Why is Sesame Street slowly dying?

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
BTW, Lonely Wolf, you never told me what important things you put all of your energy into, besides being a troublemaker on this board.
The things I channel my energy into are causes that I feel passionate about, like art and politics, and issues of social justice, the latter of which I would have thought that you, being a social worker, would feel strongly about too. But I see now it's obvious that complaining about modern SS is much higher on your priorities. Ah,well. To each his own.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I don't know about vintage Sesame Street boring kids, but some people sure post some loooong and boring posts to defend modern Sesame Street.
Yeah, as opposed to some people who do nothing but post fifty million times to complain that a kids show doesn't meet their selfish standards and expectations.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
how long is this going to go on. this topic has been brought up to much anfd i think most here oughta just knock off the ranting about it. while i like the old SS better i can probably understand them making changes for whatever reasons. just shut about it! it's been covered and we don't need to go over it again and again and again.

Censored

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
The things I channel my energy into are causes that I feel passionate about, like art and politics, and issues of social justice, the latter of which I would have thought that you, being a social worker, would feel strongly about too. But I see now it's obvious that complaining about modern SS is much higher on your priorities. Ah,well. To each his own.
I don't have to talk about things like that. I take real action to deal with those issues in a positive way every day in my line of work.

Exactly HOW do you go about channeling your energy into all these deep topics? Tell us, O wise wolf.

Censored

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
Yeah, as opposed to some people who do nothing but post fifty million times to complain that a kids show doesn't meet their selfish standards and expectations.
If you don't like it, tough. Go howl at the moon.

Censored

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I will say whatever I want on here, as often as I please, as long as I am not breaking any of the rules of the board. If it annoys you, read someone else's posts.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Here are my 2 cents...

Being nostalgic about the old days is ok at times. To be nostalgic means (and I'm quoting from the dictionary here) – to be unhappy at being away and longing for familiar things or persons. You may miss seeing the classic characters, skits, songs, and format of Sesame Street. You may want to see it back on TV. You may reminisce about the classic skits and shows, and even watch old tapes and clips. You may even share these things with others. This is being nostalgic; this is good; this is fun. But there is one thing I don't like, using nostalgic thoughts as a basis for hate. The two (nostalgia and dislike) are mutually exclusive.

I miss seeing Roosevelt Franklin, but I don't use that to justify hating Elmo. Say you enjoy Sesame Street from 1982-1987, that's fine - but to say that because of you love “old school sesame” you need attack Sesame Street of today is uncalled for.

If you want to share dislike for the current Sesame Street I’m ok with that. I don’t think everyone in the world does (or should have to) love Sesame Street of 2005. But if you want to attack it, and claim it is bad give rational, fair and unprejudiced reasons. Saying “it use to be better", or "it isn't how it use to be", or "in the 1970's Sesame Street was more fun and less annoying" means nothing as solid argument. Although I disagree, I would respect an argument of "Elmo's speech and social skills set bad examples for kids today", rather than hearing "Snuffy no longer being imaginary is stupid; thus the show now is", or “Harvey Kneeslapper and Sherlock Hemlock are gone, the show is just dumb now.”Things change.

Judge the show of today as a show of today, not as a show of today which should be exactly the same as when you were a kid. Things change - entertainment values, education techniques, social environments, performers, ideas - in 35+ years the show could not (and has not stayed the same). Just because it is different does not make it worse (it does not necessarily make it better either).

Kids like the show, kids watch the show, kids enjoy the show. That’s not to say they wouldn’t do the same to the old show – or that they would like one more than the other – but saying Sesame Street has changed a lot thus it is no longer good it nonsense. If you want to say why the Sesame of 2005 is bad, go ahead – but don’t include on your list of reasons 2005’s Street is bad things like “No more Buster the Horse”, “Snuffy is real”, or “The fix-it Shop was cooler than a Mail-it shop” – include things like “Journey to Ernie is over repetitive and boring for kids”, or “Elmo’s world focuses on one character and setting too much”, or “Baby Bear is not a relatable character”. Don’t judge Sesame of today against the Sesame of the past. Judge the sesame of today against today. Comparing it to the past will always cause a battle as some people prefer today’s while other prefer yesterday’s – and that’s a hard thing to argue which is better – unless you use unbiased, independent objections against the show, rather than just broad and subjective claims of the show dying or being killed due to change. I have nothing agaisnt reminising, I have nothing agaist critiqueing - I do have something agaist unfair, bias, and illogical compairisons as basis for argument and dislike.

I don’t know if anything I just said made any sense. It is late at night now (or should I say early morning), and I’m rambling and ranting. But as I learned from this thread – I have a right to. So hope you got something out of this post.
Hakuna Matata: you gotta put your behind in the past... Err...what I meant to say is you gotta put the past behind you… But you must never forget the ones of the past. Embrace change!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:

Preach brother preach. I've been on this site since it first came to Vbulliten. And ALL I've been hearing are the Same posts, about the same crap over and over. Heck, I USED to be one of those Anti-Elmo people. but then I grew... grew knowing there are much worse things in life than not seeing Sam the Machine without a tape trade. Personally, I'm more worried about Disney owning the Muppets than not seeing the 123456789101112 twice on every episode, DISPITE the fact that it's on at least 2 DVD's by now.

In GeeBee's opinion, everyone who wants to see the show live on is just a boring poster.... Guess what, we're as sick of defending it as you are of hearing it. Ya don't like that a kid's show is for kids? You don't like how they wore the sketches out after reptitive play and wanna give them a break? Fine. Tape Trade.

Personally, every since Newbie to the SS forum just parrots the same thing over and over. I feel these are just as bad as the same old "whut R the 2 guys in the balconey names R?" and "wuz Mis Piggie evrr on sesumy street?" posts that keep popping up on the board. maybe if we can just put all the same complaints into one solid thread, and not having every body post 87777 threads a week about the same opinionated opinion, to which the REAL Muppet and SS fans have to pretty much type up a form letter to answer.

The bottom line is... today's kids are not you. SW doesn't have to form fit the show to nostalgic people. They HAVE to form fit it for little Suzie and Tommy Everykid that's in the demographic of 2-4! I would like to see the classic stuff released to DVD or something like all of you. That I can agree on. But us REAL Muppet and SS fans, who stick with them no matter what happens are as sick of defending the show, as we are of you fair weather fans polluting the message board with the same opinion at least 3 times every day!

After all, that IS why Phil cracked the SS forum into 2, for nostalgic fans and for people who supported the show since they were young.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Personally, every since Newbie to the SS forum just parrots the same thing over and over. I feel these are just as bad as the same old "whut R the 2 guys in the balconey names R?" and "wuz Mis Piggie evrr on sesumy street?" posts that keep popping up on the board. maybe if we can just put all the same complaints into one solid thread, and not having every body post 87777 threads a week about the same opinionated opinion, to which the REAL Muppet and SS fans have to pretty much type up a form letter to answer.
I agree. And I would also add the tired old "are Ernie and Bert gay" question to that list. It's as old as the hills and no longer funny or original.

BTW, I hope you didn't mind my bumping up that other thread in the classic SS forum and using part of your quote for my own purposes. I did it because I wanted to prove what I already knew -- that I wasn't the only one who felt this way.

What amazes me even more though, is that those who complain about the state of current SS, still watch it pretty regularly even though they don't like it. I mean, let's say you knew someone who say for example, doesn't like little kids, and yet eats lunch at Chuck E. Cheese every day I would wonder why they would subject themselves to that if they don't like kids and I wouldn't have any sympathy for their complaining either. :confused: Some people are just born masochits, I guess.

Censored

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Preach brother preach. I've been on this site since it first came to Vbulliten. And ALL I've been hearing are the Same posts, about the same crap over and over...
Then why do you want to be on this site?

Drtooth said:
In GeeBee's opinion, everyone who wants to see the show live on is just a boring poster.... Guess what, we're as sick of defending it as you are of hearing it.
Then stop defending it and stop reading my posts.

Drtooth said:
Personally, every since Newbie to the SS forum just parrots the same thing over and over. I feel these are just as bad as the same old "whut R the 2 guys in the balconey names R?" and "wuz Mis Piggie evrr on sesumy street?" posts that keep popping up on the board. maybe if we can just put all the same complaints into one solid thread, and not having every body post 87777 threads a week about the same opinionated opinion, to which the REAL Muppet and SS fans have to pretty much type up a form letter to answer...
Nobody has to type or answer anything that they don't want to. Why don't you simply ignore the type of threads you don't like and focus on the aspects of MC message boards that you enjoy? Or is there any aspect of MC message boards that you enjoy? It sounds like you have nothing, but contempt for the messages and all of the people on here. Why punish yourself? In any case, I will continue to say what I want as long as I'm not breaking any rules and I certainly encourage everyone else to do the same.