1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Why did they cancel Muppets Tonight so quickly?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Movies205, Jan 9, 2003.

1. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Audiences reacted rather poorly to the movie previews in every theater I saw it play. That might have had something to do with it. That and the fact that Star Trek has had so many different incarnations that some people are just bored of it. Maybe they should take a rest and come back. Just a thought. I liked the first couple of movies.

2. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Well-Known Member

they did take a rest for 4 years...the last star trek movie was in 98 and this one came out in 2002, but i say the reason why the movie is doing so poorly is because it came out in the worst time cause lord of the rings came out a few days later, followed by catch me if you can and gangs of new york.......

ryan

3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The fact that there are 5 different Star Trek shows (one of them current) playing every day in syndication is what I am talking about. I think the poor ratings of the new show didn't help inspire non-fans to see the movie - even though one has little to do with the other. But I must admit to being rather sick of Star Trek these days. They seem over exposed IMHO. I think other people might feel the same.

4. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

Not overexpose just not using it potential.... They need a new fresh star trek show like Deep Space Nine....

5. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Exactly!

Oh, and frogboy4, in New York State, not a SINGLE STATION shows Star Trek. Nowhere in New York State. Used to be on a Denver channel, but no more.

I know, Denver's not in New York. :D

6. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

UPN is nationally playing Star Trek Enterprise. I doublt the New York affiliates have dropped the program.

7. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Star Trek is still on UPN in New York. I think he meant that there are no stations that play reruns of old Star Trek series. Although that isn't true either. UPN plays Voyager on sunday at 6pm, in the tri states area that is.

8. ryhoyarbie

i thought deep space nine was the best star trek show....characters like garak, gul dukat, quark, etc. made it a great show to watch....although i got tired of sisko winning a little to muchm and they should have promoted obrien from a chief petty officer to something like lieutenant commander or something like that since he was the chief engineer and knew more about starship operations, etc. than bashir or the 2 women who played dax..

ryan

9. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

That what I'm saying.... I also like Star Trek Voyager...

I seriously think they should do a show with a bunch of short stories... from species across the galaxy... Like one could be about a day in the average cardsasian person...

10. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

I'm kind of dissappointed that they went back in time instead of forward. I guess there is only so much you can do with a story when you keep going forward in time. I've adjusted to "Enterprise" and not having shields or widely used transporters. I would like to see a Voyager movie though. That was a great cast and I think a movie would be cool.

11. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

I have to agree, my friend said the same thing....

12. ryhoyarbie

according to rick berman and company, they wanted to do something fresh and exciting..the pre-startrek concept beat the lets go into the future and see what star trek is like in the 25th or 26th century concept and even the era of time where ds9, tng, and voyager were in...

ryan

13. ryhoyarbie

back to ds9, did anyone feel that obrien should have been promoted?....i personally got tired of him saying sir to just about everyone around him cause they were all higher in rank but much younger and less knowledgeable than he was...

ryan

14. ryhoyarbie

this thread has turned from the most underused muppet to the star trek thread...haha

ryan

15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I know. LOL! I love the Muppets, but am rather Star Trekked out. I keep coming back when there's notification of a new post, but there's no longer anything of Muppet interest here. Might be better to create a different thread for the topic in the General Discussion section. More Trek fans will be aware of it there - could open up more dialogue for you guys. As it is, I kind of feel like unsubscribing to the thread. But many of these threads get off topic, so it's nothing new.

16. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Ooooops! Hehe! I meant Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Hehe!

DS9 was the best show, and they do show Enterprise. They show TNG, and (ugh) Voyager.

Er, isn't that funny how this turned totally sideways? I mean, from Muppets to Star Trek. I get the feeling that was my doing.

Hehe!

17. ryhoyarbie

me 2, i keep on asking all of these ds9 questions...hehe...maybe we should but this in the general discussion

ryan

18. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

Frogboy you should change the name of this topic and move it to general discussion?

19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know why, But I never quite got into Star Trek.. I mean, I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not my cup of mud! I did watch a lot of tng when I was 9, though...

Gettting back on topic, here's my problems with MT

1) Bay of Pigswatch and Pigs in Space TNG.. I mean, why create such dull characters as Spamala Lee and David Hasslehog? I mean Steve could have played Link Hogthrob on both... they just didn't have the chemestry of Link, Piggy, and Dr. Strangepork.

2) Frank's tendancy to come and go, since he is a director, means that his top characters were only available if (a another performer did them (B if he prerecorded, or (c they had small bits here and there.

3) Certain Characters were continued, some were not (Scooter, Janice, Dr. Teeth, and Rowlf were all reduced to B.G. characters.

4) Statler and Waldorf weren't at the theater... something about that didn't sit well with me.

5) darting timeslot. It was on fridays, but they decided to put on more episodes of the Unfunny "Boy meets world" show, and when they finally dropped it on Sundays, it was another hour of America's Funniest videos.. or as I'd like to call it, the TV show that wouldn't die....

But I must say, the best characters are becoming perminant fixtures in the Muppet Canon (not the one Gonzo likes to shoot himself out of, by the way)

Bobo: He was the best thing about MFS.... Jeffory Tambor had too much of the movie to himself, without Bobo, it wouldn't have been much good.

Pepe: He has such a cult following ahead of him.

Johhny and Sal: What can I say? Who else likes the idea of a Sinatra-esque singer with a goofy little Monkey side kick..

20. camilla

camilla Member

I;m thinkng back to Muppeta Tonight I've got a wh9le load of them on tape somewhere.

I think i found alot o the sketches annoying. including Clueless and Polly, Pepe and Seymour, the elvises, Dr Van Neuter etc. Not enough old muppets for my liking.
    Did like Sal and Bobo and i id not mind Andy and Randy. They could be funny. Clifford was ok but prefer Kermit. I might watch them again soon

Camilla