1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Why did they cancel Muppets Tonight so quickly?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Movies205, Jan 9, 2003.

1. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

I agree with some of those points but I also don't think they caused the cancelation of the show.

1. Clifford. He would have been fine except Kermit was pushed too far back. From the shows I saw Kermit barely showed up. Also, I've heard that Frank Oz's characters were not allowed on the show except as guest stars. What was that abot and will they be allowec in a new muppet show?

2. Modern music. I can't say that I agree with this. The muppets can't do the same old acts over and over again. It was the 90's and they did 90's music. You can't fault the muppets for doing newer music on a new show. I liked the Kermit Music video. That was great!

3. Too much story. I partially agree on this. It did annoy me that when there was an act on stage they cut to Clifford doing something or Bob at the desk. "Finish the acts people!" is what I thought every time the cut from one. I don't think the Muppet Show did this, or if they did, not nearly as often. I think sometimes Muppets Tonight did this because the act was stupid and they wanted to do some story stuff.

4. The "whoop" with Clifford at the begining was kind of annoying. Too weird and pointless. If it were a live show and the audience did that then fine but to force it was stupid. The Muppet Show used canned laughter but in all the right moments and for the right reasons. We didn't need the "whoop".

now for my own points

5. Bad human actors sometimes. Not as bad as KSY but not as good as TMS.

6. Sketches that went no where or where the idea was beter than the sketch. Example: The new Pigs In Space. The one that I saw was pretty bad. I loved the computer jokes but what was with that prune and human princess? Plus the titles was just too long. I know that was a joke but it was a long way for one. I just found it annoying after a while.

7. Too new. I know we can't have the old muppet show but muppets tonight was too new. The characters, the format, the host, everything!.

I liked many of the sketches that mixed old and new characters. Sam doing his round table with Andy and Randy was great. I also loved Gonzo and Rizzo doing Incredible Discoveries, or something like that. I think if Gonzo was replaced by Kermit when for many back stage scenes and Spamila replaced by Piggy in that Bay of Pigs (or whatever) sketch it could have done better. Spamila should have been dropped all together.

If the new muppet show is done like VMMC then I think we could have a great new show. Do it in the new theater set, mix old and new, and get good writers. Rowlf as Jonny's pianist was a good choice and Pepe as the business dealer was also great. Pepe as anything is great :D .

Ok that's my rant :D

2. SillyRed

SillyRed Member

They did 80's songs, too
    Dancing With Myself
    Once in a Lifetime, etc.

3. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Basically they did what the muppets do. They did contemporary music. What else could they have done?

4. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Those were awesome.

5. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Well-Known Member

Hey, speaking of "doing well", how's Star Trek Nemesis doing over there? It is doing awful over here, for various reasons. I liked it, but it's not doing well over here. Doing well there? [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks to how bad the star trek nemesis movie and script was, i doubt there will be another star trek film....this is a franchise and when franchises don't do that well money wise, then there will not be another film again, in this case, another star trek flim....so far, nemesis is the lowest star trek film for how much it is making...it costs 60 million or a little more to make, plus 30 million for tv ads, posters, etc. and it's only made less than 40 million in almost a month....

ryan

6. ryhoyarbie

oops, you made the same post as i did..i should read more...dang it

ryan

7. ryhoyarbie

pepe is getting a little to annoying for my tastes...he's funny and all, but he's getting more screen time than a lot of the classic muppets, and that makes me a little sorry for rowlf, scooter, and the electirc mayhem...

ryan

8. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

That's not Pepe's fault. That is the fault of the screenwriters. They must find writing for Pepe fresh and interesting. And Scooter had a pretty solid part in the special. Rowlf needed more lines, but Pepe held his own. I don't think they should have toned down pepe; they should have cut out some of the human screen time. It wasn't really necessary. Pepe is needed to hook new viewers into the show and blends well with the cast. He's not like Clifford. No one else can do his sort of part.

9. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

If Rowlf and Dr. Teeth have new people to do their voices why haven't these characters gotten the chance to speak much? Is it just writters or are the performers nervous about taking over the roles? I'd like to hear the new Rowlf more and louder. Barely audiable lines aren't enough. Scooter is back so why not Rowlf?

Speaking of Scooter, I'm glad that character is back. I think he is part of what was missing from Muppets Tonight. Rizzo is an ok stage hand but Scooter is the best.

10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Rowlf had a great part in the Weezer making-of the video. I don't know why they don't use more classic characters, but new Muppets are always important and Pepe is very popular. I guess they have to slim down the cast parts. They've done that since The Muppets Take Manhattan. Ever since that film, increasingly more characters are pushed into the background.

11. ryhoyarbie

time to go to henson and demand them to put the classic characters in the movies and specials with more of a part..

ryan

12. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

yeah...pepe is the one that can stray.....(i said this somewhere else but oh well!!!) who else would leave with a banker, and have intentions to shake some bon bons??? pepe's kinda like a scapegoat. if they need someone to do something wrong, pepe can do it!!!

i mean i love rowlf and the EM but do we want to see them do stuff like that? (well i don't know bryon might want to see janis shaking some bon bons...) and you can't stay mad at pepe. he does all this stuff wrong, but he is a smooth talker...

pepe is also used to help build a new fanbase, i think...

yes i agree there are more characters we need to see more often, VMMCM seemed like a good start, we saw a lot more of scooter (though i still don't get the lamp shade thing) and we saw rowlf, and even heard janis, so it looks like someone is listening to the fans!

Sarah

13. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

For some reason, it's something drunks do at parties. :D

I bet Scooter's a real part-goer late at night! Tips the bottle, shakes HIS bon bon. That stuff.:D :D :D

Sorry, Scoot.

14. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

ok thanks for shedding some light on that (excuse the pun)

there's some bad thoughts for me to have nightmares tonight....

Sarah

15. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

You're excused. :)

16. hdofu

hdofu New Member

My guess would have been it was that new host, he just was not able to fill Kermits fins... I mean shoes :D as they even made fun of in the first episode. It was like when Dauget took over for <Mulder on the X Files or when Andy Dick took over for Don Adams on Get Smart.

17. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

*runs around in circles screaming* HDOFU MADE A FUNNY!!!

i am acting a little odd today................................................hehe..

Sarah

18. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

So that explains the opening number that he thought up for the Sandy Duncan episode. Lol.

19. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

aww now i am REALLY going to have weird dreams about scooter

Sarah

20. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

Sorry to defer off topic but I must defend Star Trek Nemesis... IT ROCKED! LOL IT was a great movie, though it try to be a lot like Star Trek 2 it was a great movie and hte only reason it doing bad is because of Lord of the Rings...