody know whether it aired in Season Two? (I seem to remember that Season One episodes never taught numbers higher than ten; if I'm right, the "11" clip couldn't be that old.)

Heck, yeah...I must've driven Mom crazy singing that one when I was a girl. If Sesame Workshop ever records a DVD of classic number clips, the "11" and "5" oldies definitely belong there. :sing:
  5. ISNorden Active Member

I'd nominate the "Jazzy Spies" series as my favorite classic number segments, with the "Pinball" series in second place and the "Baker" series in third. (I've always had a fear of falling, so those endings scared me when I was a kid.)

I've seen the #2 and #7 clips on a couple of vintage-TV sites (which closed down a few years ago, unfortunately). I remember reading that CTW pulled the #2 clip because parents complained about the two gangsters firing guns at each other. I also vaguely remember a devil's trident (held sideways to form a number 3 at the end) in the #3 clip...but haven't seen the whole thing since I was in grade school.

I agree with you that the "8/ate" wordplay in the #8 clip was pretty funny...I wonder how many other kids got the joke right away. (Ernie and Bert's "I ate the sandbox" sketch probably helped them, though!)
  6. ISNorden Active Member

*nods* That was an early computer animation, all right; the style reminds me of the "Nobody" sketch about the number 10. ("Nobody" was an unofficial nickname for the disembodied rubber-band face which did most of the talking/counting.)

Back to the 4 sketch, though: in addition to the squares, I have vague memories of other shapes illustrating the number (four vertical strokes, four rosette-like animations). Am I confusing sketches here? Please let me know...
  7. ISNorden Active Member

Yep, the parody was sung by a girl who takes a lunch break, but can't make up her mind about the sandwiches on a menu ("There's 18, and I don't know what I want...there's 18, I can't decide what I want"). She then sings a list of the sandwiches featured on the menu; a picture of each one appears, with its number in a corner nearby. (Believe it or not, when the girl sang "chopped liver, pastrami" I originally heard it as "chocolate or pastrami"--and wondered what a chocolate sandwich was doing on the menu. :zany: )

The song ends with the girl rejecting the menu: "18 sandwiches, I just don't know...forget the whole thing, I'll get a pizza to go!" (When she mentions the pizza, a drawing of the pizza fills the screen; a crowd of hands remove it slice by slice, revealing the number 18.)
  8. ISNorden Active Member

Did that elephant get stuck at the number 14, by any chance? If he did, then that clip was dubbed from a Swedish original....I can't resist doing an impression when the elephant hits "14--14--14" in Swedish.:flirt: )

Is that the animation of a tropical island underneath a full moon, whose reflection morphs into the numbers? It did have Hawaiian-style guitar music and a male offscreen voice naming each number (in English) as it appeared.

The "40 Dots" segment is on my scariest-ever list; that voice hyperventilating and screeching "thirty-niiiiine..." would sound evil in any language on Earth.

"Star Light" (with its "and many more!" ending as the speaker raises his arms skyward) is thought-provoking; that cartoon is the closest Sesame Street has come to teaching about infinity. (Simplifying that idea to "numbers go on forever" is appropriate to a children's show IMO.)

"Lemmings 1-40" amused me only mildly, although the surprise ending (all the others jumping onto the HUGE back of Lemming #40) was a clever sight gag.

While we're discussing those old counting-to-40 cartoons, I'm surprised you never listed "40 Blocks to School": the bluesy melody, the boy describing his reactions, and the clever placement of numbers were well done in my opinion.
  9. ISNorden Active Member

I don't speak more than a smattering of Hebrew (thanks to some Jewish friends online), but the word should be transliterated as arba. I agree with you, though, that the Hebrew-dubbed version of that clip sounded weird. (Not to mention more awkward than the Spanish version; almost all Hebrew number-words have more than one syllable.)
  10. mikebennidict New Member

I think you're right. There were a few thing that dealt with 4.
  11. mikebennidict New Member

I think that song' dumb but the story you tell is funny. Your mom should of just been happy you were learning how to count.
  12. mikebennidict New Member

Numbers in the military.

I looked though this whole thread so I doubt this was mentioned.
    a 0 who's a sergent orders all the numbers to line up and say their names. the 5 doesn't speak loud enough, the 9 thinks he's an 11 and get's scolded badly for it, the 17 is still asleep and the 0 has to runs back and get him.

After all the count's done and the 0 dismisses them, the 17 is left behind sleeping again.
  13. abiraniriba New Member

the originals and 24

I liked the famous falling baker sketches from the beginning. I also like the one for the number 24 where the Count is watching the show 24 on TV and the TV counts 24 seconds while the man hangs from this apparently extremely high cliff and then at the last second he loses his grip and... realizes that he's only two inches from the ground.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 HA HA HA!!!
  14. ISNorden Active Member

Wow, a new one for me!

Although I generally dislike sketches which make letters/numbers into characters with minds of their own, this one sounds funny and vivid enough for me to make an exception. (I've never seen it, though; does anybody know when this sketch originally aired?)
  15. ISNorden Active Member

Let's sing a song of--EEEEK!

I must be one of the few Gen-X kids who were glad to see those Baker sketches retired. First, the intense special effects at the beginning went a bit too far: how many other kindergartners thought those psychedelic numbers were going to zoom right out of the TV and hit them in the face? More of them than you'd think, I'll bet... :eek: Second, I had already developed a falling phobia for real-life reasons; seeing the baker lose his balance on the stairs every time only strengthened my fears. (Would it have bothered CTW too much if they'd let him come down safely once or twice? :concern: )

P.S. I thought the "24" sketch was clever, between the literal cliff-hanging image and the surprise ending. Although I could guess that the hero would end up unharmed, I didn't know how he'd manage it. (I also liked the twist after the show ended, with the Count deciding to count seconds until the next episode.)
  16. mikebennidict New Member

I belong to a forum on US cities and I typed up the film from youtube and somebody said On Beaver St. Near wall St.
  17. mikebennidict New Member

16 skit.

This was from the 90's.

There's a song that went with this. This 1 and 6 meet and become a 16. Song goes something like " 16, 16, 1 and 6 and nothing in between.
  18. Soul H New Member

I remember that. The 16 Samba.

He was a 1 from the country
    She was a 6 from the town
    He fell in love when he saw her wearing her carnival gown
    They had the orchestra playing
    It was a key to romance
    They made a brand new number when they begin to...dance
    16 that's the number I mean
    It's 1 and 6 with nothing in between
    16 you beautiful number
    So great for adding, subtracting, and counting and dancing the samba
    16 you honourable queen
    You're more to me than 3 and less than 18
    I love to write you, see you count you, feel you
    I love to write you sweet 16

(At this point the lyrics are sung again but with "Ah"-ing as muppets and animal-muppets dance with the 16)

We love to write you, see you count you, feel you
    We love you sweet 16
    16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16 etc. etc.

Classic song from 1993.

19. mikebennidict New Member

20. mikebennidict New Member

A 3 Song

A disco sounding song sund by Olivia with AM muppets backing her up.

Song goes like.

3 is so curvey. 3 is so tall. 3 is my favorite number of all.