Why did they cancel Muppets Tonight so quickly?

WiGgY

Reaction score
I think Muppets Tonight was funny but weak. From the shows I saw, many of the guest stars talked down to the muppets. Of course I didn't see all the shows. I think there is that human factor missing. Actors just don't know how to act any more.

Edit: Also there were too many news characters. Few new characters would work well in a new show. The ones that would work well are:

1. Pepe
2. Jonny and Sal
3. Possibly Andy and Randy, but only in small short scenes, not as main characters or even second level characters.
4. Bobo would work well. As I said before, Bobo in a new version of Bear on Patrol would be funny.
5. Phil van Neuter (sp?) maybe. I like this character but he may be too weird. Maybe if they used him in a different way. Personally, I'd rather see Bunsen and Beaker than Phil.

I think that's about it. I don't remeber too many other new characters that I would like to see in a new muppet show.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
yet where is Muppets tonight and all the other good shows ABC's canceled?)

and they still are being cancelled! one of the best new shows. MD's is being taken off for Celebrity Mole....well if the first two didn't do well why make a third? Alias was ok, but it got kinda too unbelievable....8 Simple Rules is ok.....but just ok! life with bonnie is horrible....and that's what i think!

Sarah

Salmoto

Reaction score
Muppets Tonight was one of the henson projects that would apologise for itself. they weren't allowed to use Frank Oz characters so Fozzie and Piggy would be used as guest stars. They didn't feel right putting Kermit in the lead, so they used Clifford. Not that there's anything wrong with Clifford, he's just not Kermit. As a secondary his hipness is an attribute, but as a main character, he was a bit tacked on.

They introduced new puppeteers with new muppets, and sometimes I think their perpose eally was to see who worked and who didn't. Bobo, Pepe, Johnny, Sal, and Dr. Van Neuter were great. Nigel, Mr. Poodlepants, Andy and Randy pig were not.

Even though it was only a decent Muppet project, it was an awesome prime time tv series. I wouldn't ever miss it, and I had friends that watched it religiously. It's a shame it was cancelled, given everyone's need for a breakout tv series, it would have fit in more now than previosuly.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by sarah_yzma
MD's is being taken off for Celebrity Mole....
Celebrity Mole ? Is this a fascinating programme about Celebrities who have moles ? Visionary !

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
when i saw the new characters on muppets tonight, i had no idea who they were or what they were doing there..i mean i just didn't give a hoot about clifford, seymour and pepe, johnny and sal, mr. poddle pants, or anyone. all i did care about seeing were the old gang like rowlf, floyd, lew zeland, people like that...but now a days, especially when i saw all of the muppets tonight characters in the christmas movie that aired back in november, i think they're funny and couldn't imagine the muppets being the same without them...

ryan

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Celebrity Mole ? Is this a fascinating programme about Celebrities who have moles ? Visionary !
woah...dumber than advertised

Sarah:wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Celebrity Mole has all the US reject actors that hardly anyone knows or remembers all playing a faux spy game at a remote location. One is a double agent who screws things up. Yawn.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
hehehehehehhehehe!

I agree. Muppets Tonight was too new. They just handed us all these new characters that we're not used to. (which shouldn't be a bad thing. It's like getting a new sitcom.) If they had done that the wya they "introduced" Scooter, it might have worked better.

Sorry, Luke. Didn't quite get what you were saying. I'm surpirised it didn't do well over there. I mean, have you even seen Absolutely Fabulous?????? :big_grin:

I actually liked Father Ted, though. Monty Python's gooooood.

Hey, speaking of "doing well", how's Star Trek Nemesis doing over there? It is doing awful over here, for various reasons. I liked it, but it's not doing well over here. Doing well there?

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter

Hey, speaking of "doing well", how's Star Trek Nemesis doing over there? It is doing awful over here, for various reasons. I liked it, but it's not doing well over here. Doing well there?
i liked it....my dad cries when he sees something with Data on it...it's kinda scary!

Sarah