Why did they cancel Muppets Tonight so quickly?

WiGgY

Reaction score
I agree with some of those points but I also don't think they caused the cancelation of the show.

1. Clifford. He would have been fine except Kermit was pushed too far back. From the shows I saw Kermit barely showed up. Also, I've heard that Frank Oz's characters were not allowed on the show except as guest stars. What was that abot and will they be allowec in a new muppet show?

2. Modern music. I can't say that I agree with this. The muppets can't do the same old acts over and over again. It was the 90's and they did 90's music. You can't fault the muppets for doing newer music on a new show. I liked the Kermit Music video. That was great!

3. Too much story. I partially agree on this. It did annoy me that when there was an act on stage they cut to Clifford doing something or Bob at the desk. "Finish the acts people!" is what I thought every time the cut from one. I don't think the Muppet Show did this, or if they did, not nearly as often. I think sometimes Muppets Tonight did this because the act was stupid and they wanted to do some story stuff.

4. The "whoop" with Clifford at the begining was kind of annoying. Too weird and pointless. If it were a live show and the audience did that then fine but to force it was stupid. The Muppet Show used canned laughter but in all the right moments and for the right reasons. We didn't need the "whoop".

now for my own points

5. Bad human actors sometimes. Not as bad as KSY but not as good as TMS.

6. Sketches that went no where or where the idea was beter than the sketch. Example: The new Pigs In Space. The one that I saw was pretty bad. I loved the computer jokes but what was with that prune and human princess? Plus the titles was just too long. I know that was a joke but it was a long way for one. I just found it annoying after a while.

7. Too new. I know we can't have the old muppet show but muppets tonight was too new. The characters, the format, the host, everything!.

I liked many of the sketches that mixed old and new characters. Sam doing his round table with Andy and Randy was great. I also loved Gonzo and Rizzo doing Incredible Discoveries, or something like that. I think if Gonzo was replaced by Kermit when for many back stage scenes and Spamila replaced by Piggy in that Bay of Pigs (or whatever) sketch it could have done better. Spamila should have been dropped all together.

If the new muppet show is done like VMMC then I think we could have a great new show. Do it in the new theater set, mix old and new, and get good writers. Rowlf as Jonny's pianist was a good choice and Pepe as the business dealer was also great. Pepe as anything is great :big_grin: .

Ok that's my rant :big_grin:

SillyRed

Reaction score
They did 80's songs, too
Dancing With Myself
Once in a Lifetime, etc.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Basically they did what the muppets do. They did contemporary music. What else could they have done?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Hey, speaking of "doing well", how's Star Trek Nemesis doing over there? It is doing awful over here, for various reasons. I liked it, but it's not doing well over here. Doing well there? [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks to how bad the star trek nemesis movie and script was, i doubt there will be another star trek film....this is a franchise and when franchises don't do that well money wise, then there will not be another film again, in this case, another star trek flim....so far, nemesis is the lowest star trek film for how much it is making...it costs 60 million or a little more to make, plus 30 million for tv ads, posters, etc. and it's only made less than 40 million in almost a month....

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by Movies205
I cry at the end of STar Trek Nemesis, the only other movie I cry at was REquiem for a Dream. As for Nemesis it doing all right not as good as the prequals did in the box office but... that because of Lord of the RIngs. It made 35 mil so far with a 70 mil budget. I has 35 mil. left to go to break even.
oops, you made the same post as i did..i should read more...dang it

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
pepe is getting a little to annoying for my tastes...he's funny and all, but he's getting more screen time than a lot of the classic muppets, and that makes me a little sorry for rowlf, scooter, and the electirc mayhem...

ryan

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That's not Pepe's fault. That is the fault of the screenwriters. They must find writing for Pepe fresh and interesting. And Scooter had a pretty solid part in the special. Rowlf needed more lines, but Pepe held his own. I don't think they should have toned down pepe; they should have cut out some of the human screen time. It wasn't really necessary. Pepe is needed to hook new viewers into the show and blends well with the cast. He's not like Clifford. No one else can do his sort of part.

WiGgY

Reaction score
If Rowlf and Dr. Teeth have new people to do their voices why haven't these characters gotten the chance to speak much? Is it just writters or are the performers nervous about taking over the roles? I'd like to hear the new Rowlf more and louder. Barely audiable lines aren't enough. Scooter is back so why not Rowlf?

Speaking of Scooter, I'm glad that character is back. I think he is part of what was missing from Muppets Tonight. Rizzo is an ok stage hand but Scooter is the best.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Rowlf had a great part in the Weezer making-of the video. I don't know why they don't use more classic characters, but new Muppets are always important and Pepe is very popular. I guess they have to slim down the cast parts. They've done that since The Muppets Take Manhattan. Ever since that film, increasingly more characters are pushed into the background.